Two of my bikes were stolen :( - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Two of my bikes were stolen :(

I'm in a tough spot right now and could use some help.

Last year in August, before I shipped out to Army basic training, I dropped two of my motorcycles off with my trusted mechanic whom I'd gone to several times in the past with great service. He operated out of his garage and was extremely knowledgeable. Little did I know, he was going through a divorce with his wife and would be moving while I was away in the Army. The agreement was that he could keep the Honda if he fixed the Kawasaki, which he said wasn't going to be a problem.

Fast forward to last month. I *FINALLY* get ahold of him on the telephone. He had changed his numbers and the listings on the internet just led to a phone that rang and rang. Somebody got tired of me ringing the phone in 10 minute blocks, so they answered the phone and gave me his cell phone number.

I got in touch with him and he sounded nervous and shocked to hear from me. He told me that he wasn't able to get ahold of me since he lost my phone number. Since his wife was kicking him out of the house and he was moving into an apartment, he didn't have a lot of choices (despite looking up my parents listed phone number).

He told me that he parted out the Honda (1979 Honda CX 500) on ebay, and the bike he was supposed to fix, 1982 Kawasaki KZ440, he put along side the curb and let somebody pick up the bike. I believe the only reason he did not sell the Kawi is that I didn't give him the key.

He knows he did wrong and said he's willing to repay me for his error, however, he expected me to have a dollar figure then and there to toss around. The kawasaki, although now ~25 years old, was in near mint shape with not a scratch on the body work. I have all brand new, old stock parts for this bike in my basement (headers, exhaust, polished carbs, polished fenders, etc.) If I bluebook the bikes, I don't expect it to come up with more than $10, however, the reality is that I could have parted the bitch out on ebay for much more.

Here's the bad part. I can't find the title of the Kawasaki, nor was the bike ever registered. The Secretary of State has no record of the bike either, so I can't report it stolen or try and find the new owner. I only have two pictures of this bike, and the pictures look kinda skewed.

Here's hoping for some good advice

-=bmacd=-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kz4402.jpg (102.9 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by bmacd; 03-30-2006 at 06:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

pic # 2

-=bmacd=-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kz440.jpg (100.4 KB, 190 views)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 05:53 AM

What an idiot doing what he did! Make him give ya $1500! or find you something similar or even a newer bike. Looked like the bike was in really good shape. Too bad.... but it's gone!

A few ccs short of a full litre.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 06:56 AM

I would rape the guy for everything he's got, or at least, everything you can get your hands on (if he is bigger than you).
Selling your stuff and expecting you to come up with a figure that he can negotiate... I swear some people and their audacity.. Do the rest of the world a favor and make sure he never forgets his mistake

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:13 AM

That is some BS, your only other real alternative would be to take him to small claims court, but with no title your not gonna get real far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

They told me to follow my dreams...Too bad they were all NiGhTmArEs!

AIM - poorboy721
Yahoo - e_donahue2001
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:20 AM

If he is bigger than you, just call me. I will remedy the problem.

1500 minumum.......
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:57 AM

well bill...id say find a comparable bike you would want, and tell him he has to give you whatever the bike costs in order to replace the ones he took (and u know he got money from the honda on ebay)...and then its up to you if you keep the cash or buy the bike!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:21 AM

I'm pretty good with explosives, especially air sensative ones... If you would like a small package you could ship to him anonimously just let me know But I agree with the other, find something you like and tell him match the price.

Sepias
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 02:45 PM

I would bring him to a log cabin in the middle of no where, strip him naked, tie him to a workout bench, then use chinese water torcher between his eyes, blindfold him, slice off his penis, kabob it over a hickory fire, then make him eat it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by slick1537
I would bring him to a log cabin in the middle of no where, strip him naked, tie him to a workout bench, then use chinese water torcher between his eyes, blindfold him, slice off his penis, kabob it over a hickory fire, then make him eat it.
Damn! Remind me not to cross you, Slick!

As others said, minimum $1500. I'd start at $2K.

For a few examples, a few years back I sold my '78 GL1000 for $1800 VERY quickly. Last year my dad took my '73 CB350 (runner, but no where near mint) down to Vintage days at mid-Ohio, and said he easily could have sold it for $1400.

Also, you could check with the guys in the vintage jap club www.vjmc.com.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode