Has anyone used "U-Paint-It" in mt clemons? Problems brewing. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone used "U-Paint-It" in mt clemons? Problems brewing.

I've been having a problem with these guys

Long and short:

the scoop:
I bought a bike from a guy that owns a body shop. After bringing up a few chips in the paint, he agreed to repaint them for me, provided I took the fairing off and dropped it off.

I call him up to drop it off 3 weeks ago, on a feb 21st. He says he is busy and can do it next week. I tell him that my classes were cancled for the afternoon and Id like to just drop it off now. Its easier for me and they have an extra few days. no problems, he expexts it to be done "sometime by the end of next week."

I call over a week later (night of the 8th day, so really 9 days for them to work on it) to get an update. they havn't touched it, they will have it early next week (a week late), definately for next weekend. I say, "hey no problem. I have a ton of tests this week anyway. I just want to know how its going"
He tells me to just call him sometime next week to check in, and then tells me again that it should be ready for the next weekend (another 10 days or close to).

Wednesday of the next week rolls around, I call. Leave a message.

Thuesday, leave a message. Tell him I know its done, and him not calling back isn't exactly hiding it. Tell him I've done with school soon and moving to conneticut. I just want an ETA so I can plan when I'm coming down around my 22 hours of class a week.

Friday, leave a message. Tell him that I am done with school after next week and going to conneticut.
Saturday, leave a message
Sunday, leave a message
Monday, call 10x. Never answers, just turns off phone.

His office phone is a cell phone btw. So yeah, now I have a fairing about 75-90 min away (that he is supposed to drop back off for me). I'm also busy replacing a transmission line that went out on my truck for some stupid reason that requires my motor to come out to be re-routed.

I've known tons of body shop owners, employees and had tons of work done. I know they are always late. This is why I dropped it off early and knew full well that it would about a week later than what he expected. Keep in mind, a week late is about three times as long as what was expected.

Its been way too long to fix a quarter sized chop and waaaaay too long not to call me back.

I'm assuming the fairing is lost, stolen or damaged at this point and he just decided there was no way he was buying me a new one since he wasn't making cash off this deal to begin with.

This was supposed to take few days.

Anyway, today I call saying I'm calling the cops if I dont get a call back.

His "secretary" calls back, on his cell phone, saying she's had his phone. Also amazing, his secretary is there after 5pm. It gets better! There was no secretary or any sign of a female in that building when i dropped it off. She also made a point to tell me that she'd have the phone tomorrow so I shouldnt call then either.

"I understand the weather is getting nice but he will call you back as soon as he is done with it.."
"I'm leaving the state and you've had it since feb 21st"
"well i'll tell him its urgent, but i have his phone so it doesn't do any good to keep calling him"

At this point, I just want the damn thing back.

The damn problem is that he is pretty much the only guy to paint it.

Its a tri-coat meaning he essentially paints it three times to get the right color. T trying to match it without any idea where to start would suck.

Let me show how MASSIVE the repair was that he was doing

both sides

you can see how far down it goess here too

what is their deal? has anyone used these guys before? Are they always this damn shady? Why dont I get calls back at least telling me "yeah, were late. sorry"

Dealing with this guy just sucks.
The first time I was in the area to look at the bike, he lost his phone. Second time, he's half an hour late.
I go to pick up the bike, I wait outside his door for an hour and a half (with a friend there to help me load it). This time he throws (litterally) $20 at us to pay for the dinner we missed at school because he wasted 3 hours of our time.

Every time, I'm polite and tell him I understand becaue I spent a lot of time around mechanics and body shops. I know its hard being the owner and trying to leave early, blah blah blah.

I've pretty much lost it at this point. He cant return a phone call to tell me he fucked up.

Edit: not sure if this is the right section, but the dude said he used to ride in royal oak a ton and I always see you guys around there IIRC. I also see a lot of custom paint on bikes there.

Last edited by treyZ28; 03-14-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Wow...sorry about your luck dude. No worries posting it up here, this forum is really for anybody posting about anything. At least we try to keep it riding related.

I personally have never dealt with this paint shop before. Factually, I've never heard of them but that doeasn't say much. I know many people read this board, they might have some insight seeing that they are into the customization world more than I.

What I would do at this point is accept your losses and get your fairing back. This dude has had more than ample time to get the job done. I'd be more worried about your fairing than I would about the paint. Get it back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 05:51 AM

by the looks of the name of his shop, my guess is that he is waiting for U-to-paint-it??

sounds like your getting a shitty deal. I would pack a lunch w/ a light snack, go to his shop, and sit there in the lobby until he shows up. Do not leave or go outside until he shows up.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by almightys
by the looks of the name of his shop, my guess is that he is waiting for U-to-paint-it??

If you are that worried than I would pack a lunch w/ a light snack, go to his shop, and sit there in the lobby until he shows up. Do not leave or go outside until he shows up.

the other thing to think bout is tht you dropped it of on the 21st when he told you it would not get started until the next week. So the earliest he started on it would be the 28th. you also mention its a special 3 coat process ( can all three coats be laid in one day? is there addtional prep between coats? wetsanding or such?) So the guy in reality could only have been working on it for 1 week in theory. So if you are that upset put the phone down and get down there to see whats up!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 08:29 AM

What is the guy's name you were dealing with I know a few people up there and can all and talk to them
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jcturbo
What is the guy's name you were dealing with I know a few people up there and can all and talk to them
Its the owner.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by almightys
the other thing to think bout is tht you dropped it of on the 21st when he told you it would not get started until the next week. So the earliest he started on it would be the 28th. you also mention its a special 3 coat process ( can all three coats be laid in one day? is there addtional prep between coats? wetsanding or such?) So the guy in reality could only have been working on it for 1 week in theory. So if you are that upset put the phone down and get down there to see whats up!
The 27th, but yeah I see your point. Even starting the counter at the 27th, he has had 2 weeks and 2 days now. I'm fairly sure they havn't even started based on the conversation I had yesterday.

They only bothered to call back after I left a voicemail saying I was calling the cops to get my stuff back if they didn't call me back.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 08:52 AM

PM me you phone number. I talk to a guy up there that is going to do the work and the person who painted it the first time he's not the owner. i'll let you know what;s going on with it. and i'll get
it taken care of for you
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

PM sent. Thanks.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:04 PM
jackdrinker

Hey,
Are you Trey from Kettering that sold a red Z28?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode