Detroit driving tips for superbowl guests - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Detroit driving tips for superbowl guests

Detroit Driving Tips for Super Bowl Guests

1. First, you must learn to pronounce the city name. It's Di-troit. NOT DEE-troit. If you pronounce it DEE-Troit then we will assume you are from Toledo and here for the country Music hoe-down.

2. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Detroit has its own version of traffic rules... Hold on and pray.

3. The morning rush hour is from 6:00am to 10:00am. The evening rush hour is from 3:00pm to 7:00pm. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning. Weekends are open game.

4. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear-ended, cussed out and possibly shot. If you're first off the starting line when the light turns green, count to five before going. This will avoid getting in the way of cross-traffic who just ran their yellow light to keep from getting shot.

5. Schoenherr can only be properly pronounced by a native of the Detroit metro area. That goes for Gratiot too. Schoenherr is pronounced CHAY NER.Gratiot is pronounced, GRASH IT.

6. Construction and renovation on I-94, I-96, I-75, I-275, I-375, The Lodge and Southfield freeways are a way of life. Just deal with it. There are two seasons in Detroit. Winter and construction.

7. If someone actually has their turn signal on, it is probably a factory defect or they are from out of town.

8. All old men with white hair wearing a hat have total right-of-way.

9. The minimum acceptable speed on I-696 is 85 regardless of the posted speeds. Anything less is considered downright sissy. Don't even think of allowing more than one car length between cars.

10. That attractive wrought iron on the windows and doors in Detroit is not ornamental. DO NOT get out of your car.

11. Never stare at the driver of the car with the bumper sticker that says "Keep honking, I'm reloading."

12. If you are in the left lane, and only going 70 in a 60 mph zone, people are not waving because they are so friendly in Detroit. I would suggest you duck.

13. I-275/I-696 is our daily version of NASCAR.

14. It's not M-10, it's "the Lodge".

15. That's not a lake, it's a pothole.

16. If someone tells you it's on Outer Drive, you better have a map.

17. The left turn is simple. If you want to turn left,go a 1/4 of a mile past your turn, get to the left, then make a left, then make a right. Now you have gone left.

Sidenotes:
6 mile turns into McNichols
8 mile turns into Baseline
15 mile turns into Maple.
16 mile turns into Big Beaver (exit 69 off I-75...) and becomes Metro Parkway somewhere along the way.
17 mile turns into Wattles
18 mile turns into Long Lake
19 mile turns into Square Lake
20 mile turns into Hall Road and then something else before it becomes M-59
Main street starts as "Main Street" and turns into Livernois for no apparent reason.
If someone tells you to take "75 South to Detroit" make sure you merge onto
375 or you'll end up in Toledo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 06:55 PM

Wow - I wish someone had given me this when I moved down here! People don't drive like that in the North unless they're fudgies. I was scared to death to drive in this area. Now, I'm dismayed to realize that I've become "one of them". Ahhh!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 06:58 PM

Hmm.
I thought you were one of a kind.

I do not think that anyone would think of you as being part of a "them."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 07:04 PM

The minimum acceptable speed on I-696 is 85 regardless of the posted speeds.

16 mile turns into Big Beaver (exit 69 off I-75...) and becomes Metro Parkway somewhere along the way.

Don't forget about Quarten down in the Bloomfield Hills area!

One time I was asking Onstar for Directions and she says, "It's on Gratiot" but she pronounced it Grate E Ot....lol Most people don't even try Schoenherr!!

This is a great post...and so very true!

Jen
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 08:01 AM

I love it, being one of the outsiders coming in and living in the area for over a year, I really appreciate these and it made me laugh pretty hard too. Good find Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode