insurance.....?!?!? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

insurance.....?!?!?

ok, so im 19, and as most of you saw i just picked up that 03 600RR. anyways, i used to be under my parents insurance which was sweet at $386 a year for FULL coverage. but that option is no longer available.

i have 3 speeding tickets...one was this weekend in ohio (bastard cops clocked me from the plane) and isnt on my record yet but will be so i figure id just calculate that now, and my other 2 were a while ago and might be off my record not but i am not sure. i have 4 pts, and i prob will have more then with this new ticket in the next month or so.

so basically, who here has a similar situation (or not) and what insurance company do you use? i really wanna do full coverage for like 6 or 7 months, the just comp when i store it. progressive was pretty cheap for plpd, like $345 bucks, but full coverage was ridiculous of course. plus i dont know if you can turn progressive on and off anyways, because i know with my mustang insurance i can turn the insurance on or off anytime, and i can change my options any time (like storing it), but that company doesnt offer motorcycle insurance.

so anybody have any suggestions? cause i hate to do plpd, but im not gonna pay $4g a year on a $3700 motorcycle...id rather take my chances with plpd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 09:27 AM

Quote:
so anybody have any suggestions?

Stop getting tickets?

Jen
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

actually its only 60 bucks cheaper on plpd if i had no incidents, and only a few hundred bucks cheaper for full coverage, and whats a few hundred when we're talkin 4g. i think that its more age, gender, and vehicle related. maybe if i had an accident it might matter more, but all i have is speeding which probably isnt as big of a deal as accidents or other more major violations or incidents.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 10:23 AM

19 yo and 3 speeding tickets and a sportbike = the raw dog

My only advice is to call every insurance company and see what rates you get. you might get lucky.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 10:26 AM

There's so many things that affect insurance costs (other than tickets) Two things that affect insurance is age and what CC your bike is. The higher the CC, the more you pay. The younger you are, the more you pay. I have full coverage on my 636 but I only pay around $564.00 per YEAR with State Farm. Then again, I am 31 and have had this policy for 12 years. It ties in with my house and cars. Hubby pays $732 a year for his busa and he'll be 28 next month. Again, he's on the same policy.

I'd check around....I'm sure you can get a good deal somewhere.

Jen
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 10:58 AM

Yeah, there's no one insurance solution for everyone because everyone is different.

From what I've read here, State Farm is one of the best rate-wise. I tried as many of the others as I dared, and couldn't stop laughing every time! Progressive (who supposedly gives a discount to MEEMIC members) wanted $1500/year, and that was CHEAP!! I about died when they told me that.... no way in hades I was gonna pay 1/4 of what I paid for the bike every year!!

Oh, and FYI, that was for a 29-year-old, new rider, on a used '01 CBR600F4i, clean driving record (knocking on wood!!). When State Farm came in at under $400/year (and the ability to go down to just fire and theft in the wintertime) I was ecstatic!! Needless to say, I now use State Farm for the bike.

Like everyone else said, call all around. Make sure you tell them you have 4 pts up-front (if, in fact, you do).

-Joe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gijoecam

(and the ability to go down to just fire and theft in the wintertime) I was ecstatic!! Needless to say, I now use State Farm for the bike.

You may want to re-check that....I have State Farm as well with two cars and two bikes currently insured. I called my agent to drop the collision on both bikes and assumed it was as simple as dropping collision on a car, I was wrong. I was told that I couldn't drop the collision because I hadn't paid enough into the policy, BS. I have one policy that's been full coverage since April 04 and the other since March 05. It would have cost me more to drop the collision on both bikes than what I am actually paying per month. So I am paying full coverage for two bikes that are stored until March/April. The payment is reasonable but it would have been nice to save a few dollars during the offseason.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the heads-up.... I was just going by what they told me when I signed up with them. I didn't do it last winter because I was a new rider and eager to get out at any opportunity, so I didn't want the hassle of calling my agent first for permission to ride.

I'm still on the fence for this year.... Even if that's the case, I'm still WAY ahead of the game than if I had gone with another agency.

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode