Weird noise on my bike. and a PSA - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Weird noise on my bike. and a PSA

First, I know you all already know, but it still feels somewhat relieving to say it:

Hey... when you're driving your car, look both ways before you turn out into the road, and dont just stop in the lane and stare a biker in the eye as you see him squirm with both wheels locked up trying to stop for you.

Righton, so I took a decent ride today after that, and I noticed a weird noise and wanted to ask you guys about it.

Its kinda like a clanging noise, when the tach is between about 4.5 and 7, then it goes away. Both accelerating and decelerating, but it is something with the engine or trans, or something moving, with the engine, because ti does it when i'm stiopped and try to climb slowly through the revs, and if i pull in clutch going fst and just coast to a stop, i dont hear teh clang at all. It kinda sounds like a spoon hitting the side of a pot, very quickly, but goes away above about 7grand.

Any ideas, or anythign I shoudl to to give you guys a better idea?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 05:19 PM

Make sure that you don't have to much play in your chain, and if that's fine, you should look at your cam chain.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 05:35 PM

Sounds like cam chain noise from your description.

A few ccs short of a full litre.

Last edited by mac020; 10-30-2005 at 06:34 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

alright. My chain is borderline too loose, I was just not sure if that could amke that sort of noise. Just one of the things I need to add to the list.

Why does it crunch just through that range, but not all oveR?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 06:09 AM

It's your cam chain tensioner. All the F4i's have that problem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 12:08 PM

Sounds like a CCT(cam chain tensioner), Could be the drive chain if it only happens when moving. If its the drive chain you will hear it while coasting with the clutch pulled in.

Don't over tighten the chain, always remember that chains are tightest when the swingarm is level(mid stroke).
Watch for kinks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 10:41 AM

Ditto on the CCT. I replaced mine a few months back with a manual tensioner from APE.... took no less than three trips to Sears for the right tools over the course of three days. (a couple hours at a time)

Not too bad of a job though.... The hardest part is setting it up to run with everything taken apart (to adjust the manual one, it must be running).

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode