Window Tint Proposal...NOT GOOD! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Window Tint Proposal...NOT GOOD!

Wanted to pass this on to everybody in Michigan. This is absolutely rediculous. Those that have your front doors tinted may want to really pay attention.

Basically, I guess that all people with their tinted front doors are cop killers!

Oakland Press

Read it below! $500 and 90 days in jail!

Quote:
Tint bill includes jail time

Web-posted Oct 16, 2005

Offense is now civil infraction with fines

By KANIQUA S. DANIEL
Of The Oakland Press

Customized cars with dark tinted windows may become a thing of the past if state Sen. Deborah Cherry has her way.

A bill introduced by Cherry, D-Burton, would stiffen penalties for illegal window tints with a $500 fine and up to 90 days in jail.

Currently, the offense is a civil infraction with fines determined by the jurisdiction in which the violation occurs. In most cases, an offender can have the tint removed within 30 days to avoid fines, which are usually about $90 with no points added to the license.

Window tinting was in the news this past week when Detroit Piston Darko Milicic was stopped by Sterling Heights police because of dark windows on his 2004 Audi. He said he had been driving it for more than a year and didn't know it was illegal.

Lt. Gerry Scherlinck of the Troy Police Department said window tint can be up to only 35 percent in terms of darkness on a vehicle's windshield and passenger- and driver-side windows, and the tint can not exceed 4 inches.

"You can do whatever you please to the back windows," he said. "When you see some of these cars that are totally darked out, that's illegal. It poses a threat to police officers (and emergency workers) trying to see inside the car."

Denise Flannery, legislative aide for Cherry, whose district includes a portion of Oakland County, said the bill was introduced in response to a recent event in which a police officer was concerned for his safety.

"We feel the current fines are not enough to deter the illegal use of window tinting," she said.

The bill has been referred to the Senate Committee on Transportation.

The only exemption to the current legislation is a signed doctor's note specifying the tint is needed for vision problems.

Leticia Weatherby, a 22-year-old nurse's aide from Waterford Township, said she has been pulled over at least twice for her tinted windows, which she said allows officers to see inside her vehicle.

Weatherby owns a twodoor 1996 Monte Carlo and had all of the windows, except the windshield, tinted in February.

"I was under the impression that the tint shop only did the legal amount," she said. "I agree people shouldn't be allowed to tint windows so darkly that it causes a problem with the law. But I don't understand why they allow these shops to apply illegal tint but ticket you for it."

Weatherby said it costs about $179 to have the windows tinted and about $300 to have the tint removed.

"I'm not taking it off," she said. "I had the windows tinted to keep the sun out of my face and out of my child's face. If it's illegal for people to have the tint, it should be illegal for the shops to put it on."

There are no laws prohibiting the installation of illegal tint. Roger Griffi ths, outside sales coordinator with Ameristar Auto Outfi tters in Waterford, which specializes in window tinting, said his company does warn customers of the consequences of illegal window tinting but will still perform the work.

Flannery said including window-tinting businesses in the bill was "not the direction we're taking right now."

Sgt. Nathaniel McQueen with the Michigan State Police said one of the issues is tinted windows are also offered by manufacturers.

"In some areas, such as Arizona and Texas, it's legal because of the heat index," he said. "There needs to be a regulation stating it is illegal for a secondary vendor to put it on. Otherwise, you run into problems with manufacturers.

"This is really something the state needs to look into. I would think anyone proposing legislation to increase the penalty for illegal tinting should include the businesses that are putting this tint on the windows." John Sturk and Kevin Curtin of the Capital News Service contributed to this story.
send your comments to

Deborah Cherry

Democrat of District 26
Office Phone: (517) 373-1636
Office Location: 910 Farnum Building
E-mail Address: [email protected]

http://www.senate.michigan.gov/dem/deborah...herry/index.htm

-Chris
aka Gas Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:37 AM

i had a mirror tint on my explorer at one point that begged for attention. The female Plymouth officer took the initiative to pull out her knife and start peeling it away for me.

Since then, i've stuck with factory tint on my explorer. Simply not worth the trouble.

-=bmacd=-
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 AM

I think over tinted windows are dangerous. I like to be able to see the drivers and make eye contact if I have to.

A few ccs short of a full litre.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bmacd
i had a mirror tint on my explorer at one point that begged for attention. The female Plymouth officer took the initiative to pull out her knife and start peeling it away for me.

Since then, i've stuck with factory tint on my explorer. Simply not worth the trouble.

-=bmacd=-
holy shit
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Aus

Re: Window Tint Proposal...NOT GOOD!

Quote:

Basically, I guess that all people with their tinted front doors are cop killers!

That's not the point Chris.

You might know who you are (and not pose a threat to anyone), but the point is that the cop has no idea who you are. He's most likely never met you before, and has to be always cautious and constantly vigilant - even if the interaction appears on the surface to be completely 'tame'.

If the cop can't see into the car, he likely has to assume the worst. He may even turn it into a felony stop just to make sure he/she stays as safe as possible. The 'unknown' is what poses the danger to the cop. And a lot of cops have lost their lives doing their job because they were ambushed by somebody/something in the vehicle they just couldn't see - and therefore couldn't prepare to respond to. If you go to www.odmp.org, you'll find a whole lot of cop deaths caused by ambush.......I'm fairly confident that in at least some of those situations, tinted windows were involved. If that's the case, for their own safety, a cop needs to treat every stop as a high risk stop. That's why you often see a lot of cops approach a normal stop with their hand on the gun in the holster, or just near it.

I'm not against tinted windows, they just need to be kept at a reasonable tint.

I fully support the proposed law. It's about time someone did this.

Last edited by Aus; 10-27-2005 at 12:01 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:18 PM

I'm sure Elsie there saw some cute lil thing with her windows tinted, and thought a bill like this would make her feel better about herself. Let's try taking on issues with a "real" public threat like the idiots who see their cars as phone booths

I'm sure morons talking on their phones account for more injuries each week than tinted windows account for in a year. Let's put our political agendas away, and use some common sense.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
Quote:
Originally posted by LuckyStrike
[BLet's put our political agendas away, and use some common sense. [/B]
I agree unfortunately too many folks out there only respond to the cash bein taken away from them as a consequence rather than just usin good judgment of their own

you wann hear a stupid law or rather enforcement of a stupid law... gettin a ticket for doin 70mph on the freeway pullin a small trailer with my bike in it... was pulled over and told the speed limit for haulin 700 lbs or more is 55mph OK now nobody told me this when I bought the trailer or registered it or took my drivers test to get my license.. so just how the heck was I suppose to know about this law? not to mention I still don't think my trailer plus the bike would be over 700 lbs Plus in same said evening I had passed 4 other cops along the freeway with their radars out and none of those pulled me over? But hey.. let's let the numbnutz that flew past me doin 80 or 85 go ... yeah ok..

E.
btw I'm guilty of using my suburban as a phone booth.. but I have a hands free set up.. so to me in my mind... I'm no different than talkin to a passenger sittin next to me

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 01:04 PM

Cept for the actual screams from your passengers. J/K

I've read that a passenger will react to the situation where the caller doesn't.

Last edited by mac020; 10-27-2005 at 01:08 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 01:15 PM

Doesn't sound like they're changing the law about the amount of tint as much as they want to be able to put some teeth behind it.

Ignorance and defiance are no excuse in the eyes of the law.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mac020

Ignorance and defiance are no excuse in the eyes of the law.
The largest BS statement ever created by lawmakers this side of Jesus Christ!

And Aus... I understand. However, I have had my windows tinted WAY dark... double limo on the rears, limo on the front doors and halfway down the windshield. And those spot lights shine thru it like it's nothing!

They are wasting our tax dollars on this crap!

I have many family members that are cops but I still don't see this as a solution to any problem.

-Chris
aka Gas Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode