Is this really the bikes fault? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: Should the motorcyclist be charged with manslaughter?
Yes 4 13.79%
No 25 86.21%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Is this really the bikes fault?

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...GNEWS/51019001

Cyclist convicted in FHP trooper's death

ASSOCIATED PRESS ADVERTISEMENT

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - A motorcyclist, whose race with a sports car on Interstate 4 led to a Florida Highway Patrol trooper's fatal crash, was convicted of aggravated manslaughter by a jury on Tuesday.

Donald Williams was also convicted of vehicular homicide and fleeing and eluding a law-enforcement officer in causing the death of 49-year-old Trooper Darryl Haywood on Oct. 2, 2004. The jury deliberated for three hours, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

Williams will be sentenced at a later date. He could face up to 60 years in prison.

According to reports, Williams, on his blue 1999 Suzuki, was racing a Porsche when Haywood started to pursue them. The patrol car had a blow out, causing Haywood to lose control of his vehicle and crash into a tree.

Williams was arrested later that day at an Interstate 95 rest stop in St. Johns County.

This article is really interesting!
http://www.pursuitwatch.org/stories/FHP_haywood.htm

Please do not misunderstand, I feel for the family of this officer. What I am not understanding is how you charge the motorcyclist with manslaughter in any form. He didn't throw any James Bond tire spikes down onto the road to cause the tire of the troopers camaro to blow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

They told me to follow my dreams...Too bad they were all NiGhTmArEs!

AIM - poorboy721
Yahoo - e_donahue2001

Last edited by Headlight; 10-21-2005 at 04:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 05:06 AM

so many facts are not stated here. i voted no, but really can't say for sure without more info. the officer clipped another car while trying to catch the biker while driving erraticly with no lights on- that's not in the officer's favor. but no one knows if the biker knew the cop was chasing him? and what happened about the guy in the porsche?
either way it's too bad the officer died, and it's too bad about the negative publicity that we, as bikers, always seem to recieve.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 05:14 AM

What did the guy in the car get???

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Ah yes both of you have promoted to the rank of Captain Obvious. There is not one mention of the porsche after the intial phone call by an on looker. That second article is really interesting in that the FHP contradicts itself and that state statute for pursuits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

AIM - poorboy721
Yahoo - e_donahue2001
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Headlight
Ah yes both of you have promoted to the rank of Captain Obvious.
I was giving my reasons for voting the way i did, and why my vote may change upon the releasing of more facts. I didn't realize we were just supposed to vote and not talk about it
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 06:31 AM

He died in the line of duty.. the rest is bullshit

The same thing could have happend if he pulled out of his hiding spot to give you a speeding ticket in a car when you went past him at 13 over. If he pulled out in traffic wrong and got hit by a truck, by this ruling you should get manslaughter also..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Over_Dose

The same thing could have happend if he pulled out of his hiding spot to give you a speeding ticket in a car when you went past him at 13 over. If he pulled out in traffic wrong and got hit by a truck, by this ruling you should get manslaughter also..
That's what I got out of it. If an officer pulls me over and is walking to my car, trips falls and busts his head that's my fault.

AIM - poorboy721
Yahoo - e_donahue2001
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Over_Dose

yeah it is bullshit and remember the drunk guy who hit the cop on I75 who was using the turn around without his lights on?
I think he got off not sure but his sentence was not harsh at all.

I think anytime a officer dies in line of duty is a bad/sad thing, but seems they also go on witch hunt to punish somebody for it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 10:44 AM

this whole thing makes me outraged.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 11:00 AM

Thats pretty much BS. The trooper chose to follow, and took a risk. He could've called it in. The biker is guilty of speeding, wreckless driving, evading persuit. But no manslaughter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode