What the... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

What the...

I guess when a city needs to generate revenue they need generate revenue.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/051021/21/wgca.html

Friday October 21, 11:32 AM

Dead man gets parking ticket

An elderly man has been found dead in the car park of a Melbourne shopping centre with a parking ticket attached to the windscreen of his car.

The man was found dead at the wheel of his car at Croydon in Melbourne's east.

The man is believed to have been dead for several days but a parking ticket was placed on his car two days before his body was discovered.

The Mayor of Maroondah City Council, Paul Denham, has apologised for the incident.

"It's just tragic," he said. "It must be just so sad for the family and we extend our sincere sympathies to them.

"The circumstances surrounding the location of this poor fellow must make it all the harder for the family.

"It is simply a case of the parking officer not noticing," he added.

The man's name has not been released and a report is being prepared for the coroner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

They told me to follow my dreams...Too bad they were all NiGhTmArEs!

AIM - poorboy721
Yahoo - e_donahue2001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 12:40 PM

Damn Aussies...lol

Wow, how could you not notice someone inside the car. I mean, even if he appeared sleeping, the officer should have tried to wake him up, right?

Jen
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kawigirl_636
...even if he appeared sleeping, the officer should have tried to wake him up, right?
What, and potentially lose the revenue from the ticket??!

Seriously, this is terrible.

More on the story...

Quote:
Man dead in car for nine days

A top-level investigation will examine how the body of an elderly Melbourne man could lie unnoticed in a car for nine days. Hundreds of people walked past and a parking officer stuck a ticket on his windscreen.

A shocked Premier Steve Bracks yesterday ordered the inquiry into the 71-year-old's death. "The coroner will examine this, the coroner will investigate what happened, and the coroner will make recommendations," he said. "I would say to the family and friends of the person who died in the car, my condolences go to out them, but they can be assured that the coroner will have a full investigation into this."

The body was found slumped at the wheel of his Volkswagen Passat at a shopping centre in Melbourne's eastern suburb of Croydon with a parking ticket fixed to the windscreen.

Maroondah Council yesterday cancelled the ticket and apologised for any distress but accepted the parking officer's explanation he did not see the body through the car's tinted windows. In a heartbreakingly undignified end for its owner, the car had even been vandalised.

A motorist who parked next to the dead man's car noticed the weathered parking ticket. Although the vehicle had tinted windows, the man clearly saw the body and went to knock on the window. Approaching the car, he detected an odour and realised the driver's decaying body had been in the car for some time.

The dead man who has not yet been publicly identified was reported missing on Wednesday, October 12, by his female carer, Beverley. She had given police a full description of the Preston man, his late-model car and its registration number. For Beverley, it was a sad indictment on society that her friend wasn't found earlier. Beverley said she would demand answers from Maroondah Council about the $50 fine. "It's not easy," she said. "To have him found this way, I couldn't believe it."

Maroondah mayor Paul Denham said no one was to blame for the tragedy. Cr Denham said the parking inspector was a veteran of 17 years. "What he said is that he just didn't see anyone," the mayor said. I think it's hard on the family. But I don't know why we look for someone to blame."

Shop attendant Craig Whitten said he walked past the car daily but did not notice the man inside. "A lot of people go past there and you don't expect something like this to happen in a public car park," he said.

Mr Bracks said there could be changes to the way councils issued tickets. "The whole community would be concerned at this development," he said.

Opposition police spokesman Kim Wells blamed cuts in police patrols for officers failing to find the car. "But despite the shortages, they would have driven past the car park and at least at night noticed that it was the only car there. It should have been picked up," he said. "In any case, it's a matter of common sense."

Police said there were no suspicious circumstances.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 12:17 PM

More on this story...

Quote:
Man found dead in car had cancer

A 71-year-old man whose decaying body was found in a parked car more than a week after he died had been fighting cancer. The man, known as Kon, was believed to have been trying to drive to his best friend's house to find out if his cancer was terminal.

The discovery of his body last Thursday provoked community outrage after the car was issued a parking ticket. He had been missing for nine days.

Kon's friend, Beverley, said the man, who she called Old Crocodile, had spoken to her on the morning he vanished on October 12. Beverley said Kon had helped her fight life-threatening cancer several years before and was positive about his fight. "He found out a few months ago," she said. "Kon was the sort of person that if something had to be fixed, you would never call a tradesman. But he found it difficult that he couldn't fix this."

Beverley said she had no idea why he had driven to the Croydon Market carpark from his Preston home. But she said he was driving in an area near her home.

"We'll never know," she said. "I can't think why he would be there. Maybe he felt he needed to have a rest. He was in the general area where I live. I know nobody hurt him because the car was locked from the inside."

The cause of death has yet not been publicised.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode