Loading Ramps - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Loading Ramps

I'm in need of bike transporting...

I have this lovely new truck, and no way of getting my bike in the bed. Nor do I have a trailer to use the lovely trailer hitch attached... anyone help a buddy out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Where are you taking it from and to? Also, are you asking to use ramps? C'mon now...more details!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:26 AM

you can also get 2 friends to help you load it depending on how high your truck is.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 10:26 AM

solution #1: go to the nearest bike shop, or heavy equipment shop, or whatever, and buy a ramp (just NOT one that has lips on both sides, aka dirtbike ramps, it will scratch the sheit outta your fairings) or just get a wooden plank and use that (you can even get a metal end "ramp kit" for it so it rests easy on your tailgate)

solution #2: buy a trailer. you can get decent bike trailers or utility trailers (smaller ones, like 8x5 or less) for well under $500 (i got my 8x5 for $325, and its only 7 years old) or rent one from uhaul for 30 bucks

solution #3: grab two friends like flip said, and lift it in, but make sure you have 2 friends to help you lift it out

solution #4: have a buddy drive your truck or your bike to wherever you are going, i nominate myself if you need someone to drive your bike, haha

solution #5: get some plywood and some bricks, build a jump like we all used to for our pedal bikes, and jump your bike up into the back of your truck...while moving, cause that would be TIGHT!

im pushing for option 5, and let me come video tape it
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 12:11 PM

Re: Loading Ramps

Quote:
Originally posted by xdbx
I'm in need of bike transporting...

I have this lovely new truck, and no way of getting my bike in the bed. Nor do I have a trailer to use the lovely trailer hitch attached... anyone help a buddy out?
Back the rear of the truck down into a ditch or even against a curb. Then walk your bike along a 2x12 board to get your bike in. Have some buddys around the 1st few time you do this just in case.

mb.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 12:31 PM

Ramps

We (Anderson's Motorsports) sell these very nice Aluminum folding ramps. They're about $100 or less and will last a life time. Come on in and take a look, ask for Steve in the sales dept. if you want.

You might want to call first to see what models they have in stock. they sell out very fast.
248-858-2300

Steven
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 12:35 PM

You can buy a good fold out ramp for 100 bucks. Fly and MSR make good ones.

Any bike shop should let you use their loading dock or bike ramp for free and then just find another bike shop wherever your going.

I had this problem a few years ago, I drove around the local grocery stores and looked around back, most have loading docks for semis and that works great, there is usually a ramp that goes to the dock then just back up your truck. It may be slightly higher so bring a board to make up for that. Thats alot easier than pushing 400 lbs up a steep incline like a ramp, and driving it up posses obvious problems. Saw a guy fall sideways off a ramp, ouch, on the bike, himself, and his pride.

-M-
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 12:40 PM

Jump It Dude!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 01:30 PM

Or....I could sell you a perfect set of aluminum folding ramps, used 3 times, then I bought a trailer......perfect for loading onto the back of a pick up then folding and sliding in along the sides of the bike!
Paid $160......for both, call 586-202-9907 with decent offer.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesZX10R
Or....I could sell you a perfect set of aluminum folding ramps, used 3 times, then I bought a trailer......perfect for loading onto the back of a pick up then folding and sliding in along the sides of the bike!
Paid $160......for both, call 586-202-9907 with decent offer.
do you have any pictures of the ramps? xdbx [at] comcast [dot] net

holy shit this got a lot of responses... thanks everyone, i'm going to drive around and see if i can find a grocery store around here with such a ramp this weekend. Still waiting on the thumbs up on the storage unit I could split, otherwise i'll keep it @ home in troy.

any idea how much tiedows would be? i found about $10 to be right, for 1 set, would I need 1 for each handlebar, then one for each of the back as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode