Up For Debate - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Question Up For Debate

This was from the show ER this past Thursday.

Synopsis:

There was a surrogate mother that was giving birth to a little boy for a couple that had experienced many m/c's. The IVF (invitro fert.) was through FET (fertilized egg transfer) so the surrogate was a true surrogate in the fact that it wasn't her egg that conceived this boy. The woman was all about having a natrual birth and after a car accident, had started to deliver the baby, feet first, a footling breech. Well, the drs tried to advise her against this as it could be very dangerous to the baby. The woman insisted she would not have a c/s dispite the parents-to-be's urges to have one. Unfortunately, the baby had severe brain damage from lack of oxygen during birth.

Question up for discussion, did the surrogate have the right to make the decsion not to have a c/s when she had committed to this couple to have their child? Does her right to her body/her choice become null and void once she becomes a surrogate? Was it her responsibility to have c-section to save this child's life?

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 11:56 AM

Re: Up For Debate

Quote:
Originally posted by kawigirl_636
...Question up for discussion, did the surrogate have the right to make the decsion not to have a c/s when she had committed to this couple to have their child? Does her right to her body/her choice become null and void once she becomes a surrogate? Was it her responsibility to have c-section to save this child's life?...
No, her rights aren't null and void.

Imagine if the circumstances meant that it was a choice between saving her own life or the baby's. Would she really sacrifice her life for someone else's child? I don't think so.

Since this wasn't the case, I think that, morally, she should've had the baby's best interests in mind and had the C-section.

A contract should've stipulated her rights in any and all possible scenarios.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Aus

I missed the episode of ER. Why didn't she have the C-section? Vanity? If I were the doctors, I would have told the lady that she was going to die herself if she didn't have the c-section!

That whole thing sounds like a f-ed up situation. I know it's hypothetical, but it's not so far from what could happen in real life.

I look at my daughter in absolute amazement every day. I could not begin to imagine her having to live with brain damage that would/could have been preventable. Oh the horror!

That's sad thinking about a poor little kid in that situation. Now I am depressed.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 02:55 PM

Crap like that is why i don't watch that show anymore.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 03:34 PM
Some days are like this.

ITA with cookee...

If it was a choice between herself and the baby, then she has the right to say she wants to live.

Where the surrogate is just being militant about a "natural" experience, then tough crunchies. Baby's health comes first, especially since it's not even her baby at all.

If you agree to become a surrogate, then I think you agree to do everything within your powers to provide the bio parents with a healthy, live child. This includes avoiding items that can be detrimental to the health/development of the fetus (tobacco, alcohol, illegal drugs, etc.). Necessary medical treatments are part of that, from the triple-screen at 16 weeks gestation to the STD tests performed right away and a c-section should something go drastically wrong with the baby during the pregnancy.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Just FTR, I didn't watch the show. This subject just happens to be a hot topic right now somewhere else.

I think it's the doctor's fault. Why is he/she giving her a choice?? If giving birth naturally poses ANY risk to the baby OR mother, they immediately do a c-section. Hell, all that has to happen is the heart rate to drop too far and they start to suit up. If your water has been broken for more then 24 hours they will c-section.

"Sorry but your baby is breech, we'll have to do a c/s." That's what should have been said. They never deliver breech babies natrually.

Jen
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Aus

Quote:
Originally posted by kawigirl_636
They never deliver breech babies natrually.

Jen
Well, not any more maybe. I was a breech birth in 1970.

Funny thing was, when the doctor 'inspected' my mom at the time of delivery, he asked her if maybe she'd miscalculated the due date, as he couldn't feel any hair. They found out pretty quickly after that that instead of supposedly feeling my head, he was actually feeling my ass!

Just FTR.... I want to make it CRYSTAL CLEAR that I would never enjoy another male feeling my ass!

Last edited by Aus; 10-16-2005 at 04:27 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aus
...They found out pretty quickly after that that he was feeling my ass!...
And he still couldn't feel any hair???

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 04:38 PM
Aus

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
And he still couldn't feel any hair???
That grew in later on!!!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aus
That grew in later on!!!
but uhm...your head still resembles your ass lol.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode