Wheelie Tips - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Wheelie Tips

My 05 r1 has no low end grunt how would i make it wheelie at a lower speed than 45-50 MPH.It will do it all by itself in first if i roll on from start and keep it pegged but the power band doesen't hit till 5,500 then im moving to fast to try to practice safely.I've had alot of wheelie time on dirt bikes and quads,but they have longer stroke motors with more torque.I have a sweet spot to practice next to my work in walledlake so I'm not at risk of hurting any body but my self.I'm looking for the way to wheelie not slipping/popping the clutch.Please no squid comments I'm not a newb but, I would like to learn without shock/headset damage.Thanks 4 Your Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 06:09 PM

I will try it if youlet me. i'm sure second gear will come up. if not, push down and pull up real hard, you will have arm pump real bad the first few days, but after that it's good. also, first gear, my 600 will come up at about 4000 rpm with power, and clutch from wherever i feel like. give power wheelies a try first and slowly progress upwards to higher speeds... oh yeah and had too, but i'm one too
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 06:47 PM

wow...do NOT push down hard and pull up, that is asking for a tank slapper when you come down. the push down isnt that bad, but pulling up is a no no. you could unintentionally twist the handlebars, and unless you got a damn good steering dampener, if you come down with them twisted at all it will most likely lead to a nasty tankslapper. hopefully you have a steering dampener though, but still, dont pull up.

with an r1, all you should have to do, if you really wanna power wheelie, is let off the throttle and then open it up, should pull right up in the first 3 gears. i rode a r1 a few times, and with the power in that bike im sure you should have no problem doin that. just lean back if you have to, and bouncing the front is okay, just dont pull up hard. just hit the throttle as the bike bounces back up.

however, i would recommend clutching. way more control imho. ill admit i power up the quad, but its a different beast. i always clutched my bike up, and i just thought it was way easier and more control. i could power it up but i didnt like it as much, and it felt less controlled.

just my

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 07:57 PM

umm is that r1 your first road bike?
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 09:44 PM

Someone call the Whoolie Man? I did get a great opportunity to ride an 05 R1 the past weekend(Motownflip, you da man). I did not wheelie however. I did notice the lack of low-end anything. I think my old dog has more low end than that bike. Unfortunately, unless you change the gearing, or clutch that baby up, you're stuck where you're at.

Jmood, he's a squid, so don't listen to him
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 10:11 PM
OPP

I always redline it in 1st gear and then pop the clutch. it works every time.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 03:34 AM

Erik had good advise in that paragraph somewhere - re-gear! front sprockets are less than 20 bucks and it'll feel like a whole new bike. just my though...
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrOrangePants
I always redline it in 1st gear and then pop the clutch. it works every time.
Stop telling people! Damn I knew I shouldn't have told you my wheelie secret.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 05:43 AM

shiftncrazy:

If I understand you correctly you want to bring it up at a lower speed right?
The R1 (and most other latest literbikes) have an exceptionally tall first gear. thus you are doing at least 40mph in first before you even begin to approach the powerband. My 10 does the exact same thing, if you want to power wheelie it, you gotta be doing 45+.... So the only solution is to clutch. Pull the clutch in a tad, give it a rev, and let it out as you give it more gas. It doesnt hurt your bike any more then a standrard wheelie.. Sure you are slowly eating away at your clutch, but that like not wanting to do a stoppie for fear of wearing out your brake pads...

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 05:47 AM

don't forget to cover your rear brake as well in case things get out of hand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode