Scary Spiders.. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
OPP

Scary Spiders..

Brian, one of my co-workers, returned today after being in the hospital since Sunday. Last Saturday morning he woke up for work and noticed a bite on his foot. Looking closer it looked like a spider bite with two little prick marks. It didn't itch or hurt so he got up, dressed and started out for work. By the afternoon his foot swelled larger than his shoes. The next morning he could barely wear a sock, and he developed a 105 degree fever. At that time he went to the hospital to get it checked out.

The doctors found the infection around the bite was eating muscle tissue and feared the toxin would get into the bone...ultimately causing death. Their prognosis was to amputate the foot if things didn't get better in a reasonable time. After a large amount of medication and care, he was able to keep his foot and return to work today.

His Doctor told him what isn't published in newspapers and TV "yet", is funny, but serious. A "Flesh" eating spider has recently caused many incidents like this one throughout Michigan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 08:11 AM

did he look like this

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/200...5/hlsa0805.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2061_2.jpg (14.9 KB, 74 views)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 08:40 AM

is that the brown reclous (sp) spider?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by almightys
is that the brown reclous (sp) spider?
Why yes it is.... They are actually not supposed to be in Michigan so it is probably some small variation of this spider. I think the farthest North they are found is Ohio. God bless the Internet huh?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
OPP

Dude, it's a scary thought though. Brian is like 240lbs, 6'2"...and he was put to his knees by the little bastard. What would have happened if it bit one of his kids?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Over_Dose
Why yes it is.... They are actually not supposed to be in Michigan so it is probably some small variation of this spider. I think the farthest North they are found is Ohio. God bless the Internet huh?
I would like to know how they determine what States the spider is in. I am sure it could be just about anywhere, you just do not see them often, cause they are tucked away in areas that are not visited to often.

If you even have a bite that resembles there bite, I would go to a hospital or doctor right away, if treated quickly, there is usually no problem and the issue is resolved without going through all the pain.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UglyAngelX
I would like to know how they determine what States the spider is in. I am sure it could be just about anywhere, you just do not see them often, cause they are tucked away in areas that are not visited to often.

If you even have a bite that resembles there bite, I would go to a hospital or doctor right away, if treated quickly, there is usually no problem and the issue is resolved without going through all the pain.
The problem is that they are misdiagnosed and the doctors do not view a spider bite as threatening.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
OPP

Last year one of our vendors shipped us some material from their place in Texas. At no extra charge they included "two" black widow spiders. One was captured and given to the Macomb County animal control, and the other was given to Utica hs for their bio lab.

I guess we shouldn't be suprised these spiders can appear anywhere in the world.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrOrangePants
Last year one of our vendors shipped us some material from their place in Texas. At no extra charge they included "two" black widow spiders. One was captured and given to the Macomb County animal control, and the other was given to Utica hs for their bio lab.

I guess we shouldn't be suprised these spiders can appear anywhere in the world.
good point

we shipped a damn turtle and a reptile in some carpet. They must have crawled in the tube before they could be loaded, now a have a dealer with a pet
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Over_Dose
good point

we shipped a damn turtle and a reptile in some carpet. They must have crawled in the tube before they could be loaded, now a have a dealer with a pet
LMAO..

We shipped a dead dog on one of our interior parts containers down to the H2 plant.. Must have crawled in it and died at some point. Looked like it had been rotting for about a week.. Twas nasty.. Does that count?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode