Brian, one of my co-workers, returned today after being in the hospital since Sunday. Last Saturday morning he woke up for work and noticed a bite on his foot. Looking closer it looked like a spider bite with two little prick marks. It didn't itch or hurt so he got up, dressed and started out for work. By the afternoon his foot swelled larger than his shoes. The next morning he could barely wear a sock, and he developed a 105 degree fever. At that time he went to the hospital to get it checked out.
The doctors found the infection around the bite was eating muscle tissue and feared the toxin would get into the bone...ultimately causing death. Their prognosis was to amputate the foot if things didn't get better in a reasonable time. After a large amount of medication and care, he was able to keep his foot and return to work today.
His Doctor told him what isn't published in newspapers and TV "yet", is funny, but serious. A "Flesh" eating spider has recently caused many incidents like this one throughout Michigan.