Grattan Friday 13th - Spooooky - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Grattan Friday 13th - Spooooky

Well managed to finally make a track day. Went with Tracoholics on Friday 13th Aug @ Grattan. AWESOME time!!!! Day was running backwards, but since I had never been there before it didn't matter. Also from looking at how the track is layed out, I think you can go faster running that way. Since I have never done a track day I ran in the novice group, and because I didn't have a gauge of how I would run against the others I decided to run in the 3rd group, 1st fast - 4th slow. By the third session I was in the 2nd group, and after that moved to the 1st group. Ran 5 sessions. Really started to get comfortable with track and pick up speed. From the 4th to last session, 5th, I cut 2 seconds from my lap time. Also managed to scrap the pegs on both sides of the bike. Left side in turn 1 and the right in turn 6. I was initially worried that the bandit would have issues since it is not a sport bike, but with the upgraded suspension, race tech front and ohlins rear, it did good. Also since I only had Michilen pilot road, ST tire, instead of a SP tire, 208 or pilot sport or etc., I was worried about traction. No issues there either. I am definitely the limiting factor still. All in all good day. Definitely will be doing more track days in the future. For those that might have been there I was on the Silver Bandit number 123, shirt number 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 06:45 AM

Couldnt agree more on an awsome day. I am so sore in my arms today. It's funny how 20 minutes at a time really tire you out. I was jersey #12 on the naked red Kaw. I couldnt believe what my bike could really do. I was deffinitly slowing myself with progress. I am so much more confident on my bike. I managed to scrape both knees and feet. Mainly in turn 9, 7, and 6. Thanks to all the good advice from everyone and the confidance boosters I recieved. I thought I was pushing too hard but I listened to everyone and realized I could have gone harder and faster. It gives me something to work on when I go back. Thanks to Chris for video taping me on some turns. I thought I was flying until I seen the video. Then I realized I was almost standing still. He he he. Track days really show you how much more potential you can have and how little you are doing now. Thanks to a great crew. Until next time.
Ken
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Yup I remember, not to many of us naked riders out there, so I made note of it. My arms and legs are sore too. Can't wait to run another one again.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 01:26 PM

Damn, wish I had money, I'd hit you guys up for a track day in a second. See you tomorrow though for Port Huron
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by kuntrykidd
Couldnt agree more on an awsome day. I am so sore in my arms today. It's funny how 20 minutes at a time really tire you out. I was jersey #12 on the naked red Kaw. I couldnt believe what my bike could really do. I was deffinitly slowing myself with progress. I am so much more confident on my bike. I managed to scrape both knees and feet. Mainly in turn 9, 7, and 6. Thanks to all the good advice from everyone and the confidance boosters I recieved. I thought I was pushing too hard but I listened to everyone and realized I could have gone harder and faster. It gives me something to work on when I go back. Thanks to Chris for video taping me on some turns. I thought I was flying until I seen the video. Then I realized I was almost standing still. He he he. Track days really show you how much more potential you can have and how little you are doing now. Thanks to a great crew. Until next time.
Ken
I got some video too. Man if I were anymore upright in some of those turns I doubt I would be leaned at all. Always feels and looks from the pilot view more leaned that you actually are. Can't wait to go again.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 06:47 PM

I hear you. Luckystrike took some video of me and I about died. I was verticle in the middle of the turn. That was my motivation to get real low. After that that is when I started scraping my knees and feet. I even scraped my foot pegs once. What a rush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode