Blue Ridge Parkway - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Talking Blue Ridge Parkway

Just got back from riding the Blue ridge parkway for several days. I know that there are a lot of more twisty roads down in this area but I have always wanted to ride from the top to the bottom and back up again. I went by myself so the more challenging roads can wait until I have some company with me. This road is awesome. 460 miles of very scenic, curvy, hilly, and sometimes twisty road. And no traffic lights, stop signs, or comercial vehicles of any kind. It seems very strange to only stop when you want to and not have to wait for a f--ing traffic light. I recommend going during the week if you can. I did not come up on another car until I was 160 miles into the parkway. Road conditions are excellent. The shoulder is grass, so there is very little if any gravel in the turns. Scenic view turn off after scenic veiw turn off. I hiked around alot of trails, but I know that I missed alot of things to see on this trip. As I said the plan was to go from top to bottom and back up. I got down to mile marker 400 and had to bail. The tropical storms and huricane were bringing in too much rain and I had to head back up early. Only had to ride the last 75 miles in the rain and riding through clouds, what a trip.

Check out the little drawing below the main sign.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue ridge parkway 002.jpg (164.9 KB, 82 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

View from bridge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue ridge parkway 005.jpg (63.5 KB, 68 views)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

After seeing this sign I was pumped up to ride this road. Later I came up on a full blown 53 foot semi on the road . Did you read the 35 ft limit on the sign. This guy was using up every bit of the road to get through. He was all the way over in the on coming lane to make the turns. So if you are in the area or even up here, you never know what might be around the next corner, it may be the front end of a mack truck in your lane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue ridge parkway 015.jpg (160.3 KB, 68 views)

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Look in my rear view mirror for the rest of the turn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue ridge parkway 017.jpg (139.5 KB, 67 views)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Beautiful scenery and more curves, They dont stop. The parkway starts in Virginia and ends in North Carolina. The farther into Carolina you get the better the road and the scenery gets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue ridge parkway 019.jpg (143.2 KB, 60 views)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

highest elevation east of the Mississippi. you can go another 120ft on a hiking path up to an observation tower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue ridge parkway 027.jpg (93.5 KB, 60 views)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 09:27 PM

Look awsome, but where the hell is this??
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Looking DOWN on clouds. I should be in an airplane not a motorcycle. Too wierd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue ridge parkway 025.jpg (320.1 KB, 64 views)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Sunset in West Virgina off of Route 250 on the way down. I thought this was a short cut. Instead of going throught the mountains like the e-way, it went over them. Winding up for two miles and then winding all the way down the other side. Then the same up the next mountain. Unfortunately the bike was in the back of the pickup at this point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue ridge parkway 001.jpg (63.7 KB, 66 views)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

The only incident while down was on the last 40 miles of the parkway. Another rider had gone down a ways back and was awaiting medical attention. While riding in the rain the EMS truck came flying around a curve and scared the shit out of me. I tried to move to the side and give him plenty of room. I went off on the wet grass, at slow speed and lost it. The bike went over with no aparent damage. When I go back to my hotel, a harley guy tells me that I am leaking gas. It appears that when the bike went over a float in one of the carbs has hung up and is dumping fuel into the engine and overflow. I tried to start it and it acted like it was flooded. Got it to fire up and went to dinner. When I came back and tried to fire it up, it has become hydro locked with fuel and would not turn over. Luckily I had trucked it down to this point. I have already pulled the plugs out and pumped out the raw fuel but still have to fix the stuck float. Its one of the center ones wouldnt you know.
Any way, had a great time and cant wait to go back. Riding down there is like skiing out west. Once you have done it you dont want to ride around or ski here again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode