damn it.... how do you make the bolts stay on - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
halik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 246
Send a message via AIM to halik
damn it.... how do you make the bolts stay on

So i rode around town today for maybe an hour total and managed to lose the bolt that holds the rear tray/tail light housing/ whatver thing to the subframe... crap.

I'm gonna have to hit up sears or something tomorrow and get a replacement. wire-ties will have to hold it till then...

Is there any good way to make those stupid things stay on? I dont wanna have crap rattling off every time i take it out...

Last edited by halik; 08-10-2004 at 05:55 PM.
halik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 05:57 PM
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,415
Re: damn it.... how do you make the bolts stay on

Quote:
Originally posted by halik
So i rode around town today for maybe an hour total and managed to lose the bolt that holds the rear tray/tail light housing/ whatver thing to the subframe... crap.

I'm gonna have to hit up sears or something tomorrow and get a replacement. wire-ties will have to hold it till then...

Is there any good way to make those stupid things stay on? I dont wanna have crap rattling off every time i take it out...
Loc-tite or something equivilent
CruiserErik is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 06:10 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,691
Re: Re: damn it.... how do you make the bolts stay on

Quote:
Originally posted by CruiserErik
Loc-tite
The blue stuff...med strength, is plenty enough I've found.
Bluto is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
halik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 246
Send a message via AIM to halik
are there any good palces that i can score the bolt/nut at? I'm sure those are metric...
halik is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 11:45 PM
Dad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pittsburgh Pa
Posts: 4,230
A word of caution. Don't use loctite on bolts holding plastic. Most plastics are ABS and loctite embrittles it. After several hours in contact, it will tend to shatter in the vicinity of the bolt where the excess wets it. If you're having trouble with those bolts, a little bit of silicone gasket sealant will usually do the trick. Gums up the threads sufficiently to prevent loss of the bolt but won't hurt the plastic and can still be removed.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
Dad is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:12 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,254
Quote:
Originally posted by halik
are there any good palces that i can score the bolt/nut at? I'm sure those are metric...
alot of hardware stores will....or a boaters supply store...or call metrics unlimited...they like carry metric stuff.
Judge is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:29 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,622
you may want to try an ace hardware. the one by my house in utica had a very impressive selection including stainless. I found many bolts, screws, etc that I was missing for my bike there.

if you cant find them there, the dealer is salivating waiting for you to come in with the checkbook.
almightys is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:41 AM
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,415
Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
A word of caution. Don't use loctite on bolts holding plastic. Most plastics are ABS and loctite embrittles it. After several hours in contact, it will tend to shatter in the vicinity of the bolt where the excess wets it. If you're having trouble with those bolts, a little bit of silicone gasket sealant will usually do the trick. Gums up the threads sufficiently to prevent loss of the bolt but won't hurt the plastic and can still be removed.
That's a good idea......I've never had to loc-tite plastic's, so never experienced that.
CruiserErik is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 06:36 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
embrittles

New word alert!!!!!


I like it.

Soon to follow, brittleification, brittleing, and brittleized




Good morning Dad
apexismaximus is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 07:32 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,691
Quote:
Originally posted by CruiserErik
I've never had to loc-tite plastic's, so never experienced that.
I was thinking the same thing...but if it does "embrittle" it (hehe) that's a good suggestion.
Bluto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome