Clutch \ Transmission Probs - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 54
Red face Clutch \ Transmission Probs

My buddy has a 02 R6. Lately if you are in second gear and getting on it fairly hard when you hit 8,000 rpm it feels like the engine slips. We pulled the clutch fibers out and they looked like they were almost new!! We replaced them anyways because we had the new ones right there. Anyone have any insight to this problem it is very annoying and were not sure were to go from here . It only happens in 2nd gear at around 8,000 rpm and it just does it for a moment and then keeps going. The engine has about 12,000 miles on it and runs awesome other then in 2nd. Could it be possible its slipping into a false neutral and then kicking back in?
bmschrad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 09:49 AM
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 610
Has he been doing any wheelies? If so then the tranny will prolly need rebuilt.. Possibly a bent shift fork?
docta_freeze is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 54
He hasn't done any wheelies and he never really was hard on it. I was thinking a bent shift fork also but it shifts like a dream. Is there a way to further see if its a shift fork?
bmschrad is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 11:52 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,982
Quote:
Originally posted by docta_freeze
Has he been doing any wheelies? If so then the tranny will prolly need rebuilt..
that's the most ignorant post i've ever read.

-=bmacd=-
bmacd is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 12:03 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,998
Quote:
Originally posted by bmacd
that's the most ignorant post i've ever read.

-=bmacd=-
You should read some of your own then, like "I'm going on a date, should I bring my Mom with us?
LuckyStrike is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Registered User
 
halik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 246
Send a message via AIM to halik
Re: Clutch \ Transmission Probs

Quote:
Originally posted by bmschrad
My buddy has a 02 R6. Lately if you are in second gear and getting on it fairly hard when you hit 8,000 rpm it feels like the engine slips. We pulled the clutch fibers out and they looked like they were almost new!! We replaced them anyways because we had the new ones right there. Anyone have any insight to this problem it is very annoying and were not sure were to go from here . It only happens in 2nd gear at around 8,000 rpm and it just does it for a moment and then keeps going. The engine has about 12,000 miles on it and runs awesome other then in 2nd. Could it be possible its slipping into a false neutral and then kicking back in?
do the rpms shoot up without any noticable acceleration?
halik is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 01:01 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,982
Quote:
Originally posted by LuckyStrike
You should read some of your own then, like "I'm going on a date, should I bring my Mom with us?
there's a difference between asking for advice/help than giving bad information.

-=bmacd=-
bmacd is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 05:14 PM
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,415
Re: Clutch \ Transmission Probs

Quote:
Originally posted by bmschrad
My buddy has a 02 R6. Lately if you are in second gear and getting on it fairly hard when you hit 8,000 rpm it feels like the engine slips. We pulled the clutch fibers out and they looked like they were almost new!! We replaced them anyways because we had the new ones right there. Anyone have any insight to this problem it is very annoying and were not sure were to go from here . It only happens in 2nd gear at around 8,000 rpm and it just does it for a moment and then keeps going. The engine has about 12,000 miles on it and runs awesome other then in 2nd. Could it be possible its slipping into a false neutral and then kicking back in?
Sounds like it's a bent shift fork......but not guarantee'd. Only spliting the engine case and getting to it would confirm it. Tell your buddy to take it easy on her or it's going to get 10 times worse. The damage doesn't have to come from wheelies, it could jsut come from power shifting or shifting hard into second even with the clutch. Yamaha's tend to have weaker shift forks than other brands, therefor the problem is usually easy to identify when these conditions exist. Never heard of a "False Nuetral."
CruiserErik is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 07:28 PM
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 610
Quote:
that's the most ignorant post i've ever read.


3 buddies 3 second gears goin out.. 01 f4i, 03 gsxr 1000, 95 f2..


First 2 clutch up or bounce up wheelies... Think about it.. What gear do you actually use the most... 2nd when stunting!
docta_freeze is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 07:58 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally posted by docta_freeze
3 buddies 3 second gears goin out.. 01 f4i, 03 gsxr 1000, 95 f2..


First 2 clutch up or bounce up wheelies... Think about it.. What gear do you actually use the most... 2nd when stunting!
Welcome to my no 2nd gear world LOL Must be cuz i'm such a sweet stunnna
every1ssweetie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome