after-effects of a bent subframe? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

after-effects of a bent subframe?

A friend is considering buying a ~97 CBR 6 with a bent subframe. How much will this affect the bike? Should the subframe bent back in place or does a new subframe have to be purchased?

-=bmacd=-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 12:31 AM
I like my bike like I like my girl - Nekkid

Send a message via AIM to 1badr6
I would deffinetly either bend it back, or for the 150 dollars buy a used one on ebay.

If his sub-frame is bent you will be able to tell if you stand the bike straight up and look down it, it should be cocked to one side or another, i don't suggest riding it to much like that since it screws with the integrity of the bike.

-Nick
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 03:04 AM

Re: after-effects of a bent subframe?

Quote:
Originally posted by bmacd
A friend is considering buying a ~97 CBR 6 with a bent subframe. How much will this affect the bike? Should the subframe bent back in place or does a new subframe have to be purchased?

-=bmacd=-
I would be more concerned with what else was wrong with the bike. Usually (bent subframes) come with other (broken) parts. If there is no other damage.... How did the subframe get bent? Do you really want a bike that someone crashed, fixed the plastics, and didn't fix the subframe? What else didn't they fix? I'd check it out really good first.

Oh yeah, and make sure the oil drain plug is there, and it's tight!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 05:14 AM

I crashed my bike and bent the subframe and there was little damage elsewhere on the bike. The paint on the tail was scuffed up in a 1-2" area and of course the traditional mirror and signal being trashed. I had it looked over and as far as the guys in the shop could tell, the actual fram and the rest of the bike were good to go. Definitely have a place check out the bike for any other damage and mechanics.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 05:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to halik
just to chime in,

the guy will send me a pics of the bike from the rear, so i should be able to tell wether the drop bent the main frame beams/ cracked the welds or anything like that. From the pics i've seen, it looks like the left upper tube was bent down maybe 3" from the end. linky

Also the f3s have steel frames, so i could prolly just use a torch and bend it back up.

Last edited by halik; 07-30-2004 at 07:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode