HELP! Bike won't start - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Post HELP! Bike won't start

I was supposed to ride around Lake Huron this weekend but I got stopped right on my driveway. The bike wouldn't start. It always started within a second of pushing the start button except now. It cranks and sometimes fire up for a rev or two. I started to diagnose and finally got an FI code from it, code C46. C46 is the EXCVA or the exhaust control valve.

I spent over half a day making sure the whole exhaust valve system works correctly, and it sure seems to work correctly. I manually applied 12V to it and it moved correctly, checked the feedback sensor and it was also working within specs. I also cleaned out and lubed and tightened (to torque specs) the physical valve in exhaust. No short circuits that I could detect either.

The manual tells me that it's ECM, aka the "computer". I don't really believe it, ECMs rarely fail. There are no other codes being set, all the basics are there (fuel, air, spark). So this is my next step and what I need help on. I need to borrow an ECM from someone. I don't want to buy one ($660 from RonAyers) unless I'm sure that's the issue. It's 2002 GSXR1000.

Thanks guys & gals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 11:10 AM

How are your plugs?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JesterRR
How are your plugs?
I changed them a couple of months ago, but I'm going to double check today. The engine ran fine last wednesday when I changed the oil and did a quick check-up. I was fully expecting it to run this weekend.

I'm going to try to run the engine without the exhaust tonight. If it runs, I'll know it's the exhaust valve doing something wrong. If it doesn't, I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a new ECM. My car experience tells me that ECMs rarely fail, that's why I don't want to buy one until I know that's the solution. Most dealers won't let you return them if it turns out that wasn't the root cause.

And to top it off, my freaking truck doesn't work either. Stupid cheap shit starter...... I'm not having a good week

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 12:48 PM

hey

same thing happend to my bike... i figured out that it was the battery... the termanals that connect the battery to the bike were corroded. u may want to look and clean them. i did and she fired right up
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 08:18 PM

I told you to buy a damn yamaha.. well.. maybe I didnt but now you know.

good advice though. start with the basics and rule them out. I always look too deep sometimes and tear too deep into stuff before I realize it was a simple solution.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 08:32 PM

have you checked gixxer.com yet ???

-=bmacd=-
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Update: I changed the plugs last night, they were not bad but I figured since I have them out might as well put new ones in. I did a load test on the battery and it was weak but I'm not convinced that's the root cause. I bought a new battery and charged it overnight. I'll try this afternoon and hope to get lucky.

I finally did get that C46 code fixed, it seems all the rain riding I've been doing got the best of one of the exhaust valve cables. I probably should've lubed them last winter anyway. I also re-routed them to help the servo loads.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 05:49 AM

Even if it wasn't the problem...a new batt is something good to have. I need to replace mine sometime soon...it's a little soft on starts lately and that's no good.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

The bike is up and running now. I load tested the new battery and it's stronger than the old one. The root cause was a weak battery & high current draw from exhaust servo due to cables binding (not lubed). The bike didn't start simply because there wasn't enough juice to fully power the spark plugs.

I'm glad I didn't listen to the troubleshooting guide and bought an ECM when I didn't need one.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 05:57 AM

sweet...I just had a battery go out on my R1 as well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode