liter bike numbers on the 04's - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

liter bike numbers on the 04's

I cant read shit on this page except the numbers.. and they pretty much tell the story.. Yamaha rules
Attached Images
File Type: jpg explorar0007.jpg (78.4 KB, 126 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image12.jpg (13.3 KB, 126 views)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 07:45 PM

Re: liter bike numbers on the 04's

Quote:
Originally posted by Over_Dose
I cant read shit on this page except the numbers.. and they pretty much tell the story.. Yamaha rules

Are you sure?
(different article and translation)

http://www.998r.info/Berichte/1000erTestPS2004Klein.pdf

Tension is mounting. Reason we are about to test the R1 before its official presentation in Australia against rivals CBR1000RR, ZX10R and the GSXR1000. We got this opportunity because someone was willing to lend his R1. On one condition to use it only on the track outside of public roads. No problem since only at the track you can test these bikes to their limit. So of we go to the south of Spain, with a load of Michelin Pilot Power and a mobile Dyno at hand. The test will be conducted together with colleagues from Spain, France, Italy and Japan. We were a little worried if the R1 would be there but it was.

Two hours later we start warming up the bikes. First the CBR1000RR, when sat on you notice that the Honda not only power wise is much sportier. The seating position is also much sportier than the old one, low clip-ons, seat close to the tank. It is much like Rossiís RCV perfectly balanced, on a modern racing bike you sit on not in the bike. After 2 warming up laps we go off! From the first meters it is confidence inspiring, there is nothing which makes you loose your concentration. Well almost nothing there is a slight play in the transmission which combined with the very direct throttle response is a little unnerving the others do this better. The radial brakes are perfect lots of feel. The suspension is comfortable but not too soft, more towards street riding then track biased. The forks makes sure the front wheel stays planted under acceleration and when it lifts there is the steering damper to settle it down. Owners of older Blades could only dream of this. However when it comes to handling the old one was a little better. The CBR1000 needs a little more body work to change direction. It feels very neutral and stable. Markus Barth mentions: it is very neutral, brakes are very good but the handling is little lacking and the direct throttle response is not nice, also at the top of the rev range it feels very flat, something you will also notice on the normal roads, it is lacking a bit of aggression at the top of the rev range.

Then the GSXR1000. It is clear that this is still a very capable bike, very nice throttle response. Power from the middle of the rev range straight to the top. Class act, a very smooth throttle which still is one the best. It is the same as the Honda in terms of feel sit on and feel good. Only you sit in it rather than on and it does not feel as compact as the Honda. The fairing is very good, easy to get behind offering the best windprotection. The brakes have changed instead of four pads now there is only two, after prolonged braking on the track they start to fade, not bad but annoying. The frame is unchanged and it is still very good. It feels a little heavier when throwing around, not that is bad, just in this company itís clear that there 1000 that can do better. This can be down to the longest wheelbase but also when changing tyres we notice that the wheels feel quite heavy.

Then it is time for the R1 which officially shouldnít be here. It looks the most European, with lots of attention for detail like a chromed ring around the rev counter. The clip-ons are little higher than on the old one. The seat is 2 centimeters closer to the steering head as well. The seating position is nice and sporty. When the starter button is pushed there is a revelation: an R1 that makes noise, nice noise in a kind of gentlemenís racers sort of way. Exhaust suppliers are going to have bad times on this one. The R1 also has a steering damper standard like the GSXR and as the old R1 it needs it. You can now fling it around without being afraid. The stability under braking is very good since the rear wheel stays planted. They engine is fantastic the way it pulls way up to the 14.000 rpm limit. The GSXR feels a little liver in this rev range. The brakes feel the same as on the old one although it has a radials now they still lack bite.

How a dream brake should work is something the ZX10R shows. Clear defined feel, enormous bite, needing only very little pressure. Markus Barth mentions: this is a real race brake no need to change anything. And the chassis is fantastic. The suspension is on the stiff side. It is very sensible both the road imperfections but also to changes in the settings. Normal riders will also find the ZX10R a revelation, no other 1000 stings so sharp into turns and is so controllable getting out. It goes exactly where the rider wants it to go. The other 1000ís handle very good but the ZX10R is in its own league. Not quite a 600 but almost there. Based on its size it is almost like its little sister the ZX6R, just as compact. Just like the ZX6RR it has an anti hopping clutch which operates perfect. The rave review continues with the engine when Markus Barth is loss for words it just means it is perfect. It has the broadest usable powerband of all 1000ís. It seems as though the GSXR has found its master. Below and in the middle of the range it feels just as good and strong and from 6000 rpm it fires away until the limiter cuts in. The Ram air seems to work very well to, on the straight the CBR1000 could only follow the ZX10R but could not overtake.
So there it is, if the ZX10R can hold its own the streets, or if the lack of the steering damper will cause much problems, what the top speed of these bikes is will be cleared in the second part of this test next month.

Conlusion:
It couldnít have come better for Kawasaki. The radical change from the ZX9R away from compromises and touring. The ZX10R continues were the ZX6R left off. Fantastic chassis, brilliant brakes, wonderful engine, fantastic handling. It means victory in this class. But it is very close as you can see, since the GSXR and the CBR are only one point apart. The R1 is last here but actually the also the fourth winner.

Last edited by sinister988; 02-23-2004 at 07:57 PM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: liter bike numbers on the 04's

Quote:
Originally posted by sinister988
Are you sure?
(different article and translation)

http://www.998r.info/Berichte/1000erTestPS2004Klein.pdf

Conlusion:
It couldnít have come better for Kawasaki. The radical change from the ZX9R away from compromises and touring. The ZX10R continues were the ZX6R left off. Fantastic chassis, brilliant brakes, wonderful engine, fantastic handling. It means victory in this class. But it is very close as you can see, since the GSXR and the CBR are only one point apart. The R1 is last here but actually the also the fourth winner.
yeah.. Ive read 3 different articles and they all pick a different bike. im looking forward to seeing some US comparo's. The bottom line is that we are all getting better machines thanks to the competitive market. Personally, I think that Kaw is ugly. I cant get used to the front end of it and no one even mentions that it has the absolute worst gauges ever made. How do you even see that Led in the sun when you're pinning that throttle. I like what they did with the rotors and offering an all black bike. I am also happy to see them make a competitive liter bike but my money is going to be spent on the the trusted tunning forks. I was disappointed in my last Honda so they dropped a notch in my book last season. On a race related subject.. my boy Rossi is at the Helm on a Yammy.. its gonna be a fun year!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 08:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: liter bike numbers on the 04's

Quote:
yeah.. Ive read 3 different articles and they all pick a different bike. .. its gonna be a fun year!
I agree.

I don't know what's the funniest:

1.Hearing people argue about which bike is better (even if they've never ridden any of them)

2. Hearing people point to a magazine review to prove their point.

3. Hearing people point to race results to prove which streetbike is better (the ZX-7R crowd does that alot)

4. People who only read peak hp numbers on the dyno and never look at torque #s (or how smooth the curves are)

5. People who don't have enough riding ability to take an EX500 to the limit trashing Liter bikes for being "slow".

With all the magazine subscriptions I have, I'm sure I can make a collection where all 4 bikes are judged the winner one way or another.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Re: Re: liter bike numbers on the 04's

Quote:
I agree.

1.Hearing people argue about which bike is better (even if they've never ridden any of them)

2. Hearing people point to a magazine review to prove their point.

3. Hearing people point to race results to prove which streetbike is better (the ZX-7R crowd does that alot)

4. People who only read peak hp numbers on the dyno and never look at torque #s (or how smooth the curves are)

5. People who don't have enough riding ability to take an EX500 to the limit trashing Liter bikes for being "slow".

With all the magazine subscriptions I have, I'm sure I can make a collection where all 4 bikes are judged the winner one way or another.
Yup.. it's just like when you see people on these big liter bikes or a 18000 dollar ducati.. they have an 800 dollar helmet, 1000 leathers, every aftermarket accessory made for thier bike and than you look that the back tire and they are almost 2 inches of tread on each side of the tire that has never seen pavement... I never say anything when they are talking shit.. I just smile and nod.. yep.. you're da man
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 08:09 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
Re: Re: Re: Re: liter bike numbers on the 04's

Quote:
I agree.

Ditto Darlin... totally agree

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: liter bike numbers on the 04's

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamRyder
Ditto Darlin... totally agree

E.
I just noticed your signature .. speeddivas? cumming soon? That will be a small group.. lol
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: liter bike numbers on the 04's

Quote:
I just noticed your signature .. speeddivas? cumming soon? That will be a small group.. lol
boy you're slow that's been there for a long time

and who says small isn't a good thing

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 07:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: liter bike numbers on the 04's

Quote:
Yup.. it's just like when you see people on these big liter bikes or a 18000 dollar ducati.. they have an 800 dollar helmet, 1000 leathers, every aftermarket accessory made for thier bike and than you look that the back tire and they are almost 2 inches of tread on each side of the tire that has never seen pavement... I never say anything when they are talking shit.. I just smile and nod.. yep.. you're da man

Hey JT that sounds familiar! Glad to see Redline back!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode