You learn by actual experience - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

You learn by actual experience

When I first started riding just enough where I was barely comfortable with highway riding and riding at night, I decided to go out for a joy ride one late afternoon. I kept riding on this one highway just for that curiosity to see what was out in an area I've never been to. One of the reasons that makes joy riding joyful.

Thinking that the highway I was on would be straight as it was when I started, I continued on about 40 miles and found that all of a sudden, I'm in the mountains riding all these twisty roads. I never experienced riding on this many turns at one time. I was overwelmed, but kept patient and just went with my rider training to carefuly ride all the curves. The sun was starting to go down and the rock formations around me were a beautiful reddish-orange from the sunset. I don't know if the beauty of it made me more relaxed, but it sure wasn't something I saw everyday.

I probably went through another 25-30 miles of twisty roads when I got to a small town.
I refueled and though I better go back home. It is now dark outside. Now I have to go back through all those same twisting roads in the darkness. I followed a semi-truck and other vehicles back and used them and their headlights on the road ahead as a guide.

Needless to say, I made it back home okay. But after all that, I was now more comfortable and more skilled with riding on multiple turns and riding at night than I ever was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Glad to hear you made it alright, and way to keep your cool. Not the way many would advise to learn, but any day you come home without a scratch on you or the bike is a food one!

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 03:34 AM
Strength and Honor

Night riding has become my least favorite period mainly because of the animal danger. There is also the issue that out in the country you can't really tell where to fix your eyes ahead of the curve to get the best line because you usually can't tell where the road's going, just as you experienced.

But any riding at all is better than none

One tip I picked up here, I think from slaintedan, was that if there are trees along the road the tree line tells you how the roads curves work out. Its been handy.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode