Best Curves You Have Ever Ridden? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Arrow

Don't make this into a sick joke , but in what country, state, town, highway, ect. has been the very best roads you have ever ridden?

Some of the members may be traveling sometime and would like to know where to lean it over and get some grins.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 11:30 AM

Awesome roads in Oregon. Off I-5 there is 38 to coast, East 38 to CraterLake, 42 to coast, 126 to coast. There are so many more less traveled and curvier, but I don't know the #'s, and tough to give directions. CAREFUL, the roads mentioned almost always have statetroopers on the weekends.

TREvor

------------------
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 12:32 PM

Cool

I have to say by far the best road i have EVER ridden was a place called Nell's gap in Northern Georgia. It is between Blairesville and Delonega. I think the road is the infamous 19/129! It is an awesome road with LOTS of curves and banking. I saw countless numbers of sportbike and and as many cops! But they have a contest there to see who can get through it and back the quickest with the most rubbed off of their knee and elbow pads!!!

------------------
95% of Harley Davidsons are still on the road today,
5% actually made it home!

Bryon Hart
Ocala, Fl
95 ZX-7

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 02:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mad kaw
Thumbs up

Some of my favorites:

1. Hwy 181 from Morganton, NC to
Jonas Ridge, NC. Fifteen miles of
high speed sweepers with a couple
of tight turns through the
Linville Gorge Wilderness Area.

2. Hwy 197 from Green Mtn, NC to
Erwin, Tn. Every kind of curve
imaginable. Very remote, so little
traffic and no police at all.

3. Hwy 143 from Robbinsville, Nc to
Telico Plains, Tn. Forty miles of
sweepers that you can take as fast
as you like. Great Views.

4. Shady Valley, Tn. This area easily
gives Deal's Gap a run for it's money.
Not as well known, so mostly just locals
(a couple of ex-WERA guys)riding there.

All of these roads are worth checking
out if your traveling the southeast.

------------------
"This space for rent."
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 03:20 PM

Smile

Located in the South Island of New Zealand, state highway 1 from Picton to Christchurch, it's about 350km's of twisties with a few good straights thrown in and some long sweepers for good mesure.

Ross cbrxx

------------------
He who dies with the most toys "wins"
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 05:46 PM
jrm

North Cascades Highway in Washington. This road closes in the winter because they can't keep it plowed safely SO you KNOW it has to be good!

------------------
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 06:33 PM

Highway 46 (don't know if it's a County Road or a Farm Road, those of you that've lived in (we have no friggin' idea how to name our roads) Texas will understand the naming) between 16 and I 10. About 20 miles of FAST (100 MPH DRAGGING THE PEGS KIND OF FAST) left, right, left-right, right-left sweepers, loooong uphills, loooooooooonger downhills. By far the most challenging road I've ever ridden fast on. The 100mph speeds I describe arent' the usual speeds that my riding buds and I take this road on. Usually it's about 85-90. At that speed, 10 mph is a BIG difference. At 100, I was honestly riding at 10-tenths of my ability. I know it was dumb, and I should save testing my abilities for the track, but what's done is done. Anyway, it's a great road, EXCEPT...what kind of Cosmo post would it be if I didn't bitch about stuff?

1. Old people in Cadillacs doing 50 in a 60, that honestly was designed and paved for 80 mph.

2. Farmer Brown piloting the John Deere, (at 23 mph) towing the big-ass trailer w/900 pounds of hay. No joke. This is serious backwoods country. You get behind him, you will either get rear-ended by someone else or asphyxiatied by the hay flying off the trailer.

3. Cops. Cops. DAMN COPS. How come every decent road is covered with roach-like cops? Ah. I know why. Ain't stupid 'ya know. The cops know it's an absolutely perfect road for "evil" sportbikers. They've known for years. Easy tix. So they sit. Luckily, I've only see them out there maybe 30% of the time.

The road is awesome. Aside from crashing, and allllmooooooost (soiled shorts) lowsiding, I can honestly say it's the only time I've ever really scared myself because of how fast I was cornering. Riding at 10/10ths of my ability doesn't happen often. Wow.

------------------
Cosmo
'97 Katana 750
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 09:23 PM

Thumbs up

This should become an open thread quickly!

One of my favorites, Skull Valley, AZ. Located on (correct me if I'm wrong) 89a between Bagdad <(another good run) and SR 89. Good road with some tight and some long turns.

Watch out for the COWS

------------------
If they have four wheels, they will not see you.

[This message has been edited by VYPIR (edited June 14, 2000).]
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 01:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to her93zx6 Send a message via Yahoo to her93zx6
Cool

some of the best curves i've ridden has been here in ohio. (we're not all farm lands and cows ya know!)
pick any roads in the hocking hills area, and they're twisty.
in other words, almost any road to the east of Route 104, and south of I-70 are great. too many to mention.

------------------
Amy
"Smiling from gear to gear."
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 01:48 AM
Pete

Hey Taner, great topic! Do you mind if it gets moved over into the "Pick a Route" forum?

------------------
Pete
Email: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode