Best Curves You Have Ever Ridden? - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 96 (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 06:42 PM

Cool

I ran into some really nice twisty stuff in the foothills of northern Arkansas. My AWD Talon's tires and brakes were smoking before I finally backed off and took it easy into the little town for a minor car repair. The road's maybe 10-15 miles long, but was a blast, would be willing to bet there are others in the area.

BTW: Ran into no law enforcement at all during the 30 minute excursion.

Xert

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-11-2000, 04:43 AM

Out here in California we have great roads everywhere. We also have some boring parts, but that's another thread. My favorites are:

Highway 25 south out of Hollister. Nice combination of long straights and twisties. Very little traffic and no cops.

Highway 140 into Yosemite Valley. Hell, any road into Yosemite is excellent, but this one is newly paved, has some great corners, and the scenery is spectacular.

Highway 168 from Big Pine to the Bristlecone Pine Forest turnoff. Big Pine is on the east side of the Sierra Nevada, about 90 miles from Death Valley. This road starts at 4,000 feet and climbs to 8,000 feet in 12 miles. As you might imagine, it is really twisty, sort of like riding a roller coaster but without the rails. I've never seen more than three cars in that stretch.

Highway 1 from Monterey to San Simeon on Sunday morning. Yeah, the Pacific Coast Highway has a reputation for being a parking lot. All I can say to that is get your lazy butt out of bed earlier. Hit it at sunrise on a Sunday and you'll find solitude and unbeatable scenery. Just be careful about that target fixation thing or you'll end up in the ocean.

There are more, many more, but this thread would get way too long.

------------------
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
post #23 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 02:40 PM

you guys ever look at a map of kentucky?

check this out...we have a state that has over 40,000 square miles, with a population of only about 3.7 million...can you say very little traffic?

we have mountains in the east, blue grass and horse farms in the central and western areas..a good climate with little snow and therefore not much salt put on the roads leads to smooth roads that go up, over, and around the hills...lots of curves with very little traffic and even fewer cops.

try rt 22 from Maysville on the ohio river east of cincinnati to Louisville, which is 100 miles west of cincinnati. one of the best roads i have EVER been on.

------------------

post #24 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 05:03 AM
Squidwannabe

Look at route 327 & 329

------------------
Evil doers beware !

Adam
post #25 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 08:48 AM

Seems there are great roads just about everywhere. Anyone else noticed that no one from Kansas or Nebraska has chimed in on this thread?

------------------
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

[This message has been edited by photobug (edited October 19, 2000).]
post #26 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-26-2000, 03:45 PM

Cuz its flat....

No realy it is...nice country....WIDE OPEN and beautiful....but FLAT...

There's a reason they call them te GREAT plains..never seen so much grass in my life....

BV
post #27 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 01:18 PM

Best Roads

By far the best roads I've ever ridden are in Yamaguchi, Japan. I lived there for three years and had more fun than you can imagine. There is not a strait road anywhere for 200 miles. Yamaguchi Prefecture has the luck of being a small, rural area that has produced a lot of influential politicians. This means they never have problems getting funding for road projects. They build new roads long before the old ones are worn out so while everyone and their dog is traveling the new roads, I had the "old" roads, the really twisty ones, all to myself. I had the perfect weapon for those roads too. My NSR 250 R (basically a street-legal 250 GP bike) was far and away the best handling bike I've owned. I used to just "get lost" by riding away from my apartment and choosing my route by how much fun the road looked. If anyone here has the chance to go to Japan, don't pass up the chance to do some riding, it will be life changing experience. Just my two cents.

JON
post #28 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-23-2001, 04:39 PM

I've got to vote for the western sections of North Carolina. Get a map and draw a box from Knoxville TN to Ashville NC south to the border of NC and SC and back west to south of Knoxville. Just about any road in there is great. You'll find the standards, Deals Gap, Cherahala Skyway, Blue Ridge Pkwy, all great roads. I think my favorite ride down there is NC SR 28 from US 64 up to the bottom of Deals Gap at US 129. Great sticky pavemnet and every kind of turn you want. Big fast sweepers and tight nasty stuff.

NC SR 215 from Waynesville NC up to the Blue Ridge and down to US 64 is also a must do when I'm down there.

I'm from Cincy and I have to agree with the post up the board about KY SR 22 from Maysville to Louisville, great road, especially the sections around Falmouth KY.

KY SR 32 From Cythiana KY to Louisa WV is a road worth a look too.
post #29 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 07:15 PM

Talking Zippety-do-daaa Zippeddee-aaa

In southern california try Highway 2, the Angeles Crest Highway located just east of Los Angeles in the San Gabriel Mountains. Close to 60 miles of twists and turns that you can take as fast as you dare, all the while enjoying the scenery at ~7,000 feet elevation. Thats the up side. Down side is that the entire route is posted at 55mph and is a "Special Enforcement Zone" which will get you a double fine if you get caught speeding. Try it, you'll like it even at legal speeds! Locals will then take the Angeles Forest Highway toward Palmdale, then turn left down Aliso Canyon, a short 7 mile blast that rarely has CHP and takes you back to the freeway that will get you back to LA.

Last edited by Green01SprintST; 06-11-2002 at 07:22 PM.
post #30 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 12:06 AM

Wink Another Good SoCal Ride

North out of LA on Interstate 5, north of Santa Clarita and Magic Mountain is a Lake called Castaic (cas-TA-ic) Lake. Turn off there and go east on Lake Hughs road. Nice ride, you can turn off at either San Francesquito Canyon (site of last weeks big brush fire, 25K plus acres burned) or Bouquet Canyon Road, site of a big brush fire the week before that, or just keep going straight on to the 14 freeway and back to LA. All up should be about ~120 mile round trip from the LA basin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode