Kick ass roads! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2000, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Have to share: A couple of my best rides are just two miles from my house, Reno, NV, State Route 431, "Geiger Grade", Reno to Virginia City: 80s-90s mph will keep your heart in your throat . Watch your head on the strong lean lefties. Pleanty of passing spots, very little law enforcement . Also State Route 341, "Mount Rose Highway", Reno to Lake Tahoe, lots of slow traffic though and tough passing. Use caution looking out for sand/dirt kicked into road, fall'n rocks, and sand due to winter traction control on both. The Dyna-Jet, and great pipe helps considerably for the high Alt. riding, especially for 600s. Great Rides if ever in the area!

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 09:38 PM

Picking up....
From Incline Village at Lake Tahoe, stop at the Lone Eagle Grill for a high class setting right on the water, for a cold Coke or hot coffee (never drink & drive, ever)

Then head on around the lake, eith the CA or NV side to South Lake Tahoe. Hook up on Hwy 50 towards Sacramento and just after the Agriculture Check Station, take the Hwy 89 turn-off to Hope Valley, perhaps one of the prettiest valleys on the continent!

When you get to Hope Valley, either go on over to Jackson, CA via Hwy 88, or head towards Minden, NV. When you get down off the mountain, be sure to take Foothill road over to Genoa, Nevada's oldest town (my home too), then head on back to Reno.

Hey Mapes (Named after an old hotel they blew up a couple years back, very cool BANG!) Shoot me an email and perhaps we'll take a lap together. Are you connected with any of the folks from the Sierra Sportbike Association?

Ride Safe,
Kev

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re:Hook'n up w/ "Kev" Sorry this took so long! "Mapes"

Hey Kev, Sorry I took so damn long to reply to you. Been wraped up quite a bit. This sounds like a BEAUTIFUL Ride! I will absolutely check this one out! I've been around the lake a couple times, and in from this side your talk'n about from Placerville. I will have a great time, it sounds like, checking out this new territory. I love the Genoa area. VERY BEAUTIFUL!!! I wish I could afford to live there! I would really like to get together for some fun sightseeing of new roads. I don't belong to any Riding Clubs I've never really checked into any. I would love to belong to one, or two, or three...! I really don't have anyone to ride with. I've always been, shall I say, SHY. Other than the fact that I've always been content riding solo. But I sure wouldn't mind if that changed! I'm really honored by your invite and, as I said, would love to get together w/ someone that shares this extreme interest (OBSESSION) of mine Would you please drop me a reply to this and give me your e-mail address or, just e-mail me directly.(If that's allowed in this forum. I know I read somewhere in one on my forums that giving out e-mail was absolutely not allowed. I belong to so many though, I can't remeber which one/s are like this. Anyway, I don't know how you can connect w/ others out of the forum w/ out doing this. OH WELL, here goes... my e-mail is: [email protected] my home phone is(775)853-7609. PLEASE FEEL FREE to call me COLLECT if you want, and if you are serious about gett'n together. I know it's a little bit of a commute, but I would love to ride down sometime and meet. Well, the wife's call'n me to dinner so, gotta run! Take real good care and I look forward to meeting you! Again, please drop me an e-mail and/or give me a call (Please, call collect. It's more than worth it to me! I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks again for the post, and the info. on some new territory for me to explore!!! Sincerely & Respectfully, "Mapes" (John Maples)

Ride to Live, Live to Ride! ALWAYS RESPECT YOUR BIKE, AS WELL AS YOUR ABILITIES!!!That's what makes SUCCESSFUL riders, and RIDERS successful! ENJOY TO THE FULLEST!!!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 05:33 PM

Hey There,
Been in bed with the flu this gloriously beautiful weekend

I'll shoot you an email from my office machine, as I'm on the bride's pc now. My email is [email protected] and my office phone is 782-0800 just tell my lovely staff that the call is about my bike and that will generally get you right through.

I'll also get you hooked up with Zach from the Sierra Sportbike club. A really nice fellow and they do rides every weekend, many of which launch out of Reno. They aren't stupid squids from what I've seen so they're a safe group to ride with. I think their website is www.sportbikeusa.com but I'm not sure. If it's wrong, try a Google.com search for Siearra Sportbike Association.

I tend to ride solo most of the time too. I steal quick rides when I can. (3 kids, martial arts school-hobby, wifey, house, etc....you get the picture!)

Let's touch bases this week. I'm in Minneapolis next weekend, but I think I'm home the following. Ride safe and enjoy this great weather. Man it sucks being sick!

Be Well,
Kevin

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Talking Thanks for quik reply, sorry to hear...

Hey Kev, Thanks much for the quick reply! I am really sorry to hear about your being sick. I know how aggrivating that can be. I hope your back in the saddle quickly. Thanks much for the info you provided me with. I will DEFINITELY look into this. I would like to join a good, MATURE, group to ride with! Tired of seeing these idiots out there that are looking for nothing more than to meet face to face (literally) with an oncoming truck, car, or, God forsake, another bike! I really hope we can get together for a ride soon. I'll give you a call, PLEASE provide me w/ your area code, or I'll drop an e-mail of to you this week and see what we can get set up! It's been great talk'n w/ you and I look forward to when we can get together! The weather is really look'n up and I'll be putt'n the miles on once again. Brand new tires ready to chew up some pavement. You take GOOD CARE and get BETTER real soon! I wish you the very best! Get back to me re: your area code. I look forward to meeting somday SOON! Well, until I we speak again, My best wishes, Sincerely and Respectfully, John Maples (MAPES)

Ride to Live, Live to Ride! ALWAYS RESPECT YOUR BIKE, AS WELL AS YOUR ABILITIES!!!That's what makes SUCCESSFUL riders, and RIDERS successful! ENJOY TO THE FULLEST!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 08:46 AM

Same area code as you buddy. I also like to head out the the end of Johnson Lane (take a look at a map of the Carson Valley area) It is the jump off point for some really fabulous dirt bike trails in the Pinenut mountains.

A group of guys from my church head out once a month for a group ride up there that's loads of fun too. I'll email you when the next ride is scheduled.

As far as road rides go, as I said, its a catch as catch can situation for me. I steal quick "valley loops" when I can, or a quick loop around the Eastern side of the Lake when the weather clears up. My ZX is parked (long story) so my road riding is on the Road King, think of it as a relaxed touring sporter

Definately get a hold of the Sierra Sportbike group as they run rides every weekend. I just got an email from Zach telling me that a new ride schedule was just posted on their site.

Another sunny day and I' sitting here sipping on some nasty herb tea my wife insists will make me feel better. I think it falls under the category of "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger"
Ride Safe,
Kev

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Cool Hello Kev!

Hey Kev, I really hope your getting BETTER! I've heard that the "GREEN TEA" is SUPPOSE to be good for you! I don't know though, taste is everything to me and some of that holistic herbal stuff is just too nasty for me to choke down unless I can mix it w/ something far more flavorful. Best of luck w/ it and I really do hope it helps! You definitely can't beat kick'n back and relaxing in the beautiful Sierra Sun That's gotta make anyone feel a little better at least. I am definitely going to check into the Sierra Sportbike club this week. Pretty busy w/ my little girl (Kendra, turned 3 on the 10th) tomorrow. We have gymnastics @ 10:30 and then I am starting to help instruct a Martial Arts class (Ju-Jitsu) for disabled people @ 1:00, along with running a bunch of errands to top it all off. I'll most likely check them out on Thurs. I noticed you too are into the "Arts". What discipline/s do you practice? I'm looking forward to getting Kendra started, as soon as her attention span will allow, which is quite soon. Weather permitting, I think I'll take a ride down this Sunday. I'd like to stop by, if your up to having a visitor? I'm sure we'll talk again before then but just in case, drop me your address ( I already have your number) and we'll see if we can meet on Sunday, if your feeling better! I would certainly give you a call before I barge in on you! I want to be able to give you plenty of advance notice before dropping by. It sure is very much a pleasure chatting with you. I hope I'm not being a bother, or anything! I can just imagine your thinking, "Ya, like I'm gonna meet with some guy I just met on the net!" I really am a good guy! (PROMISE) I don't have a whole lot of friends, just a few very close ones. That's how I like it though. I don't have ANY friends that enjoy my riding obsession though. It would be very nice to make some! Well, I better let you go. GET TO FEELING BETTER! Get back to me when you get a chance! I look forward to hearing from you, as well as meeting you. Sincerely & Respectfully, "Mapes"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode