Bandera to Camp Wood TX - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Great roads, elevation changes, slow(20mph) and fast(130mph)curves, south TX sunshine, very few automobiles and cops but please be considerate to the few that are out and they will wave you on by, when there is an opening or a place they can pull over. Take 16 to 470 to 187 to 337 to Camp Wood. You will love it!
ps. let me know when you will be up for the run and I will meet you for a quick trip.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
2000 Katana 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2000, 05:54 PM

I am hoping to do A Calgary, Canada to Galveston, TX run where my best friend lives in 2002. Maybe we could hook up running one way or the other. Would you say a 600 is more than enough as I am a new rider and looking at something small I am only 160 lbs so I figure 600 is probably more than enough even with luggage, tank, tail and saddlebags. What can be eliminated will be done.

------------------
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Wow Leslie,

Canada to Galveston, now that's a ride. I would look for a bike that will sit you a little more upright than leaned over. A 600cc bike will be a suitable size bike with plenty of power for 1 person, decent fuel mileage(mine rarely dips below 40mpg, lower insurance rates, lower payments, and reasonable power when riding 2-up. Are you short - under 65"? I would sit on many different bikes and see which feels the most comfortable to you, one that you can touch the ground on easily and with both feet. If you do find a deal on a bike, check with Corbin for an aftermarket seat with a lower and wider saddle. Corbin's seats are atleast 1.5" lower than the stock seat. Will you be making the trip alone? That is a long way to go without anyone.
Pete - one of the moderator's lives close to Galveston so maybe we can get him to come along on the Campwood run.
looking forward to meeting/riding with you, let me know if I can be of any assistance.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
2000 Katana 600
38 speeding tickets and still counting

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2000, 04:35 PM

Yeah I know its quite the run...But I have been to Texas 3 times already, next time I want to be able to see more of the country instead of out a plane window. Myself?? Dont care, unless a buddy will get a bike too, but I know he would be more of a shadow type of bike. I do realize leaning over will be a pain but I would be getting a bike that is a little bigger than me. For your question I am actually 5'10"-5'11". So yeah any way I could be more stretched out on the bike would be done, I have heard beside your suggestion on Corbin seats(do these come colour matched?), the handlebars on a 99 zx6r is wider so that would help out in comfort and also front wheel feel and handling from what I understand. I would love to meet people on the way. Say, Pete from Galveston to your place to Camp Wood would be great for on the way back via Phoenix, Vegas, Salt Lake. But I am getting a little ahead of myself as this run probably wouldnt be until 2002 when I get 3 weeks vacation plus 1 week sick and banked pay. Doesnt hurt to dream for now.

------------------
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2000, 03:10 AM
Pete

Thumbs up

Well, I plan on still being here in 2002, so keep me posted. And Todd, I still plan on taking a ride out your way soon, so I'll keep you posted. BTW, are you planning on going to the R.O.T. bike rally in Austin June 9-11? I'm considering it.

------------------
Pete
Email: [email protected]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2000, 09:12 AM
Umbrella girl chaser

Damn Todd, I just did that ride last weekend--posted in daily rider. It sure was awesome. Let's get a Texas crew together and go sometime. By the way, how many Texans do we have here?

------------------
Clark
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2000, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

FYI, Todd Hoffmaster is out till 7/17. He will reply then.

Thank you.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2000, 12:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
Pete they're not going to let you out of that padded cell.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2000, 02:58 PM

Cool

The best twisties in that trip are on 337 between the Lost Maples General Store and Leakey. The second hill going toward Leakey has my favorite corners in the country. I'm still looking for a set that good out here in California.

If you want to make a longer day trip out of it head up 335 north of Camp Wood, then come back down 336 to Leakey. The roads aren't quite as smooth in spots, but there are some great corners and excellent scenery, plus the traffic is even lighter. Highway 55 north out of Camp Wood is the twistiest four-lane road I've seen and is a good side trip. Just don't go all the way to Rocksprings unless you're a serious mileage rider. Rocksprings is the middle of nowhere.

As an alternate route back from Camp Wood/Leakey, take a left at the Lost Maples General Store and head to Highway 39, then go through Kerrville on the way home. Stop at Bill's Barbecue for sustenance if you make it before they close. The Hunt store also has excellent barbecue, but Bill's is the best.

------------------
"For every action there is an equal and moronic overreaction."
Peter Egan
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2000, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

I took the wife and son out for the day to show them where I go and play and what usually takes 4 hrs., took me 8 hrs. in the 4 wheeler.
They liked the scenery and unfortunately, did not see any bikes riding around the twisties. I was hoping to catch atleast 3 bikes riding so the family could see what it's all about.
I love the hill country. It is getting hot out, too. So see you all early in the morning on the weekends. Just let me know when you are ready to ride

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode