Ortega Hwy. Orange County CA. - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 01:56 PM

Tim, cut and paste away.

The main reason it scored high in my opinion was the remote location and lack of people/cars. I could concentrate on the ride and not worry about flashing blue lights. I agree, the straights near Simmer were fun. I actually got some airtime when I hit the dips.

Time to checkout Cottonwood road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 03:57 AM

ortega hwy

for the road conditions, amount of traffic and all the cops, you might as well go the extra distance to palomar mtn. the roads have been redone and they are perfect. the only place for cops is at the bottom of the mtn and there is a cafe at the top as well. if anyone wants more info on it lets me know.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 04:24 AM

Re: ortega hwy

Quote:
Originally posted by giorgio-r1
for the road conditions, amount of traffic and all the cops, you might as well go the extra distance to palomar mtn. the roads have been redone and they are perfect. the only place for cops is at the bottom of the mtn and there is a cafe at the top as well. if anyone wants more info on it lets me know.
NO NO NO !!!!! DEAD WRONG!!!!!!! Stay away !!!!! Cops, Hostile locals calling the cops, putting oil, sand on the road, Harrasment by the sheriff at the cafe WARNING, WARNING, DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!!!!!

(Giorgio, will you SHUT UP it's already too crowded)

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 02:16 AM

Angry uncalled for

Hey man that kind of reply is not needed! I just spent 3 years living in escondido, just 25 min from Palomar Mtn. I posted the reply based on the conditions I encountered durring my many trips un the Mtn. If you encountered something different then so be it, but dont send messages telling me to shut up like I dont know what I'm talking about. We might have a difference of opion but dont be a dick, my religion is the same as yours......BIKES!

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 03:10 AM

Re: uncalled for

Quote:
Originally posted by giorgio-r1
Hey man that kind of reply is not needed! I just spent 3 years living in escondido, just 25 min from Palomar Mtn. I posted the reply based on the conditions I encountered durring my many trips un the Mtn. If you encountered something different then so be it, but dont send messages telling me to shut up like I dont know what I'm talking about. We might have a difference of opion but dont be a dick, my religion is the same as yours......BIKES!

I'm totally sorry, man. I thought the smiley face would have told you that my comments were in jest. I LOVE mt. palomar, but I was hoping to kind of keep it a secret form those who don't know about it. BTW I have personally encountered almost all of the negative things I listed. One of the reasons the locals have taken such a hostile attitude lately is that on sat or sun their neighborhood sounds like a Superbike race all day. They complain, the cops come out, harass, the crowd goes, for a while. So everytime I see someone touting palomar as a great place, I wince.

And I agree, we do have the same religion and yes palomar is a beautiful place to practice that religion.

Last edited by desmo079; 01-28-2002 at 04:48 AM.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 06:29 PM

Ortega Highway

Its surprising no one has talked about San Diego county. Highway 79 through Palomar, Highway 76 to Palomar, the roads out to Borrego Springs, to Julian, Sunset Highway, and Harbison Canyon is a good 150 to 200 mile ride. If any of you are visiting the San Diego area or southern Cali, you should strongly consider bringing the bike for some beautiful and intense riding.

Of course Sunday's are packed at the top of Palomar Mtn.

Seca is less than a month and half away!
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 06:40 PM

Ortega Hwy

Ooops I didn't read through all the posts. I think with every riding route you will have hassle from the fuzz. However, I rode with my bro, doubling up with our respective better halves, and we only saw one cop this Sunday. Granted we didn't get to the top of Palomar until 3:00 PM. I disagree with the conditions of the road mentioned earlier. I would have to say those roads were their cleanest in a long time, except for those ****en grasshoppers on the Mesa Grande loop (at the bridge).

Another gut wrenching route, short but very intense is Highland Valley road (the backway into Ramona).

Long time resident of San Diego county.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:48 PM

Born in hemet and lived in Lake Elsinore until I was about 13 than moved to the oc. Ortega Hwy is well known, when I lived in Elsinore you would always see on the news that another biker died. But there are alot of cages up there.. best time is late at night or 11am-1pm.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 01:04 PM

Re: Re: ortega hwy

Quote:
Originally posted by desmo079
NO NO NO !!!!! DEAD WRONG!!!!!!! Stay away !!!!! Cops, Hostile locals calling the cops, putting oil, sand on the road, Harrasment by the sheriff at the cafe WARNING, WARNING, DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!!!!!

(Giorgio, will you SHUT UP it's already too crowded)

LOL!! My sentiments exactly. I've ridden just about every conceivable 'canyon road', in and around, southern California and I must say that Palomar is the best by far. Fortunately and/or unfortunately it is quite a lenghty ride just to get there. I think that in itself will keep the majority of squids from bothering with it (hopefully!!).

Mile for mile I think Angeles Crest is the better option (hint, hint .... everybody go there and leave Palomar alone)!!!
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 01:11 PM

By the way, those of you that think I was joking about Angeles Crest being the best mile for mile canyon road around here .... think about this.

You know those signs that show a curvy arrow and then is followed by a Next 'xx' miles ahead??? How about 'next 46 miles'?? NO LIE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode