Az - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Az

All of the roads in AZ are truly awesome to ride. Lot's of drop-offs so be careful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 01:19 PM

rides

I haven't found nothing but straight roads in southern AZ. Can you give me some directions to some nice twisties?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Six

Re: rides

Quote:
Originally posted by 900DucRider
I haven't found nothing but straight roads in southern AZ. Can you give me some directions to some nice twisties?

How much have you ridden or driven around in SE AZ? Not having a go at you here, just trying to find out what you may have already ridden on...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

I haven't ridden the south east area yet, but I hear that it's pretty good. I have not found that many bad roads in AZ...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 07:11 AM

Re:rides

Quote:
Originally posted by 900DucRider
First, I am a native Zonie so I must say, learn to appreciate the beauty of straight roads lined with desert vegetation and some interesting wildlife... in the Arizona flat lands we have 45 min of straight, Turn Left Turn Right Turn Left Turn Right then… 45 min of straight... To see curves either go to a night club ;-) or head to the mountains.

Southern and South Eastern AZ is tricky, there are some twisties out that way that are pretty decent.

1. Mt Lemon (Lemon is a great summer ride with lots of turns but preview it carefully, sometimes that road is beat up pretty badly by the snow!)

You have 24 hours in your wallet each day; how you spend them will determine who you are, and what you will become. Life's too short to fear what could happen, and too long to contemplate what could have been!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 07:12 AM

Continued...
2. Between Catalina (25 miles from Tucson North of Mt Lemon on SR-77) and Globe is a little canyon that is kind of nice, smooth with many passing lanes so you don't have to pass on blind spots to keep the ride fun, traffic is usually very light and I cannot recall ever seeing a cop on that stretch but as always in AZ use your best judgment.

3. East of Globe towards The Fort Apache Indian Reservation you need to pass through the Salt River Canyon on US-60. Much more aggressive Hwy Patrol action and a much busier road, but the canyon is very nice and in the summer time, you are heading towards some of the coolest climate in the state, winds can be hawking pretty strong on the Eastern side of the Salt River Canyon but settle out once you hit the woods East of there. I realize this is not exactly in Tucson’s back yard, but it is some of the best twisties that I can think of towards the East.

You have 24 hours in your wallet each day; how you spend them will determine who you are, and what you will become. Life's too short to fear what could happen, and too long to contemplate what could have been!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 07:13 AM

Bit Farther for you,

North, I-17 takes you to the Black Canyon Mtns. High speed twisties approaching the New River Rest Stop, Again more twisties dropping into Verde Valley, and climbing into Flagstaff

Take US-60 Out of Phx heading North West and take the 89 towards Congress Wave hello to the Gian Green Frog on the North side of the Road as you head up the Yarnell Hill route to Prescott up through Jerome. This often referred to as the second best twisties in the state. (this is heavily patrolled and it is rumored that the local police used to time bikes from the bottom and cite them at the top based upon time up the hill vs actual speed) Nice ride but it can get a lttle cool in the winter and ICE IS A PROBLEM AS IS SAND AFTER A SNOWY WINTER – Not that we need to worry too much this 2006 riding season)

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 07:14 AM

Continued more...

From Prescott, Take 89 (Alternate) 89A north out of town toward Cottonwood then on to Sedona then travel towards the I-17 going North out of Sedona instead of returning home directly to the South, this road 89A will return you to I-17 near Flagstaff.

SR-95 is a nice pathway bordering the Colorado up through Parker on to Lake Havasu and then towards Bullhead City and Laughlin NV.

Now then, My Favorite Ride quite often referred to as Biker Nirvana in AZ , though the road is usually crappy and not well maintained, is to take the 60 to Globe, Continue East through the Salt, heading towards New Mexico, Just East of Springerville, you’ll see the 180 heading south off of the 60. That road leads you to the quaint little village of Alpine, AZ. At this point, it is a “choose your own adventure”. 191 to Morenci/Clifton (old mining towns) or 180 to New Mex (the 78 will get you back home to the 191 from the 180 in Mexico. AZ side is better!. I know plenty of people who trailer their bikes up to Alpine, camp nearby, and run the road a few times. It is a long drive and a very twisty road so plenty of rest can be nice.

Anyone, please feel free to add to this list or list any dangers, I have been off of two wheels for about two years so I may not have the most accurate information but this is at least a good start!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode