Angeles Crest HWY - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Angeles Crest HWY

Holy S***&^&*^t!

I think I died and went to heaven!
Just got back from my first ride to Angeles Crest Highway, Rt. 2.
Pashnit.com's recommendation was right on. I went around noon to 1 in the afternoon and didn't see any cops, but on my way back, I ran into a couple riders who had mentioned there are cops hanging out definately in the morning. Going on along Rt. 2 from West to East, the first 9 miles of road is smooth; after that, the road can be resurfaced with some freshly laid asphalt; but, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. What's good about Angeles Crest is that it is on the most part an endless stretch of turns without much traffic. I went on a Sat. afternoon, I can imagine what it would be like during the week! The turns are awesome. There aren't too many turns that are dangerous. Just remember to concentrate and ride within your ability. The only dangerous part is that if you go into too hot, you can become a permanent part of the mountain or go off a cliff! I'm so happy I found Angeles Crest!!! I'm definately going back there tomorrow.
Anyone in the area, you have to check it out. It's approximately 55 miles. Gas stations only at the either end of the HWY. After I ride this a bit, I'll have to check out the other infamous HWY, Ortega.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 04:46 PM

WHOA

if you're talking about what's pictured in the map below, looks like that might be worth a trip over from AZ!!

Last edited by badchad; 08-17-2002 at 04:53 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 06:51 PM

Angeles Crest is a total blast. I do the ride to Newcombs Ranch every Sunday morning...get a little rest there and head back.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 06:51 PM

ACH is DEFINATELY worth a ride over from AZ but while you're here try out Glendora Mt Road and Mt Palomar which are both also listed on www.Pashnit.com which BTW is an all time coolest top 10 site in my book.

Anytime you want a guided tour just let me know and bring your leathers!!

Repeal helmet laws, they only protect people we most likely don't need in the gene pool any way!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
ACH is DEFINATELY worth a ride over from AZ but while you're here try out Glendora Mt Road and Mt Palomar.
Enforcement is intense on Angeles Crest these days, and I've heard the same about Palomar, so choose your riding time carefully. Sundays are not good.

Read this thread before you go nuts on Glendora Mountain Road or Glendora Ridge Road. It's narrow and dirty with steep drop-offs and solid rock faces instead of shoulders.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

For those of you who've ridden Angeles Crest HWY recently, are the warnings about the cops, etc. still relevant? I'm not sure how old the postings on Pashnit.com is, but is it true that if you go over 1 MPH the posted limit, you'll be pulled over? I guess I got lucky today on choosing my riding time (in the afternoon). It would totally suck to go always at 45 or 55 MPH. So, what's the best time to ride ACH? Also, I've heard of Ortega HWY... Where is that in relations to Burbank? How's the road compared to ACH?
For those of you who live in CA, are ACH and Ortega indeed the best roads? in CA and even in the nation?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, DataDan; that was quite sobering.
I know the cop had mentioned that this guy was hitting his apexes, etc.,... so was he constantly crossing over to the opposing lane?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 11:16 PM

Ortega Hwy is another fun road. It's not as long, only about 25 miles i think all the way over it. But Ortega is getting really gnarly with the cops. Ticket fines are doubled and even trippled on that stretch of hwy.
From LA, it's about 1 hour south on the 5 fwy into south orange county. Exit Ortega Hwy and head east. The road condition is very good, there are some crazy cage drivers though, you should be carefull of that. Otherwise it's pretty fun.

get'em boy.............
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kaneda
Thanks for the link, DataDan; that was quite sobering.
I know the cop had mentioned that this guy was hitting his apexes, etc.,... so was he constantly crossing over to the opposing lane?
Glendora Ridge Road is unstriped and about 1.5 lanes wide with many blind turns. Position yourself assuming that an oncoming vehicle is approaching around the next turn.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 10:19 AM

I rode ACH for the first time about two months ago and had a blast! Regretfully I haven't had a chance to return since then, but I will soon.

Last year I rode Ortega for the first time and was very unimpressed. There was too much traffic (slow cagers) and I saw several motorcops while riding in one direction alone (Oceanside to Lake Elsinore). I was so unimpresed with Ortega that I took the freeway home which took longer than if I had taken Ortega. Needless to say, I have no plans for returning to Ortega any time soon.

Mt. Palomar sounds like its worth a try...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode