Rt 619 in Northern VA - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Rt 619 in Northern VA

Anyone one from NOVA will appreciate this as new info or already knows. A dealer at the local bikeshop put me on to this route. It is an unbelievable 2 lane road (1 each way) with curves,sweepers, hills, etc for miles. Very enjoyable. Rt 619 runs north/south and basically connects rt I-95 with I-66 near Gainesville. The real curvy part is closer to I-95.

A note of caution, you will see many other riders on this road. In my case, they were extremely friendly, but much more experienced and much better riders. If you are a novice like me, make sure you don't try to keep up with those guys. In my case, this route was extremely fun, but at the same time did remind me that I am just that, a novice.
I know all this goes without saying but I just want everyone to be safe and have some fun out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 06:00 AM

I travelled this road on Sunday. I don't see what is so special. It is scenic and pretty and has some gentle curves and a few hills. But it certainly does not rate "twisty" status. You'd have to be travelling at a real stupid rate of knots before any of the curves will become challenging or interesting.

For those of you in N. Virginia Rt. 211 really is the closest place for real twisties that I have found so far. Or you can do what I did Sunday and head over the mountain on Rt. 250 and come back east again on Rt. 33. Now those are some twisties!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

It was fun for me. I guess I can see where more experienced riders wouldn't be too impressed. That was the first time I was on it and was able to go a lot faster. I went again this weekend and it wasn't as much fun with all the cages in front of me this time. I'd still recommend it as something to try.

Can you tell me how to get over to Rt. 211 and some of the roads you talked about from I-66?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 08:17 AM

I did not mean to be harsh. I reread your original post and saw you were approaching the road as a newbie. That explains things.

I've never ridden 66 out to the 211 area and don't have a map in front of me so I'll just give you my "scenic route" directions:

50 West to Middleburg. Turn left (south) on 626, which will dead end in The Plains and Rt. 55. Turn right (west) and ride a few miles to Marshall. After rolling through town turn left and cross over 66 (!) and turn right on 647. Follow 647 several miles, crossing over 688, until you dead end at 522. Turn left, go a couple miles until you dead-end at 211. Turn right (west) and the twisties will appear about 15 miles up the road. There's a Mobil station on the right about 5 miles before the twisties where you can tank up if you need to.

I'm sure there is an easier, more direct route but I've never tried and don't know which area roads connect to 66.

Be careful.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 08:43 AM

man I was following your directions on mapquest, thinking "yep this is the scenic way "

I used to live in NOVA, so here's the direct directions. Not sure where you're coming from, but 66 to exit #27. Turn left at the bottom of the offramp. Turn right onto Crest Hill Road (647)
then follow the directions the same. (Blue Line)

Or exit route 29 at Exit #43 from I-66 and head Southwest...Follow signs to Route 211...continue west...you'll run right into it! (Red Line)

Will
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 08:44 AM

and a shot of the twisties.

Will
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:32 AM

Thanks, RedNinja. I knew there was a way!

kash2776--

Rt. 33 and Rt. 250 are considerably farther away than 211, 250 especially. There are any number of ways to get to each though, including I-81, Skyline Drive, Rt. 340, etc. Just check out a map--they're both major East/West routes across the mountain. A trip to 250 and back to NOVA is about 400 miles and will take most of a day. It's well worth it though. Just watch out for deer, State Troopers (I got nicked yesterday), and unmarked decreasing radius, off-camber turns.

Ride well and have fun!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys- I appreciate the directions. I'll definitely be checking those routes out soon. Having spent 6 months with my bike in Houston, any roads in NOVA are an improvement! Have you guys checked out dccycles.com for their routes or have done any of them? (i know it might be tough for you RedNinja considering you are in AZ now ) Some of them seem pretty interesting.

I know what you mean about the troopers. I've been seeing a lot lately. My buddy and I got nabbed on Saturday on I-66. Now gotta make a court appearance. We were not going noticably faster than the rest of traffic. I just think we were singled out as an opportunity to get "two for one". I guess sh*t happens.

Anyway happy riding!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 08:12 AM

Question

What about skyline drive it looks pretty twisty too?
Ya....Nay

Last edited by MotoRider; 02-23-2003 at 08:21 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 10:22 AM

Skyline Drive is nice, but the Park Police are real tough. I got pulled over because "I sounded like I was going real fast." I have the stock can on my bike, so I know it wasn't loud. Well, needless to say, I went off on the schmuck. I happen to be a LEO in VA, so I wasn't impressed with his Park Ranger status. The speed limit on Skyline Drive is 35 all the way. I wasn't speeding, but running a little hot in the twistier curves. I told him that I was embarassed to be in the same business as he, and didn't think he was helping our image amongst the citizens. Guys and gals, all I can do is apologise for idiots like that and hope that if you do come in contact with a LEO in VA, that it is some one like me. If you do ride Skyline Drive, don't go on the weekend, too many cagers and the "Park Boys" are out in force. I find Rt. 211 to be the better road and the Blue Ridge Parkway is a much better ride than Skyline Drive. The BRP is 45 MPH and has very little police patrol. I wouldn't ride there on the weekend though.
Be safe boys and girls!

Shut your pie-hole and ride!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode