Riding After Seca, California - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Riding After Seca, California

Does anyone out there have experience riding in the Mt. Diablo area and riding to the Lick Observatory (yes the name is lick for you sickos out there)?? This area is just outside the San Jose city limits. My brother and I, along with some friends, plan on riding out there after the Laguna Seca AMA in mid July. We haven't ridden out there, but from the URLs listed below the riding looks pretty good.

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/LickObservatory.htm

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/MtDiablo.htm

Any input, good or bad things to watch out for, gas stops, motels, and resturants. Anyone who is interested maybe we could meet somewhere and you could show us where to go!

We will be riding from San Diego north county. We will be putting in some serious riding time from July 11th to July 17th.

CorrerdorF4i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 05:52 PM

The ride up Mt. Hamilton to the observatory and down the backside to Livermore via Mines Road is excellent. The road is narrow and often dirty, but very twisty and an absolute hoot to ride. Total distance is well over 70 miles, and the only stops are at the observatory (rest rooms, Coke machine, fabulous view in good weather) and the Junction, where Mines intersects Del Puerto Canyon, which leads out to I5. No gas is available anywhere en route, so fill up in San Jose.

Mt. Diablo is OK, but it's inside a state park and will cost you $5 to get in. Oddly, I rode it only a few times when I lived 5 miles from the northern park entrance.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Any takers

Thanks DataDan! Sounds like we might avoid the Devil Mountain.

Good info. Again, anyone interested in hooking up for some good riding throughout the Seca Quest let me know.

Riding dates are July 11th through July 16th, from San Diego to Monterey to Lick Observatory (near San Jose) and back down to SD.

CorrerdorF4i

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 02:12 AM

Mt Hamilton

twisty ass road,ALOT of 20-30 mph switchbacks,the road.should be fun on a 600. kinda tight(NO straights)You are in for a ride if you do hamilton,back and forth, back and forth.try hwy 25 south of Hollister, fast very fast willtake you to King city, state rd G-13. or stay on 25 will go all the way to Coalinga.On a clear day the view from Hamilton is spectactular.
MT Diablo is a park so the rangers are everywhere.(I got A Effing ticket for parking offroad,on a bike!)But the view on a good day is even better than MT.Hamilton.You can see the Whole bay area to way across the sierras.Very Impressive,gotta have the right weather though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode