Frame swapped FZR600 (help) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Frame swapped FZR600 (help)

Hello guys, I am new to forums as well as a new rider. I picked up a 91 FZR600 in July for $400 running and driving. I never rode a real bike my only experience was riding a 50cc tao tao (needless to say I spent the entire night learning how to ride it properly and got it down packed but the catch was no title... guy had a lien on it (wasn't stolen i vin checked it) and after he got the lien removed he wanted to buy his bike back (told him f*** no) since the first night of owning it it died out on me and left me stranded and had to push it a mile and a half home (Pr**k sold me a bike with a bad stator and battery since when I got home I volt tested it and got only half a volt) later on I bought a brand spanking new battery,filled the acid, charged it up and installed took a few cranks but fired up, waited and this time I didn't leave my neighborhood and after 20mins what do you know died out again and took my brand new batterys voltage to 2. After another day of charging I put the battery back in and this fired up with no hesitation but now instead of losing charge my battery was somehow overcharging(bad r/r) like 17-18 volts at idle and 19 almost when I revved it up. So I shut it off and waited but still overcharging. Like the dummy I am I still rode the sh*t out of it for a few hours and rode it around for a week straight til I got a new VR. But here is where stuff got weird at first it was undercharging then dying and now it's overcharging but when I switched the VR to a new one back to the same old problem died out after 20 mins of installing and riding so a quick question (is out possible for a stator to have weak spin, but then a VR failure will compensate for the weak spin of the stator?? Since this is what happened to me. Anyone have a problem like that.?) But after swapping Stator another week later I'm back in action!!! Riding the bike for another week til the inevitable finally came..... the porkys pulled me over when I got off work and was doing a couple street pulls neighbors called cops on me lol (I had all my tail farings off since I was working on it and I told the officer I was rebuilding it as a salvage title and my reason for speeding was because I put a new fuel pump, since I was having no acceleration before install so I was testing my new one(lie) and I had no plate, no motorcycle permit/license of any sort nor any papers to prove I even owned the bike and the officer just let me ride off into the sunset (I dodged a bullet with that one) so I stopped riding for about 2 weeks til I wanted to try it again and test my luck lol but after starting up and taking off something was really off. I couldn't accelerate past 5k with the exception of pulling back in the clutch and dumping it but even then it still went no where quick (my first thought was clogged carbs)( I already now cleaned and rebuilt each carb with an ebay kit with new gaskets, jets, washers, emulsion tubes and etc I'm sure my problem was clogged carbs because each float bowl I popped open just piles and piles of rust dust spilled out) but after stalling and not being able start I pushed it back like half a block and was officially done. I went on Craigslist to see what my bike was going for and I found a guy selling straight frames with clean titles for $100 and it was my exact body style (I had 91 but frame was 92 still the exact same) so after picking it up i was now tasking myself with the project of a life time and with winter approaching I stripped the entire bike down all the way to the engine,moved every piece into my basement, rebuilt all back together, (while replacing new parts along the way) took it back apart and moved every piece back outside last month and now put it all back outside to my porch and it is now back together about 90% complete but what my problem is I seem to have no power what so ever to the bike confident I read the entire wiring diagram right but nothing when I turn a key but there was only 1 connector that wasn't plugged that I remember breaking in my basement putting back together and that was the ground/earth cable. So I have absolutely no grounds what so ever and I'm not sure how to ground it out (im gonna order the earth cable connector with 2 negative terminals and my cousin has a couple of grounds but I just don't know how to set it up right or if that even is my problem. What do you guys think?? Or if anyone knows how to ground a bike out (so very sorry for the extremely long post had to introduce myself and felt it was nessacery to explain all my problems from the beginning of my journey as a new rider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode