Another rider falls off ramp (but lives) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Another rider falls off ramp (but lives)

I pulled this off WPXI after my wife mentioned it. Hopefully it's not of the BP regulars. Hope the guy is OK...
==========================

Motorcyclist Falls 200 Feet Off Veterans Bridge
Victim Listed In Critical Condition
Vince Sims

POSTED: 5:12 pm EDT June 6, 2005
UPDATED: 5:37 pm EDT June 6, 2005

PITTSBURGH, Pa. -- A 19-year-old driver is lucky to be alive Monday after he lost control of his motorcycle on the I-579 ramp on the Veterans Bridge and fell 200 feet onto Route 28 below.

The driver apparently has two broken legs among other injuries.

The accident jammed traffic on route 28 approaching the 31st Street Bridge.

The off-ramp on Route 28 remains closed.

The Veteran's Bridge ramp near the Heinz Plant has been the scene of several other crashes, including one involving a motorcycle in May.

Pittsburgh RAT Pack
www.pghratpack.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:08 AM

you would think after the first person fell off the bridge that they would fix the problem so it wouldnt happen again. but no that would make to much sense.

yes thats my daytona,no you cant ride it.

I an"t ridin it unless it has wheels or a skirt.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Dad

I heard he died later on.

Totally inexcusable. I can't believe that a lawyer hasn't grabbed this one and run with it. I'm aware of this from early 1980's. They're doing four or five a year. A catch fence on the bends is all it would take, ten foot at the most. I'm sure it occurs on many more bridges with curves on them.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 11:32 AM

you know what else would work. if they knew how to ride and paid atenation to were they are going.

yes thats my daytona,no you cant ride it.

I an"t ridin it unless it has wheels or a skirt.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KLRBE
you know what else would work. if they knew how to ride and paid atenation to were they are going.
Dang you are harsh today redbeard.

badges? We don't need no stinking badges.
Twist and shout!
Loud Clutches save lives
The older I get the faster I was
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 01:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to mmmbarley Send a message via Yahoo to mmmbarley
Veterans Bridge ramps get new speed warnings
Tuesday, June 07, 2005

By Lillian Thomas, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Crews were out today installing a speed minder and refreshing pavement markings on a ramp that has been the scene of two recent motorcycle accidents that sent riders over the Veterans Bridge barricade and onto the pavement of Route 28 below.

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation is trying to increase the visibility of warnings about the 30 mph speed limit while it studies a long-term solution to the accident-prone ramps, said Todd Kravits, District 11 traffic engineer. Today, a speed minder (an electronic device that posts the speed limit and flashes the speed of each passing motorist)was installed on the outbound ramp. Tomorrow, another will be installed on the inbound (Route 28 to Veterans Bridge) ramp, Kravits said.

A Shaler man who was thrown more than 120 feet from the Veterans Bridge in a motorcycle accident yesterday afternoon was listed in critical condition at Allegheny General Hospital. Mark Purcell, 19, suffered two broken legs and head injuries.

Pittsburgh police Sgt. Joseph Gannon said the motorcycle was traveling northbound on the bridge shortly after 4 p.m. when the operator struck a lamp post and was thrown over a barricade, landing on Route 28.

Last month, Edward Campbell, 26, of Penn Hills, was killed when he lost control on the climbing, curving ramp that leads from southbound Route 28 to the Veterans Bridge.

Police said Campbell's motorcycle hit the barrier along the ramp deck and Campbell flew off the bike and over the edge of the roadway, hitting a railroad bridge support before landing on the concrete barrier beside General Robinson Street.

In 2000, Edward Short, 35, of Greenfield, died when he lost control of his motorcycle on the ramp from southbound Route 28. Police said he was thrown off the bike and fell 100 feet to the pavement on East Ohio Street.

Kravits said there have been a half dozen motorcycle accidents on the ramps since the section opened in 1989. Traffic reconstruction reports are not available for the latest two accidents, but on all the others, Kravits said, the motorcycles were reported to have been traveling over the speed limit, at "high rates of speed."

PennDOT does not plan to rebuild the ramps, he said, because a 30 mph speed limit is appropriate for a ramp of that type. However, he said, engineers are studying ways to make it safer. In addition to more warnings to drivers, there could be modifications in the barriers and other changes, he said.

In the meantime, all the pavement markings, curve warnings, and reflectors will be "refreshed," he said.

Complicity? Simplexity? Its simply too complicated for me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Dad

Study bullshit. They know what it takes.... and if they don't, get someone who does. Just do it. Could be done in a month. Meanwhile, they've had the problem for twenty years.

And I don't care HOW fast they were going or how much they had to drink. You get fines or jail time for those things, not the death penalty.

Oh, and always wear your helmet.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

Last edited by Dad; 06-07-2005 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode