Newbie interested in buying a sportbike--advice need B-) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to SilverBlue82
Newbie interested in buying a sportbike--advice need B-)

I've been thinking about getting a sport bike recently, and could your use
opinions about owning a motorcycle in general.

I suppose owning a motorcycle isn't the most "practical" thing in the world, at least in terms of storage capacity. But I can't resist. While it may put me at a disadvantage for driving a bunch of friends around, I do plan to move to NYC in a year or so and wouldn't exactly need a car (i.e. parking would be a definite bitch, not too mention the traffic). something smaller, quicker and more fuel efficient would help. I could always attach panniers to a bike, couldn't I?

my other worries include the rumors you hear about people talking about motorcycles as though you'll die the moment you hop on one. I know they're incredibly powerful (and fun!) machines that must be respected, but I don't exactly plan on busting out wheelies and sport bike tricks. Sport touring
would be fun though, but, of course, gotta work on handling skills before really trying out a bike. also, bikes are a thousand times more responsive than cars, which means you could potentially get yourself out of bad situations/potential accidents easier than a clunky car, or am I wrong about this?

another concern is that of course we don't have the beautiful weather of california. Is it worth it to own a sportbike in pittsburgh? I also want to be able to use the bike to go to work. do any of you guys use your bike as your primary means of transportation? if so, lemme know how it works for you for getting to school/work/where you need/want to go.
I know it'd be less 'pleasant' to ride in the winter, although you can buy goretex suits, right?
my other interest in getting a sport bike is, of course, speed B-)
--within limits though. my road bike is a ton of fun, but can't compare to the speed/ versatility of a sport/super bike.

I've read some reviews and talked to some friends of mine (who used to ride sportbikes) about starting out with a 600cc bike. I've read that some say they're too powerful, while others disagree. While I haven't ridden a motorcycle before (I have ridden on them, for fun, and for photographing pro cycing races like the Tour de Toona), I do have a plenty of experience racing my road bike around corners, through the pouring rain and all over washington, pa and into WV too. My handling skills are pretty good on my road bike, which doesn't exactly have as much tread touching the pavement as a sportbike. will this experience help me at all or put at an advantage starting out on a sportbike?
I've crashed in the past as well, and know how to fall (although it's the last thing i'd want to happen). i've even crashed going 35 down banksville rd on my road bike--stupid truck pulled out in front of us, forcing me to clip my bro's wheel. i smacked my head (cracked my helmet) and, surprisingly, flipped over and landed on my feet w/o really a rip in my jersey... not that this compares to crashing on a sportbike, but that, well, road rash isn't entirely foreign to me.
anyway, i'm very interested in buying a 2004 R6. would you guys say this is a bad choice? should I buy a car instead as my primary means of transportation, or should I buy something beautiful than can really go VROOOOM! ??

let me know what you think.

thanks,

~James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 05:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to ohsoquik02
i didnt read yoru whole post but what caught my eye is you want to get a new Rsix. i wouldnt do it for the first bike. youll be very sad when you total the bike out by pratically doing nothing at all. i woudl get a older bike and learn on that before stepping up to the newest shit out there

"growing up i was told i could be anything, so i became a
asshole
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 06:48 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
If you're looking for practical, a motorcycle is not really what you want. I would also probably not recommend the brand new R6 you're looking at, for a couple of reasons. While I don't think starting on a 600 is bad in all cases, I do think starting on a brand spanking new one is. Mostly because the statistics are against you in that as a new rider you will probably drop the bike while learning. Goodbye shiny new plastics. Also, if you are moving to NYC, a brand new R6 would make an excellent target to be stolen.

It's been my experience that the people who tell you that you will die for simply looking at a bike pretty much don't know anything about them. Their knowledge of bikes amounts to being able to correctly point at and identify one 8 or 9 times out of 10. Politely thank them for their opinion, and proceed to think for yourself.

As far as it being worth it, well that's something you have to decide for yourself. How much enjoyment does it bring vs. how much it costs and how much you get to use it. Answer that and you'll know. Many people in your area find it well worth it, and in spite of the shorter riding season they still pull upwards of 10,000 to 20,000 miles a year. Location is not always the deciding factor, I knew people in California with 5 year old bikes with less than 500 miles on them....not even made it to the dealers suggested break-in mileage yet. If you decide to ride in the winter, which I personally would suggest against, realize that it's more than just getting a warmer suit. Road conditions can make a nice winter ride go horribly wrong in a hurry. Also you will spend a lot of time cleaning your bike from all of the road grime and salt kicked up in winter. I personally don't even ride in rain if I don't have to.

Your road bike experience may help a little in that you understand the concept of countersteering, balance at slow speed (though the weight difference doesn't allow for much of a comparison), and you have a healthy respect for dumping a bike at speed. That being said, you will still have a mountain of learning to tackle.

I would recommend buying a car as the primary transportation, with the bike coming when you have the money for it. I used my bike as my primary tranportation when the weather allowed, but always had my car to fall back on. In the event that one or the other had to go it'd be bye-bye to the bike.

Before you do anything, sign up for and take the MSF course. Hope this helped a little bit.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 05:07 AM

Do not get a bike!!! If you need transportation and it is going to be the only transportation you have....forget it.

KNEE DOWN FINGER UP!!!!

That will buff out!!

Women are like parking spaces.....you get in...you get out....and you leave it behind you!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to SilverBlue82
hmmm...

well, in NYC, technically, you can get along quite fine w/o a car or bike. nonetheless, I think having a bike for fun--and to use as transportation when I need it (and when the weather's permitting)--would be nice.

to the people that recommended against buying a new bike for the following reasons:

1) i'll probably lay it down/drop w/o really doing anything at all, and waste a ton of $ buying new plastics,

2) it'd probably get stolen very easily.

for the first point, wouldn't bar & frame sliders essentially eliminate the risk of damaging the frame by dropping the bike or laying it down as the result of simple mistakes? I've read a number of posts about people sliding their bikes at 45mph + and note really accruing any significant damage.

for the second point, they do make bike alarm/anti-theft devices, of course. they seem pretty effective to me. for instance, I could purchase a disc brake lock, armored-link cable locks, a helmet lock (http://motorcyclecity.com/Parts/security.htm) and paging alarm system/ or one that prevents the bike from starting up at all (http://www.motorcyclealarm.net/), or just buy a GPS tracking system for it (http://www.cycletrak.com/) ??

still think i shouldn't get a new bike?

thanks for your input; i appreciate it.

~James
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 07:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to mmmbarley Send a message via Yahoo to mmmbarley
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverBlue82

for the first point, wouldn't bar & frame sliders essentially eliminate the risk of damaging the frame by dropping the bike or laying it down as the result of simple mistakes? I've read a number of posts about people sliding their bikes at 45mph + and note really accruing any significant damage.

not always.

Complicity? Simplexity? Its simply too complicated for me.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 08:04 AM

yea pat is good example frame sliders dont save the bike when it hits the guard rail. they only save the motor and frame. if htey are longer enought they might save the plastics from getting fucked up but they wil lstill have scratches.

asshole

Last edited by ohsoquik02; 06-18-2004 at 08:45 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 08:10 AM

My frame was toast. It was bent as a motherfkr.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 08:46 AM

few scratches and a dent i wouldnt call that toast but the insurance company will totall anything with a mark on the frame

asshole
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 09:01 AM

well if you want it the auto salvage in Mount morris(last exit before WV on 79S) has it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode