attn: PA riders - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

attn: PA riders

Sorry if you've seen this, but I thought you might be interested in seeing it...got it from another list.

Hello All,

I thought the list might be interested in 3 stories in the Philly papers
over the last three days. Apparently, the PSP were knowingly using
defective RADAR units to issue speeding tickets since 1999. When the
PSP's own troopers and engineers complained, they were transferred and
trashed in the media. The state RADAR inspection stations also agree that
the units were faulty. A local attorney found out about it and had a few
tickets thrown out after the PSPs radar tech was called as a witness. Big
cover up, big investigation, sad state of affairs. Don't have internet
here at work to provide links, but if you go to www.philly.com and do a
search for police radar, it comes right up. Also, the PSP's home page
addresses this story (with a few big whoppers lies). I know one of the
engineers involved (my dad), and I was a RADAR guy in the Navy, when I
read the article, I was absolutely shocked. An attorney in Philadelphia
is starting a class action lawsuit due to $26 million in tickets issued
with faulty radar guns. As a state civil servant, my dad could not
respond to the reporter when questioned (or would be fired for cause). I
can tell you that a federal whistleblower lawsuit has been filed and my
pop's lawyer is very confident. Anybody issued a radar speeding ticket
using a Genesis radar gun may be able to get their cash back.

My dad was the biggest supporter of the PSP and their integrity before
this happened. He still loves the troopers, but thinks that management
are criminals. He could not be more upset.

John "Lurch" Shingara
Harrisburg, PA
IBA, COG, KofC, NRA, IIA, AICPA, etc.....

Silly squid...specs are for kids!

I prefer 4 strokes over 2 strokes...you get 2 extra strokes!!!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds -Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:10 AM

I read this the other day as well.

There is a lot more going on behind the scenes than the article really points out.

First off, you have to realize the PA State Police are the only law enforcement agency in the state that are permitted to use radar as a method of ascertaining vehicle speed for enforcement purposes. Take into consideration how long ago that this was brought to the attention of the PSP management, and what was done about it. I have faith that the PSP, as an agency, would not go out and use equipment that found to be totally inaccurate. They buy equipment with our tax dollars... They could always go buy some other type of equipment that would work with 100% accuracy.

You don't really hear about many motorcyclist being cited for speeding violations by the PSP, not on this side of the state anyway. The majority of citations that I seem to hear about come from local municipal departments and the majority of them use VASCAR or ESP. Come to think about it the majority of citations that I hear about are not for speeding, but rather for reckless driving (aka stunting.)

Just my
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:34 AM

Nah, was a state boy who got me for speeding last year. I wonder what kind of gun he used. It was at an angle and I was on a bike.Hmmmmmmmm, maybe see if I can get my 134 bucks back!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tea Bagger
Nah, was a state boy who got me for speeding last year. I wonder what kind of gun he used. It was at an angle and I was on a bike.Hmmmmmmmm, maybe see if I can get my 134 bucks back!
Give it some time, I am sure there will be some dirtbag laywer trying to get everyone on the bandwagon of a good lawsuit...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by o|||||||o
Give it some time, I am sure there will be some dirtbag laywer trying to get everyone on the bandwagon of a good lawsuit...

GOOD! If they were writing tickets for something some one didn't do I hope they do pay out. I will jump on the band wagon. I was guilty and was even slowing down when he clocked me. It is a game, I lost but if I can get a technocality on the play, I'll take it.

Vascar is more inaccurate and prone to user error. I fight every vascar ticket I get. I want proof of the last time the officer was tested and if it has been longer then a year, butta bing!

Local county mounties act 120 cops who fund thier dept. with traffic violations had better be up to snuff when dealing with me. I'm in court for for work related subpoenas all the time, one more court appearrence is nothing to me. I go to court even if I'm guilty. I at least know that I get to waste some of my money I paid in fines by takeing time out of the judge, cop and clerk busy work day. Hahahahahaha.

I'm an asshole.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 11:41 AM

You pay a 40 dollar court cost on a Pa. ticket anyway, so I use it. One of these times when I'm asked my side of the story I'm just going to say I'm guilty has hell and just wanted to use my court date option since I paid for it. Hahahahaha, that will piss some poeple off.

If we all would flood the courts with traffic ticket appearences, it would make the poo-poo think twice about writing lil bullshit tickets. Atleast if they ever wanted another day off.

Last edited by Tea Bagger; 03-11-2004 at 11:46 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 12:19 PM

See bagger, you got it all wrong...

The police officer gets paid to go to court. Depending on the department, he gets paid quite well. Even counting your court cost and the actual amount of money that the municipality gets back on the ticket they lose money every time you fight one. It cost the department more to send the officer to court than they are making on the ticket.

Yes, it supplements the communities budget at the end of the year when they receive the lump-sum check from PA, but over all they are losing money on the deal. The officer on the other hand is probably making out. The officer is likely getting overtime to go to court and have an easy day of waiting / lounging and socializing. On top of that, most departments have a court time clause in the contracts. Some pay the officers a 2-hour minimum of overtime, some pay a 4-hours... And court lasts what? An hour if that.

Every time you fight that ticket the department / municipality is losing money and the officer is making out...

Got to love our system.

That is why you see a lot of the poorer communities crack down on traffic. They don't pay the police officer squat and the officer has to make arrests / write citations to make any real money.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 12:39 PM

I feel even better now. Screwing the local government more. My one buddy who is a local yocal bitches about going to court. Small dept. so he may not be making much money to go.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Dad

That is an interesting article. I can't vouch for the validity but am aware from my own experiences with instruments and electronics that "electrical noise" is a very real problem in the right circumstances, often weird and difficult to trace to a source. That story would be interesting to follow. I'd love to hear the troopers' version.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tea Bagger
I feel even better now. Screwing the local government more. My one buddy who is a local yocal bitches about going to court. Small dept. so he may not be making much money to go.
Might be the magistrate in the area. That is the normal gripe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode