My Sportbike Track Gear R6 Race Bike Build - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

My Sportbike Track Gear R6 Race Bike Build

Here is the R6 as it started, bone stock, and it is being built from the ground up into a WERA/AMA SS spec race bike.

The bike is being built at WitchKraft Motorsports by the same people who build the bikes for Eddie Kraft/WitchKraft Racing. I haven't actually seen the bike in person yet. I likely won't see it until the final touches are being put on. I will go up there when the clip-ons/levers/rearsets etc are being installed so the bike can be ergonomically setup for me. They will also set the sag at that point.

It will be completely torn down to the frame, swingarm removed, all bearings changed and re-greased, all wires will be removed and re-routed to shorten them as possible and to tuck them behind the frame make them less likely to be damaged in a crash.

Then it will be re-built, one piece at a time with the primary focuses being reduced weight and proper balance.

The Motor is being built my Jamie Hanshaw (same person who built Brian Van's STG Race bike and the bikes for the STG/WitchKraft Racing Team).

Suspension will be Ohlins.

The Kit ECU and Harness will be from Graves, as will the Works Full Titanium Exhaust.

The wheels powder coated Black.

The Rear Shock will be made "quick change". The rear brake caliper will be made captive (as will the wheels spacers) for easier and quicker tire changes.

The bodywork will be Armour Bodies, painted of course, in the STG Race Team Theme.

I will keep this thread updated with pictures and descriptions of the complete disassembly, re-assembly and parts used in the process.

Chris Broome
WERA Expert #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sportbike Track Time Southern Region Instructor
Sponsors =
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
- Michelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Here is how it sat as of Dec. 16th:

Bike was stripped and motor is headed to Hanshaw.

Got a long way to go in a little bit of time; the season opener is only 5 weeks away. The biggest holdup will probably be the YEC Kit ECU and Harness. There is a few month delay on YEC parts. They only accept orders at certain times and then there is a few month delay/waiting period before they will be delivered.

Chris Broome
WERA Expert #16

Sponsors =
-
-
- Michelin
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Just a quick/small update:

Parts have started to roll in...

- Ohlins 30mm kit for the forks

- Just-released Ohlins TTX MKII Rear shock

- Spiegler SS Brake Lines

- SBS Dual Carbon Pads

- Stompgrip

- CRG Levers

The engine build should be completed this week. The Armour Bodies bodywork is being painted in Sportbike Track Gear theme, of course .

The biggest holdups are the YEC Kit Parts (ECU and Harness) which aren't scheduled to arrive until the first week of March. So WitchKraft Motorsports will be hustling to get the parts installed, then get the bike dyno'd/mapped (for U4.4 and MR12) in time for me to make the WERA National/Sportsman round at Roebling Road March 17th-18.

Then from there im heading to the Jason DiSalvo Speed Academy (www.disalvospeedacademy.com) for the stand-alone school at Talladega on the last weekend of March.

March is going to be a busy month

Chris Broome
WERA Expert #16

Sponsors =
-
-
- Michelin

Last edited by Chaotic; 02-15-2012 at 12:04 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Latest update, as of Feb. 15th:

Things are coming together, so I will be able to get more pictures and more updates now. The engine is back from Hanshaw and the Graves Full Ti WORKS Exhaust has shown up along with a few other parts.

The wheels are off being powder coated, rear rotor sent off to be machined/lightened and the injectors have sent off to be sync'ed.

Hopefully I will be able to post some re-assembly pictures before long.

Eddie Kraft sent me this last night, (they are building his bike along side mine) he said mine was actually cleaner than his.

Chris Broome
WERA Expert #16

Sponsors =
-
-
- Michelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode