Potential Rider (Pocket bike racing) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Potential Rider (Pocket bike racing)

Hey guys. First I'd like to introduce myself; my name is Theo I'm 18 and I currently reside in Stamford, CT. I attend the Stamford branch of UCONN, so I'm still living at home. In recent years I took an interest in motorcycle racing, but its been hard to really get out there and attend or participate in any such events since my parents are so anti-motorcycle. You shoulda seen my mom when I told her I was interested in getting a motorcycle, forget about it.

Anyways, I recently purchased a pocket bike for cheap. If anyone knows anything about these little things, its a Cagllari. Its the cheaper Chinese-made models but for 170 bucks its hard to turn down. After browsing around I found out that people race these things. Adults in full out race suits dragging knees through corners and everything. I found a racing league near me and now I'm planning on attending these. Theyre fairly safe so I think I'll get away with this or I'll just tell my parents I'm going paintballing upstate with my friends or something.

I know alot of riders, including Rossi, have started out their riding careers in these little bad boys, so I was wondering if these will give me any basic foundation for full sized motorcycle racing. I eventually (probably in my 20's) want to get on the track with a full sized motorcycle so I was hoping these would help me ease into that path. I know the size difference is immense, but I've heard some riders say that instructors at their track day events recommended practicing on these little buggers getting comfortable with sliding knees and everything. Eventually I might start riding mid-bikes on the track. These are 110cc 4 stroke that are in between pocket bikes and real bikes in size (usually 2/3 of the real thing). And of course I want my first full sized bike to be a 250cc, and then if I get comfortable with that I might move up onto 500-600cc.

So does anyone here have expirience with pocket or mid-bike racing? I know its not that "cool" but it seems pretty fun and a good way to get started. To tell you the truth I'm not to crazy about riding a bike on the street too much, so I'm wondering if I could make such a progression without having much expirience riding on the streets. What do you guys think? Oh, and my bad for making this so long but thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 02:37 PM

Personally, I can't see how pocket bike racing couldn't make you a better rider. I think it has got to help. The cornering concepts are pretty much the same no matter what size of bike. I suppose the big difference between pocket bikes and full sized bikes might be in throttle control. But anyway, I think it would be an EXCELLENT way to learn. When the time comes for the big bike, you'd probably be a much more skilled rider than the average newb.

By the way, I knew a kid who started out on a Yamaha YSR-50, which is pretty much the same concept as today's pocket bikes. He went on to become a professional road racer.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 05:45 PM

+1 on everything ZX said.

I'm hoping this'll be my kid one day...

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:40 AM

Also everything ZX said except for throttle being the only difference. Not only will throttle be different but so will handling and braking. On a pocket bike you out size and out weigh the bike, but on a real bike the bike is bigger and it out weighs the rider by double on average. You will learn how to corner from racing pocket bikes but pocket and full-size bikes have way different feels.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:06 PM

I don't see how it could hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode