Race Fairings? Help! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Race Fairings? Help!

Here is the deal:

My buddy had a minor mishap on my bike at our last track day, he broke, just about everything. I figure it would be cheaper to put race fairings on it than go back with factory pieces.
My options are
Sharkskinz: I've hear they are the best, but $1002 for a whole set

Cheetah: I seem to remember hearing some luke warm reviews, but cant find anythign concrete, and its $700 for a set

This stuff from ebay I dont know who makes it, of what quality it is, but it sure is cheap!

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:25 AM
Strength and Honor

That last one is a dead link so perhaps its not such a good idea! Here's one result of a search on track bodywork for my 636, but there's a separate forum for your bike as well. Looked there already? I recall a good thread describing each manu separately but can't find it now; I'll post it if I run across it again.

More: Linky

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

Last edited by kanwisch; 09-11-2007 at 07:31 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:34 AM

Vash, you might want to check some motorcycle salvage yards. They usually have a lot of bodywork for sale. (ex: bike crashes on the left side, they have a perfect set of bodywork for the right side, and visa versa.) Cost for used factory bodywork is typically 50% of new.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

cant get the link to work, search "04 05 KAWASAKI ZX10 ZX10R RACE BODYWORK FAIRINGS" in ebay and it will come up like 4 times.

With the state of the bike as it is, there are very few plastics that arent broken. Perhaps I can find a small piece on the tail somewhere if I look hard enough. The thing about this particular bike is that the body work mounts to the headlight, which mounts to the frame (via a ram air tube). The headlight mount is broken, so I will need a new headlight to use factory plastics. Headlights are stupidly expansive, which is why I decided to go with a racing fairing.

Edit: link...

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar7R Send a message via Yahoo to Kevlar7R
Vash,

I have Hotbodies Racing bodywork on my bike, and I am VERY happy with it. It was considerably less expensive than Sharkskinz. They are only $650 a set.

www.hotbodiesracing.com
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

kanwisch:

Thanks for all the links, the headlight fab link was particulalry helpful.

Kevlar: I was just looking at hotbodies (I guess they make better body work than exhausts) what particulalry appealing is that it can use the stock lowers, which I believe are still salvagable. Any thoughts on mounting some sort of headlight in the fairing?

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:24 AM

What happened

Jeez Vash, how hard did your buddy throw your bike down the track?!

BTW, you're a pretty good friend to let a buddy race your bike. There's not very many people I would trust enough to race my bike.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Strength and Honor

I gotta post that the various links I read about race plastics placed the Hotbodies stuff as tenuous in quality and fit. Fit was particularly a large complaint among many, including at least one thread discussing how a guy had to mod his cowl so his forks wouldn't keep hitting it. On the flip side, there are posts in those threads saying, "It fit great for me" so it seems a crap shoot. Be sure to look around at others' 10R experience with HB

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar7R Send a message via Yahoo to Kevlar7R
Well, you get what you pay for. If fit of Hotbodies is the only complaint, I can do a fiar amount of modifications for the $400 price difference from SharkSkinz.

I have had a great experience with my Hotbodies. Fits great, extremely flexible.

Vash, if your bike is as crashed as mine was when I put the race bodywork on, you'll be straightening and modifying your mounting brackets the whole time anyway, so the fit isn't that big of an issue for you.

As far as mounting a headlight, I have used a pair of projector beam fog/driving lights on my bike ($25 from Walmart). I have mine simply hanging below the front edge of the upper fairing. If I brake hard, they hit the fender, but I rarely ride on the street.

Many other people have cut small holes, and mounted the driving lights inside the fairing, so that they shine through the holes. Looks good when done well.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

structurally speaking, the bike is in pretty good shape. broken rearset/shifter, one tore up motor mount. From a cosmetic standpoint, the damage is catastrophic. Broke just about everything plastic, dented the tank, mangled the various bracketry. I was contemplating ordering new brackets while I was ordering everything else.

So far, I'm leaning toward hotbodies, but with the possible for problems, I'm not sure if I should try to save the stock lowers (unlike uppers they are made out of this super flexible stuff that is almost indestructable), or just go ahead and get theirs. I'm trying to save my friend some money, but we got 5 weeks before the next trackday

zx: first and foremost, its a really good friend. On top of that we've had the agreement that he is financially responcible for any major damage, so all I'm really loosing here is riding time. On the flip side, I get to split the expences of trackdays, which means I get to do more of them, and I get to bs about it with a friend instead of going alone. Worth it, in my opinion. Now I just gotta teach him to stay on the pavement.

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode