CSS at Mid-Ohio - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Thumbs up CSS at Mid-Ohio

Notice: This is long, sorry

For a few years I've read about the advantages of getting onto the track but never managed to have a bike that was appropriate until recently. With all that reading, it seemed obvious that the right place to start was with one of the premier schools so I chose California Superbike School. Encouragement from a friend who's a long-time track rider and corner worker for CSS suggested Mid-Ohio since he expected to be there. So I took the Level 1 training on 8/6, along with a co-worker who's been to NESBA's trial track day.

Now I understand why its called an addiction. Why people say its the most fun you can have with your clothes on While those seemed like cheap, surface statements I accept them as a fact now. Even today I was riding in and Turn 7 (my nemesis) entered my mind and drew a huge grin

So, here's a brief about CSS's way of doing things. Food is provided, water (and coffee) is provided, salt and potassium pills are provided, discounted Dunlop Qualifiers are available, and lunch is provided. Keith and Dylan (his son) Code deliver your classroom material pretty concisely with examples from on and off the track. You take that lesson, then, out to a session where that is the main point of focus. Your coach follows you and has you follow him/her, allowing you to clearly see and apply the classroom concept.

Last, you come in from your session and your coach quizzes you on how it went with the lesson and why. Your coach will also add to your next session ( ) some areas where you can work on control, speed, or whatever in the next session (along with your focused classroom lesson). I had James Toohey who was good at asking questions that drew out whether I knew what the hell was going on or not and challenged some of my statements or experiences. My co-worker had the same coach enabling us to hear the coach's one-on-one with them and leverage the feedback there as well.

As for the track itself, my favorite curves were the ones I found to be the most difficult. At the start of the day, turn 12 (the decreasing radius) was it simply because I couldn't figure out the right throttle position to get through it quick yet be setup for turn 13 By session 5 (yes, there were 5 lessons in all for Level 1) I had shifted to concentrating on Turns 6, 7, and 8, which should flow well from one to the other. The cause for the focus change was an incredibly lucky moment when I had entered 7 (a rise onto a hill while cutting pretty sharp left) too hot and had two choices: slow it down, stand it up and drive off or push it over further and give it more gas to get more clearance. I did that latter, which was wrong and I got lucky enough not to high side, though I felt the rear slipping as I ground the left peg on my bike down. Toohey gave me a few strong words about that after the session and said I was lucky he didn't pull me from the session for a quick verbal correction. For another session and a half I sweated those turns but took them easy and by session 5 was enjoying them immensely

After returning, I mailed the friend who'd been many times to Mid-Ohio and he indicated what he didn't like about the track: it doesn't flow well. He's right, too. I believe he referred to it as a series of bus stops, which seemed to fit with my overall view, even despite having no comparison. I hope to hit Putnam and Blackhawk next year for comparison.

Now as I ride on the street, I'm amazed how simple everything really has become. Focusing on turns at high speed vastly altered my perspective about public street turn difficulty.

It was amazing, I can't get it out of my head, and I want to do it every day.

One last note on the day. In the first session, about 5th lap, a guy on a 500 Ninja crashed in turn 7 (we believe) and was carted off in an ambulance for observation. The bike was driven back to the pits but the time delay put us off the track that night at about 6p. Thanks to CSS for still giving us our track time

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 03:26 PM

i have been debating on weather to finally go to a track day or not.. i went up to gingerman last wednesday to check it out.. pretty nice for 5 hrs. 20 min sessions alternating with cars..

cant beat that for 60 bux

04' Gsxr 1k

Show or go?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 04:57 AM

Nice write up Kanwisch! I was there Monday and Tuesday. I had to totally re-work my riding style. I had no idea! It was really a lot of awesome fun. I had Misti as a coach on Monday and James as a coach on Tuesday - he's fast!

Redline Superbike Member

Faye
CSBR / Fasttrax #121
CMA
CSBA

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

What group were you in on Monday? I saw your posting about Gingerman and I can't get it out of my head

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:57 AM

On Monday I was in the end group - yellow? Was that yellow? What about you?

Redline Superbike Member

Faye
CSBR / Fasttrax #121
CMA
CSBA
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by fastlaneduc
On Monday I was in the end group - yellow? Was that yellow? What about you?
Green, and that was the end group (it went White, Yellow, Green). And there was only, what, two ladies in that group? One was a Christian Sportbikes rider and the other wasn't. I'm (wildly) guessing you weren't the former, though if you were we had some kind words at the hotel the morning before as you were parked right next to us (very sweet trailer) and then a brief chat during the day. Otherwise, I remember you but we didn't actually converse. Regardless, good to kinda-meet-you

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 07:22 PM

She was the one right next to us at the hotel, I recognize the bike in the avatar pic. It's the one that kept passing us. What kind of trailer was that? It looked like it folded up which would be nice for me since I don't have much space.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rlucas
She was the one right next to us at the hotel, I recognize the bike in the avatar pic. It's the one that kept passing us. What kind of trailer was that? It looked like it folded up which would be nice for me since I don't have much space.
Thanks for the passing thing! Yeah - I'm the Christian Sportbike Rider, I remember the hotel! The trailer is a Kendon Stand Up. Once it's folded and tipped up (hitch straight up in the air) the widest part on it is the tire. You can roll the trlr (it has attached rollers ) into the front of your garage and easily park your car behind it. I can do it by myself although I'm not good at all at loading/unloading my motorcycle by myself.

When's your next trackday?

Redline Superbike Member

Faye
CSBR / Fasttrax #121
CMA
CSBA
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rlucas
Yeah the lady can ride, thats for sure.

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

"Hold my beer, watch this"

Redline Superbike Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode