Pre corner braking & body position. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Pre corner braking & body position.

Having some difficulty with hard braking corner entries.

My instructor tells me that under hard braking, I should squeeze the gas tank with my knees while moving my butt into position for the next corner. But, when I watch those MotoGP guys, they don't do this. They brake hard with their knee already out (not locked to the tank). When I try this, I am able to enter corners smoother b/c my knee is already out and my body is in position. But, the bike feels like it will throw me over b/c my weight is all the way to the front due to me not locking on to the tank (which keeps my weight to the back of the bike)

So, what is the correct braking method for tight turns?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 08:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jayfooey Send a message via Yahoo to Jayfooey
There are many methods...

the one that is right for you is what works for you... you'll have to
try them out and see what you feel comfortable with...

I try to get all my braking and down shifting before the turn, I was taught to get your body in position before the turn, you might try positioning yourself further back in the seat, adding stomp grip pads to your tank may help some...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 01:18 PM

Jay really has it on the money. Everything I have learned was to get your braking down before you start you turn in. Once you commit to the turn you should be on the throttle.

Tc
Mortgage Consultant

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 08:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
I'm working on this skill this year as well. Just before I hit my breaking marker I'll slide my butt off the seat and lock my outside leg to the tank by pressing my knee into it and pressing my outside leg onto the tank. I also make sure that my thigh is pressing against the tank to soak up the breaking forces.

As I hit my breaking marker I try to downshift, break, and blip all at the same time so I have a split second to compose myself before the entry point. Then its simply turning in and pointing my shoulder towards the apex.

Another thing you might want to look at is your suspension. Has it been set up properly. It may be that your front end rebound damping might be a little soft causing it to rise a little slowly giving you the uneasyness on turn in.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 03:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
Watching the GP guys on TV doesn't tell the full story. There are things to consider with those guys that doesn't apply to most of us. One of the big things is they are riding ~350lb bikes with the best brake systems money can buy. They have slipper clutches worth more than most of our cars and they are little bastards. Most about the size of jockeys but a little taller. Nicky Hayden is actually one of the bigger guys in GP.

Other things are that their bikes are customized to make it easier for them to brake with just a thigh holding them to the tank. You would actually be surprised at how early their hard braking is actually done. At the point their leg goes out and they shift their bodies they are usually just sort of trail braking and getting ready to get back on the throttle.

There are products that can help though. It's those pads you can stick to the side of the tank that are a clear rubber with bumps on them and they give quite a bit of friction against your leg while on the tank. This reduces the amount of squeeze required during braking. I don't remember what the stuff is called.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode