Too Soon? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Too Soon?

So I just hit the 7500 mile mark on my bike and I'm starting to get an itch to do a track day. I've only been riding for a couple of months so I'm wondered it might be too soon and I'll leave the track day without having had very much fun and feeling frustrated. Does the fact that all that most of that mileage was put on hitting the twisties on the pacific coast highway and highway 17 make much of a difference? Or should I wait till I have a good year under my belt before thinking about a track day? Any input is welcome and appreciated. Even you guys who probably think I'm nuts for even considering it.

She's Found! Now I just hope I can restore her to her former glory...

Theres never weather bad enough to stop riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 07:41 AM

I don't think you will leave feeling fruserated at all. Find an organization like Sportbike Track Time that offers basic or beginner classes with instruction. I have heard nothing but great things about most of the track day organization, but opinions will vary. I have my first one coming up on the 19th, and I can't wait.

I say go for it. Good Luck and be safe.

Jon

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

"Hold my beer, watch this"

Redline Superbike Member
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:05 AM

Go for it

Heck no, I think you'll have a great time. They'll typically divide you up in appropriate groups depending on your experience and skill level. You'll probably learn a lot and have a lot of fun doing it. Tell us how it goes.

I read a story where Keith Code (racing and track riding instructor) said that the best students he has are the really new beginners. They don't have any established bad habits, have an open mind, and are most willing to learn/listen. (a clean slate so to speak)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Oh man, I totally forgot that I posted this thread a couple of months ago. Then again, I don't think it got that many views anyway. :

So I've yet to get out to the track and sadly I don't think I'll be able to until mid september

zxRider you made a great point about the whole clean slate thing...too bad I'm not much of one anymore. I've already passed the 10,000 mile mark, think my last check on the odometer put me somewhere close to 14k, or maybe more....hope I haven't picked up too many bad habits.

She's Found! Now I just hope I can restore her to her former glory...

Theres never weather bad enough to stop riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode