Leathers - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Leathers

So I am considering taking my bike out on the track for the first time this summer and I have a few questions about rider gear.

Many places require that you have certain gear when on the track. Do I need a full leather suit? I have a pretty nice leather jacket. Do I need to buy boots and leather pants before I have ever tried the track? I suppose it would be a good investment...but nonetheless Im a little strapped for cash.

Well...for one, I am 6'4" 255 lbs. There are hardly any leather pants much less one-piece suits that fit my body type (that I can find anyways). Boy they're expensive!

What Im asking is 1) do I really need them? and if so 2) where can I find paul bunyan sized leathers?

Thanks!!

"Ride like there's no tomorrow--and there will be no tomorrow"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 04:45 PM

Cant help you on the size...

Tracks require some sort of safety gear. Often times, if you enroll in the "slower" groups, you can get away with just textiles, without needing full leathers. If thats the case you can get away with textile riding pants ($100 or so) your jacket, riding gloves ($50 for some descent cheapies) and boots that cover the ankle.

I can guarantee that you will need a one or two piece suit to advance in classes, but depending on the track, you may be able to start on the cheap.

Also, some track companies offer a suit rental program, ussually for about $100 for everything (minus the helmet). Contact them ahead of time to reserve your size.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 06:37 PM

Not sure about the track day org's where you live, but here in so. cali..most, if not all require at the very least a leather jacket, that will zip 360 degrees to leather pants, some will allow textiles in the slowest group, but consider, that textiles Do Not protect you the way leather will.

Boots need to at least cover your ankle, purpose built MC racing boots are best, as they offer much more protection, look for discontinuded models, or even used.

Gloves need to the Gaulant type, this a Critical piece of gear, as your hands most always contact the tarmac If you fall.

Some org's now require back protectors too, good idea IMHO.

If your strapped for $$$, used gear can be a good way to go. Lots of places to get it.

Be sure to check with the track day org (provider) for minium gear requirements. Then check what they require for bike prep.

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 03:43 AM
Strength and Honor

Cool

The only thing I have to add to those comments is a suggestion that you might consider giving Newenough.com a call. Talk with them about your size and shape and see what they recommend. They WILL take your budget in mind. But this should only be done after you've talked to the track-day organization about what you are or are not allowed to wear.

For body gear the categories are, simply:
Textile
Two-piece leathers, 8" zipper
Two-piece leathers, full circumference zipper
One-piece leathers

I'm sure the one-piece meets all requirements (excepting the back protector that Hammer notes; news to me). The other three are iffy and should be asked about before talking with Newenough.

I'm planning to ride with California Superbike School this year and have full circumference. Their site lists the minimum requirements so the same is probably the case for whoever you're going to go with.

Ebay is a good second choice next to Newenough if they're still too high. But the investment required to attend a track school is, I believe, well worth the outcome of the learning experience. Go for it!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 05:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
What group are you planning on riding with? We are pretty luck here in WI to have 3 tracks pretty close to us. Here are the gear requirements from the 3 groups that ride around here

Private Track Time:

Leather or heavy jacket. No nylon.
Back Protector highly recommended
Chaps, leather, or Cordura pants
Reinforced synthetic riding suits acceptable
Full-face coverage helmet
Over-ankle Riding Boots
Full-fingered gloves

Nesba:

Helmet, full-face DOT, SNELL, or European standard approved, with
eye protection. No flip-up helmets allowed.
o Leather or textile riding suits (i.e., Cordura, Kevlar, or Aerostich-type).
No textile suits will be allowed in the Advanced class. Two-piece suits
must zip together; full circumference is required. Airmesh-style
suits (where you can see your skin through them) are NOT
permitted.
o Two pairs of jeans will be allowed for the Intro class only
o Sturdy over-the-ankle leather boots
o Leather gauntlet-type gloves
o Back protector (strongly recommended)

STT:

1) Damage free BSI, DOT or SNELL full-face helmet with face shield.
2) Riding boots that fully cover the ankle.
3) Gauntlet style gloves with full wrist coverage.
4) One or two piece leathers. Two piece leather suits must zip together for intermediate or advanced groups. Ballistic nylon suits such as Joe Rocket, AeroStitch etc. are acceptable in the Novice and Intermediate Group only provided they are either one piece or zip together with at least 50% zipper contact with reinforced and padded shoulders, elbows, hips, and knee areas. No chaps.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode