Getting ready for cornerspeed nov 6th please help with tire choice. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to EdgeRanger
Getting ready for cornerspeed nov 6th please help with tire choice.

Let me give you all a little background. I'm ending my 3rd season riding on the street. I have only ever been on an 01 r6 05 r6 and a couple of sv650's. I feel that I'm a pretty decent rider. I have been to two track days one at Jennings where I wrecked my 01. and one just recently at Vir north back in September on the 05.

At my last track day at vir I ran a set of scrubs, during about the 5th session my rear started to come out on me and I kind of slowed down for that session and one more session before i Called it quits for the day. Now I'm getting ready to go to VIR grand with corner speed nov 6th. I'm considering get a new set of tires, thinking about going with the dragon supercorsas's. I want something that is going to stick for the day. When I ran VIR North just recently. I stayed in 2nd for the first few sessions excpt on the straight. As I got better I used 3rd just before the up hill trun. I spent most of that day in the upper RPM's and I know I was getting on it coming out of the turns. I can afford to get the dragon supercorsas but I don't want to if I don't have to. This will be my 3rd track day and first rider school.

2004 Ford Ranger FX4 Off Road.
2005 Yamaha R6

"Every Day brings something new, be prepard."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 03:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to izzybo69
Tires!

I have been going to track days for about 3 yrs now, I have tried alot of tires, for the money you just cannot beat Michelin pilot powers, and they wear pretty good, the best thing about them is they can withstand numerous heat cycles and still perform great. Now they have come out with the pilot power 2CT's and i will be trying a set as soon as they come out with a 190 rear. hope this helps.

I may not know everything about somethings, but i know something about everything!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 06:33 PM

First off, different tires will yeild different results, i.e. whatever bike you have will likely need to have the suspension set for that brand of tire, as some brands have taller fronts, some have taller rears..also, if choose to go with a 190 rear, some adjustments will need to be made re: damping, and rebound, due to the tires having a much stiffer carcass.

And..the 190 is taller, so if your forks are way up through the triples, you need to set em back to stock or close to it.

Now, as for brand, it's pretty much a personal thang...I've run just about every brand, cept the newer Michillens. Out of those I tried, including the Supercorsa, but NOT the pro's, I setteled on the Bridgestones, they wear a tad quicker, but they stick Real good! I went from using the DOT BT002's to thier slicks, even still the profile of the front 002 is Nice...

I'd suggest trying as many brands as possible, then pick a brand you like. Don't forget to run the recomended air pressure..

Oh, one other thing, if you want to inquire about a certian brand, I suggest you contact that trackside vendor as oppossed to a Shop / bike dealer, trackside vendors supply racers and know more than a dealer will.

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Right now the thing I'm worried about is sticking to the track. My supension is still set as stock. I'm Very new at all this, I didn't even realize till the other day that the rear that I ran at my last track day was a 190. I didn't even bother to look at it when I got it.

I was also thinking about These from calsportbike as it seems to be a good price and they are bit cheaper then the supercrosa pro's.

I know I need to talke to somebody about supension to. I may have to waite till the track day and see who I can talk to. I'm kind scard to start playing with my supension. I'm going to stick to the 180 rear for the next track Day. Right now I thinking about going with the diablo corsa track day tires. The thing I'm also worried about if I get a race tire is heat cycles. I don't have enough money at the moment to do the track day and also get tire warmes. Racing is expensive and right now I"m just doing a coulpe of track days to better my self Depending on how things go. I may do more next season. I may attempt to race bout I doubht I will be ready for next year. Maybe in a couple of more years.

2005 Yamaha R6

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 07:11 AM

For that price, you can get a Current DOT race tire from a vendor, that's less $$$.

As for the Diablo Corsa's, those would be a good choice.

Once again, check around for the Pirelli vendor that services VIR, you'll get better prices and service too..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys yea I ordered the Pirelli Diablo Corsa track day tires. I will be checking the price of tires at my next track day to see how much they compare to internet pricing. Got my race coolent My back protecotor will be here today Tires on monday. Going to start preping the bike this weekend. New brake pads allready here.

2005 Yamaha R6

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 09:54 AM

Beware of internet stuff, they could be OLD tires, and you want tires made this year, not in 2002...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 11:50 AM

My friends at work have go to the track a lot, I can't afford it yet. They said there is usually a guy there that will set up your suspension for around $30. I set my 06 R6 to the setting reccomended by sport rider magazine, which got it really close, then a few small tweaks and booya. It made a huge difference. Just write down your stock settings in case you don't like it, or not. Also, My bike has the Dunlop Qualifiers (stock), I'm on my second rear tire already. What are your opinions on the Qualifiers? I'm going with a set of Michelin CT2s next for the dual compound option since I ride to work every day and the middle wears out too fast.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by audispeed
My friends at work have go to the track a lot, I can't afford it yet. They said there is usually a guy there that will set up your suspension for around $30. I set my 06 R6 to the setting reccomended by sport rider magazine, which got it really close, then a few small tweaks and booya. It made a huge difference. Just write down your stock settings in case you don't like it, or not. Also, My bike has the Dunlop Qualifiers (stock), I'm on my second rear tire already. What are your opinions on the Qualifiers? I'm going with a set of Michelin CT2s next for the dual compound option since I ride to work every day and the middle wears out too fast.

You can't afford the track..??? Lemme see, you have a 06 50th anivers. R6..and you live in "Newport Bch"...whats the problem..???

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 02:52 PM

That's why I cant afford it. I actually work for a living unfortunately, and do not have an inflated trust fund like most of my friends. I also need a lot of stuff first. A suit being one of them. I plan on getting the Alpinesatrs MX-1 It's about $1100. And I'd like to do some performance upgrades, but the bike is faster than my skills so that doesn't matter. I think I am required to take a course first too which adds a few hundred bucks to the very expensive track day. I can't wait though, it is my ultimate goal. I also want a track bike so I can sell my R6 when the time comes w/o it being too f'd up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode