Katana @ the track? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to PPPope
Katana @ the track?

I've been riding the street/highway for a year now. I'm still a complete newbie (5,000 miles), but I can't get enough of watching MotoGP, AMA, and reading about "Deals Gap" and your amazing track-day experience conversations on here. Leathers, NEW BIKE, and the full track-time life isn't in the picture for me yet, as much as I wish it would be, but would taking the Katana to the track for a "Try The Track" experience be ok? Would they even let my use my bike, it being a sport touring machine? Side comment, I'm sure the answer is yes, but I'll ask it anyway: can one even get their knee down on a Katana (I'm months from this of course)? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I've got to get to the TRACK!

Thanks for the help you track day junkies!

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."
-Vince Lombardi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 05:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
First of all, absolutely you can take it on the track.

Secondly, yes a knee could be put down while on a Katana. Remember it wasn't all that many years ago that the Katana was the Suzuki supersport machine raced in AMA. Granted things have changed significantly but back in the late 80s they were the race bikes although the suspension was a wee bit adjusted. lol

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the reply. I figured a person with enough skill could lean the hearty Katana far enough to get a knee dragging! For now, I'll stick to watching Nicky and the bunch, but later this summer I'll try to get to the track for some teaching and fun. How often do you get to the track down there?

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."
-Vince Lombardi

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PPPope
Thanks a lot for the reply. I figured a person with enough skill could lean the hearty Katana far enough to get a knee dragging! For now, I'll stick to watching Nicky and the bunch, but later this summer I'll try to get to the track for some teaching and fun. How often do you get to the track down there?
I was there last weekend and thats the first time in 2 years... since my RC was stolen. I was so disgisted that I just stayed away. The previous 10 years had me at the track alot. Probably monthly after my AMA mechanic days. Then it was just the AMA and FUSA races.

John

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

That's awesome. I would love to get to the track about once a month. There are two close to me, one in Toronto and one in Western Penn. I ride in full gear right now (jeans, no leather pants), but I am looking into getting a full suit for highway/track riding. Do you have any experience with Syed leathers? I know Vanson is very popular, but Syed looks to be a very reputable brand, too.

Thanks

-Vince Lombardi
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PPPope
That's awesome. I would love to get to the track about once a month. There are two close to me, one in Toronto and one in Western Penn. I ride in full gear right now (jeans, no leather pants), but I am looking into getting a full suit for highway/track riding. Do you have any experience with Syed leathers? I know Vanson is very popular, but Syed looks to be a very reputable brand, too.

Thanks
Syed makes good suits. Hold together pretty well in crashes.

John

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:58 PM

Re: the Katana...few yrs ago there was this Old dude that use to ride a clapped out Katana..funny thing was...he use to smoke most everyone up in the mountians..I don't recomend doin that..but it just goes to show...alot of fast riding is due to the Rider, not always the bike...

Also, for leathers..check out Barnacle Bill..great guy, and he, like Syed is very reasonable on prices for custom suits..

http://www.racingleather.com/

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode