Questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Questions

Ok, I fresh back from hallett, which went fairly well (Minus one almost highside). Quick sum up of the track itself. Lots of blind corners. Lousy pavement. Very friendly staff, but appear less professional than the crew at MSR. Fascilities are mediocre at best. Still lots of fun, and a good challange.

On to riding skills.
Strong points: Highspeed left turns. Cant bring myself to lean as much to the right as I do to the rear.
Newly developed skill (partially developed anyway): Using the brakes mid corner to adjust line. Leaning on the brakes. Yey.
Weak points: Right turns. Slow turns especially on bumpy surface. Straights... Ok, its more like braking. I'm afraid to pick up all the speed I can at the straight, and overcooking the coming corner. Need a better gage of how far it takes me to slow down.

So mid time solutions. Lots of straight line braking practice, From 150mph down, not necessarily to a full stop, but to a lower speed, untill judging the distance becomes second nature.
Slow speed turns present more difficulty. I cant praise enough the forks ohlin valving, it does wonders. However the rear end is not something I am happy with, it often looses traction over bumps (Not completely, but enough to skip all over the place). At high speeds, I noticed that hanging to the front of the bike seems to calm down the rear end. At low speed turns, when the bike doesnt feel so stable I have a hard time with hanging off far. When the bumps upset the chassis I feel like I'm going to fall off the bike. Confidence gets sapped, I find myself on top of the bike, sometimes stiff and scared.

Solutions: Lots of parking lots circles, at low speed, try to get them as tight as I can, both left and right, with emphasis on the right. Also, revalve/respring the shock. It may not be entirely necessary (as I'm sure the stock can do more than I'm asking of it) but it will give me some mental boost of confindence. And no one has been hurt by better suspension.

Another point: Endurance. Each track day I find myself loading up and heading home around 3pm. At the time I ussually have a headache, tired, have a hard time concentrating, and dealing with some leg cramps. All seem to be classic symptoms of dehydration. I drink as much as I can while I'm out there, but I've been told its important to hydrate yourself days ahead of time (I'm dont drink a whole lot of fluids on a daily basis) I'm told a proper diet a few days ahead will make a big difference as well. Does anyone know what the proper diet is?

Any comments, criticism and advice would be very welcomed

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 03:23 PM

Hey Vash,

I had the same problem with lack of focus near the end of the day. I was dehydrated and didn't prepare ahead of time. All the experienced track guys said that I needed to keep drinking water/Gatorade at every opportunity.

The judgement of corner closing speed eludes me. I found myself thinking that I was coming in way to hot for turn 1 at Road America, got on the brakes, but when I got there I was going way too slow. At the other extreme I thought I was going at a good clip for another turn, but missed the mark at the apex and ended up in the gravel.

I think that you are on the right path by getting out there and practicing. I have only one day under my belt and need to do a hell of a lot more. I was told by one gentleman at the track that I should consider going to a race school like Keith Code for a few days. He said that one day at that school is like going to 15 trackdays.

The masses are asses.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Vash,

Glad you feel something different from your suspension upgrades. I know you put a bunch of time into that! Mine turned out well so far, but haven't been to a track with the YZF, so I still don't know.

Diet and exercise: Well, obviously hydration is a big key, well in advance. You lose water faster than you can absorb it, so keep drinking until your back teeth are floating. Keep the potassium levels up prior to anything that will make you sweat heavy. Bananas are good for muscle cramps, and make a good trackside snack, as well as turkey (good for overall relaxation actually). That and some energy bars and sports drinks for trackside will go a long way. I like to "pre-mix" my sport drinks 50/50 with water, only because I don't want to jack my electrolytes all at once.

But... this is my get through physical activity thing... not necessarily a track day regimene. Could help though.

Take care...

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 08:39 PM

I'd suggest cutting out heavy and fatty foods, and while you're at it drop sugary substances such as candy and soda. Carb up like marathon runners would the day before.

As for remembering to stay hydrated, buy a liter bottle, fill it up in the morning, bring it along with you and make sure you constantly drink from it all day long to keep yourself hydrated. That's what I do at work to constantly remind myself to drink more water instead of soda or coffee.

work hard and play hard... hell, if I'm killin' myself with work, I may as well kill myself havin' fun!!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I normally drink quiet abit between sessions, but almost nothing before hand (a mistake, I know). Next time I'm going to try to keep as much liquid in me as possible 2 or 3 days before. Of course, this will make the road trip there somewhat more... complicated.

DanQ: The new front end absolutely rocks. Not only does it handle better, it handles over a greater range of pavement types without needing adjustment. Wether its slow and bumpy or fast and smooth, fast corners with potholes, whatever, the font absorbs it all, nice and smooth. Braking deep into a corner became easier, encoutering a big bump while braking isnt as much of a big deal anymore. However it instantly brings to focus the rear end which isnt nearly as good, set almost all the way loose, acts stiff as shit, loosing traction over a bumpy surface even when I am not on the gas! But it will probably have to wait till winter time, unless I find some crazy deal.

Thermide: I'd like to attend a multiple day race school, but I'm afraid I cannot commit to that financially. Cali superbike school passed thru texas on their last tour, but not this year. With school fees alone in the thouthands, not to mention transportation and lodging for a week, there is no way I can reasonably justify that, especially since I dont have any real race ambitions.

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 08:00 PM

Re: bumpy slower turns...you didn't say what shock you have..

But here's what I suggest..slowing way down for tighter, bumpy turns makes them that much worse...this assuming that your shock is in decent shape...think about it, If your slowing down for turns like these, it means the bike is riding on bumps for a longer period of time, hence you Feel more bumps, also along these lines, holding on tight magnifies the "bumpyness"...On a track that I ride often, there 2 slower turns that are fairly bumpy, and for the longest time, I'd slow way down for em, thena friend of mine, who isn't..too affraid of trying new things, went through those turns as if there were No bumps...and guess what, I tried at his suggestion, and no worries, no traction loss, as the bike goes over the bumps so much faster, that I hardly feel them.
Sometimes you just have to Trust your bike, which includes your tires..

My suspension is Stock, but resprung and revalved with Race Tech stuff, works really good...

As for the braking from high speeds, what you need to do is Find a reference point to begin braking, it's called a brak marker, can be anything, a cone a rock, a patch in the tarmac..ect...all good riders have em, along with other markers, a Fast rider is almost lost without them..Once you find those markers, it makes life much easier on the track..I.E. I have markers for when to start braking, when to let off, and when to start gassin it..I don't use the begin braking markers so much anymore, as I do the when to Stop braking markers. Spend a few sessions working it out..

As for your problem with Endurance...aside from gettin Old, I find a Good nights sleep, and loading up with LOTS of water, gatoraid, and banana's at least 3 days before my track day works for me. I alos skip a session after lunch, and just rest, all the time downing water, gatoraid and a good ole Monster drink..

The banana's will help alot with cramping, potsasium is good for you, I also tend to stay away from soda type drinks at the track..Oh, and I usually take 3 or 4 hard boiled eggs to eat, they seem to help a bit with energy.

Lastly, check you shock out, if it needs adjustment, or refreshing, do it..it can make a difference...

Hope this helps a bit..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks hammer!

The thing with streights goes abit like this. You know the lecture you get at riders meeting about "it doesnt take much to go fast streight"? well I listened, and got into a bad habit of only accelerating about halfway down the streight. So time and time again, I'm passed by 3-4 bikes before the corner, only to pass a few of them in the corner. It did me good, but its time to use more of the streight than just half.

The suspension is stock. Forks are revalved with ohlins (the stock spring rates were very close to recommended so I left them alone). It made all the difference in the world. The rear end is completely stock, and feels far too stiff, even thou I'm running half a turn from full soft. The traction problem is not the classic fishtail, but rather skipping over bumps, even at low throttle. Amazingly enough (and for reasons I dont entirely understand) hanging off to the front of the bike (kissing the mirror) seems to help a great deal. For this reason I thought lowering the front end might be a great deal of help, or maybe raising the rear. but I'm not sure how much to raise (5mm? 1/2"? 1"?). But once the skipping thing starts, its kind of hard to trust the bike, know what I mean?

I'll look for brake markers next time, I've already decided on that. The part that worries me is that when you have to brake depends on how fast you are going. So I figure what happens if I find a good marker, then 10 laps later start exiting on to the streight faster? wouldnt that make my marker worthless?

Again thanks for the help

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 03:42 PM

Vash, do yourself a BIG favor, and get the shock either revalved by a pro, or get a Penske...your bike will Thank you...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4
Vash, do yourself a BIG favor, and get the shock either revalved by a pro, or get a Penske...your bike will Thank you...
The plan is to get it revalved this winter. Its a cash/downtime issue.

Man, about the time I'm going to have this bike just like I like it, it'll be time to get a new one...

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
The plan is to get it revalved this winter. Its a cash/downtime issue.

Man, about the time I'm going to have this bike just like I like it, it'll be time to get a new one...
There you go!

And I've thought that same thought... but yet, I still have my FZR-1000.

My suspension mods on the YZF went awesome! On top of the spring rate being good front and rear, having the valving where I can adjust it in a wide range is great. It's so nice to make a 4 click adjustment and be able to feel a difference! I'd do the racetech stuff for sure (well, actually I did).

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode