1st Track Day - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to rezrider
Thumbs down 1st Track Day

So I finally was able to go to my first track day that I pre registered for and it was raining and 34 degrees all day. They actually did not cancel the event and a few riders went out. I have been riding my whole life and owned several sportbikes and have riden in all kinds of weather. This however is a new zx10 that I bought last year and my first track day. Going out in the rain at that temp is not my idea of fun. I spoke to the owner of the organization at the track and the next day in an email. I was wondering if I could get some credit, any credit towards the next track day. I didn't even want any money back I just want to ride. Her attitude was well there were riders that rode until 4pm I could have rode too, so basically kiss my you know what. Needless to say that will be the last time that I choose that organization that also happened to be very unorganized. The rider meeting she told me was at 8:20 it was 8:25 when she told me that, it started after 9am. I won't mention the organizations name that's not my style I just wanted to vent a little and see if anyone else has had this type of experience here in the Northeast or anywhere USA.

rezrider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 10:20 AM

Let me take a wild guess.....was it a Pocono day sometime in early April?

I've been on the track during rain, sleet and even snow (on the 1000!) at times at Pocono during April. It happens.

What I would do is register for another day that's sometime in mid summer. Most of the organizations have a free intro session or 2 (Try the track, etc.) so you can get a better feel to see if the track is a place for you. It will be more crowded during the summer months but the weather is likely to be better.

"Take it to the track"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 10:24 AM

Sorry to hear it, many organizers actually enforce that rule, whether rain or shine, you have to ride if you paid for it, no refund or reschedule. However, few concessions are made at their discretion or if it's puring hard enough to see anything. I dislike the fact that they won't reschedule when it's raining. And some organizers open early, for example, Sportbike Track Time -

Quote:
Spend a day with us...

7:00 AM - Gates Open
Enter the track, sign the venues liability waiver at the gate.

7:15 AM -Michelin "Trackside" Tire Service Open
Put some new Slicks, H-2's, M-2's or Pilot Sport tires on the bike. Since we are a distributor, STT member prices are the lowest around, guaranteed.

7:30 AM to 8:30 AM - Registration & tech inspections
Meet us at the registration area to check in and be assigned to a riding group. Turn in your liability waiver and any last minute paperwork to us, get your bike and proceed to the clearly marked tech inspection area. Get your inspection sticker, and enjoy some fresh fruit, donuts or a sweet bun. Talk with the staff photographer about getting some good shots, or maybe talk with the tire service about putting on some fresh tires during your riding day. DO NOT FORGET to check your tires' air pressure, since settings for the track will differ from street settings!

8:30 AM - Rider's Meeting
This meeting is mandatory for all riders. As you finish your breakfast, we will brief you on the track conditions, general rules, flags, and a recap of safe track entry and exit. We introduce our instructors so you can pick them out. Immediately following the rider's meeting all Novice group riders will have a mandatory meeting with our instructors for more in depth instruction.

9:00 AM - First track session
The sessions will rotate in order of Intermediate, Advanced, Novice. During each session, those riding in the next session should gear up and be ready at the marked grid entry at least 5 minutes prior to the start of their session.

12:00 PM - Lunch Break
Meet us at the registration area for a tasty lunch for all riders. (Mid-Ohio being an exception, do to track rules lunch is available for purchase only here).

1:00 PM - Special Session
This is a special 15-minute session for two-up riders and female riders only, with a limit of 25 bikes out on the track. This is a great experience for spouses and friends who came with you to the track to get up close and personal with the track! (Riders must have proper riding attire).

5:00 PM (depending on venue) End of Day
It's time to pack up and head home, or better yet camp at the track (where available) or a nearby hotel where you drop your gear and meet us for dinner, where you can hang out with our team, have some fun, and get ready for the next day of riding!

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 04-24-2006 at 10:27 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 11:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to SteveR6
Sportbiketracktime rocks did my first track day at MidOhio with them Saturday. All I can say is wow, I really don't have much desire to even ride on the street anymore. They ran a well organized event and would gladly help if you wanted it but didn't preach at you. I ran intermediate and they pretty much let us do as we pleased as long as we weren't doing something really stupid. Noone was reprimanded that I recall. Look them up for your next track day, don't give up on it because of one bad experience because you'll be hooked once you get started I know I sure as hell am.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to rezrider
Smile Sportbiketracktime

Yea I know everyone or every org has a bad day. Although I did not say that it was that org. I might give them another shot. The weather is out of everyones control.

rezrider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode