Twist of the Wrist Vol. 1 - Review - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Twist of the Wrist Vol. 1 - Review

As I've been taken a little break from riding, I was reading the book. Asides from few good tips, first half of the chapter is crap. Most of it is common sense and things a rider could pick up on his own, and Keith Code restates the same concept over and over through out the chapters. And only way you could possibly apply these redundancies is if you have vast experence being a track junkie or are a careless/fast street rider. His tips are good reminders for track riders once you filter out the unnecessary jibberish.

Most of his info will go on the waywide for the inexperienced, since some are common sense, and some are unsafe to apply on the road. The guy just likes to hear himself talk, not the most succinct manual to art of riding. His ego is so big, he touts his own horn as he's explaining, and I'm thinking, if it's very easy for you, why aren't you out there competing at top level?

Rest half of it when starts getting into timing, braking, weight shift, and sliding are very well explained, but not as elaborative as I would hope for street riding. And then he drones on again at the end.

It's a tolerable read when you're on the john .

I wanted to pick up TOTW Vol. 2, but now having doubts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 04:51 AM

I'll send you vol2 if you want. I picked up both, and felt about the same about the first volume that you did. The guy does run one of the best racing schools in the country, but the way that book is written is downright insulting. I strongly suggest Total Control.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 07:22 AM

TOTW 2 was supposed to be geared more towards street riding right? since i didn't get both books for x-mas as i'd hope i was gonna go and buy them myself.

vash, what's your opinion on how total control compares to keith code's books?

work hard and play hard... hell, if I'm killin' myself with work, I may as well kill myself havin' fun!!!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 07:30 AM

I really enjoyed total control. I've read it right after I read "sport riding techniques" which was full of the dangers of riding. The advice was good, but the book left me with a serious feeling of paranoia. Total control was much more about having fun with it. The advice was good, also nothing spectacular (There is only so much you can say about riding without showing), there was some good technical section on bike mechanics, and some intro into racing. The over all attitude of the author is downright priceless.

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Is Vol. 2 reinstating the same stuff all over again with some technical terms thrown in? If so, don't bother, but thanks for the gesture. Who wrote Total Control? Is it written with street riding in mind, what are the highlights?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 04:31 AM

Never opened volume 2. Like I said I felt so discusted with the first....
Total control is by lee parks. It spends about as much time concentrating on street riding as it does track riding. hell PM me an addy and I'll send you both, if you promise to send them back to me when you are done.

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to veektor
I haven't read either one of the three books discussed, but I remember picking up from a previous discussion on the subject that Vol 2 was much better than Vol 1. Hopefully someone who has read them will eventually chime in and settle this for good.

Signature unreadable...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:42 PM

TOTWII has some good info...do yourself a favor and read it. There's more than 1 racer I know of that reads TOTWII all the time...as alott of the things are applicable to street and the track..IF you apply them to your riding.

As for why K.C. isn't competing...welp, cuzz he's gettin up there in years...at least that'd be my guess, and then some people are better at teaching then being a champ..anb there's nutin wrong with that..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 05:11 AM

Z hits it on the head Keith is an A**. He never really made it in racing, but did compete for many many years. Unfortunatly it is hard to respect a person's ideas when they act like an a**. Having said that, the fundamentals he teachs are extremely important and valid. Just got to get past the man. He has a lot of good information in his books, and he has a wealth of knowledge, which is why many school emulate his, well him and Pridmore.

There is a forum of his somewhere. I locked horns with him a couple of times. It was fun. Couldn't razz him too hard, most of the folks on the board have their heads gently stuffed into Mr. Codes a**, would have gotten hammered pretty bad.

For me, like z was saying, it is a lot of common sense, but a lot of it is not. One thing Keith stresses is to not learn a bad habit. I say read as many different author/experts ideas, try them all, pick one that serves you best, and practice like a mofo. Always listen to the smart a**hole even though his breath stinks.

Like my tailight?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grasshopper
Z hits it on the head Keith is an A**. He never really made it in racing, but did compete for many many years. Unfortunatly it is hard to respect a person's ideas when they act like an a**. Having said that, the fundamentals he teachs are extremely important and valid. Just got to get past the man. He has a lot of good information in his books, and he has a wealth of knowledge, which is why many school emulate his, well him and Pridmore.

There is a forum of his somewhere. I locked horns with him a couple of times. It was fun. Couldn't razz him too hard, most of the folks on the board have their heads gently stuffed into Mr. Codes a**, would have gotten hammered pretty bad.

For me, like z was saying, it is a lot of common sense, but a lot of it is not. One thing Keith stresses is to not learn a bad habit. I say read as many different author/experts ideas, try them all, pick one that serves you best, and practice like a mofo. Always listen to the smart a**hole even though his breath stinks.

Look, sometimes in life, people don't get to the highest level of their sport, and accomplish great things. But alott of times, they understand what it takes to help get others there, i.e. some of the best golf teachers, never made it to the big time, but they have the ability to show, and teach others how to become very good at whatever it is they want to lean..I think this in some ways applies to Keith, plus I think if you rounded up some of the fastest club racers, he would smoke them, even at his age..

The idea is, he has a good grasp, on the techniques of motorcycle racing..and he's had some pretty sucessful students. You may not like him, or his approch, but you can't deni his accomplishments in teaching.

And No, I've never taken his classes, nor have I met him, I do know lots of guys that took his classes, and one of his instructors, who by the way has set track records..

I do agree, that it's a good idea to read all you can, and from as many people as possible, same goes for taking race / riding schools....just my 3 cents..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode