I'm Baaaaaack!!!!!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

I'm Baaaaaack!!!!!!!

I need to update my profile and photo.

I was really active on this site about two years ago. My last posts were about my first experiences club racing in CCS

I campaigned my stock '02 R6 for about 1 and 1/2 seasons, but I got tired of getting my ass kicked by 16y/o kids in the 600 class and old farts in formula 40.

So I read the CCS rule book.

I found that a 1000cc air-cooled 2 valve twin could race with liquid cooled 700cc twins (SV650) and air-cooled push-rod 1200cc twins (BUELL) COOL! I was goin' Harley huntin'

So I sold my R6 and bought a brand new 2004 DUCATI SS1000 DS at Pro-Italia and just left it there. Looking back, I should have just kept the R6 so I could have raced more.

I got with the head mechanic at Pro-Italia, John French, and we agreed to build a relatively dependable race bike. So we went with Carillo steel rods, high-compression pistons, Falco lightened, balanced, polished and knife-edged the crankshaft. The heads were ported by the guy who did Gene Romero's heads, stock valve train and valves, but John changed the cam timing a little bit and put on a black box that re-mapped the stock fuel map (I think)

This whole thing cost about $19K and took 18MONTHS!

I think John gave me a break on his labor costs because he only worked on it when he had spare time. That is probably why it took so long.

So, about 3 months before the bike is finished, I get a letter from CCS. They can't afford to put on any races in California. SH#T!!!

I really didn't want to schlep the 600 mile rount trip to NV or AZ to race a few times a year with CCS.

I finally took delivery and took it to a Calfornia Superbike School class (Level 4) at S.O.W. and a track day at Pahrump.

WOW! did I get my money's worth! It pulls like a BULLDOZER from 4K to 8.5K RPM. I had to short shift to keep from needing to upshift in the middle of a trun. Even with the tall stock gearing.!

OK, so I've got the bitchin' bike but no place to party with it.

I then decided to do something that I had promised myself I would never do.

I decided to race at Willow Springs.

The GOOD NEWS: they have a race the 3rd Sunday of every month and it is less than 2 hours from my house. they also have a formula 50 so I can get my ass kicked by even older farts but I am hoping that there will be fewer of them so all I have to do is finish to get on the podium. I am now 53 years old.

The BAD NEWS: there is a 1/4 mile downhill back straight where the Open Class bikes do a buck 70. Gulp. AND I get no advantage for my bike. I will be racing against RC51'S and 999's

Nonetheless, I took their New Racer School and barely passed. To pass the school, you need to turn a lap under 2:00 I turned a 1:54.8.

The hot shoes do well under 1:30

A lot had to do with the fact that a girl on a R6 passed me during the final qualifying session. She passed me and it occured to me that I should try harder or I was not going to qualify. I started riding harder and after a few laps, I got a good run coming out of turn 9 and passed her when I late breaked going into turn 1.

I started out club racing because I thought it would be like a track day that was always on a weekend.

It has turned out to be much more.

Little did I know that it all started out 38 years ago when someone let me ride their minibike for free.

Next it was a full-sized dirt bike.

Then a street bike.

And then a sportbike.

Before you know it, you are doing the CRACK COCAINE of motorcycling...ROAD RACING!!!!

It is instatntly addictive.

It is very expensive.

It is very dangerous.

but it's legal.

I will probably race this month.

My plan is to stay on the race line and not get killed.

Anything more that that is just gravy.

I will keep you posted....I hope

Once you try track, you never go back.

Last edited by desmo079; 01-05-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 04:01 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Good to have ya back. Good luck with the racing, let us know how it goes!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 12:36 PM

No wonder I saw you name in the HW novice times at mylaps dot com...

Bout time you got back into it...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

God bless you, Hammer for not blabbing the numbers.

I came in last.

But in my defense, most of the bikes were liter size japanese 4cyl.

I did get my bike dynoed. It made 92.6 hp and 69ft/lbs of torque. I am sure that is close to half of my liquid cooled multivalve competitors.

Nonetheless, I had a TON of fun and, if you look and my practice session lap times in the AM on Sunday, I was a lot faster in the morning. In the afternoon my wife said that the announcer told the crowd that the wind was gusting up to 50mph! It felt like a lot more.

Any way, I am all pumped about going back in Feb.

I recommend to ANYONE who wants to watch a whole day of some really exciting road racing for a $10 gate fee to make the drive to Willow Springs for the Sunday races.

Check out the schedule at www.willowspringsraceway.com

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:31 PM

I just might see ya out there in Feb...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

COOL!!!

I'm #921

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode