Getting back into bikes! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Getting back into bikes!

After 12 yrs off racing, im doin my first track day and I have a few questions.

Anyway, Im doin a track day and setting up my suspension, however, depending on which magazine article I used Im getting 2 diff sag settings. 31 or 36 mm sag rear and 30 or 22mm sag front? what the hell. Ive got all the right measurements just need the right formula.

Also my preload is maxed out front w/ .5 line showing...is it time for fork springs and will it mess w/ handling in rear?

Also any fr/rear preload/compression initial settings for a 200lb rider w/ stock suspension and pilot powers?

And 1 more ? if i may, how much water wetter should i use? Thanks a million,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 02:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to twixt
with water wetter it says on the bottle, 1 ounce per 1 quart of distilled water i believe. i looked in my shop manual it said my bike has 2.5 quarts so i did 2.5 ounces of water. it really did lower my temp by 20 degrees i rarely get hot enough now to get the fans to turn on.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to bozjidar
Unfortunately there's no "right" formula. Those numbers will get you in the ballpark. The rest is a matter of how the bike feels to you on track, and that depends on a lot of things.

If you can't hit your target sag numbers even when the preload is cranked all the way up then you need springs.

I'm about 215. The stock springs really aren't made for that kind of weight, but with the preload cranked up you can probably get away with it for a while. I did.

For starter suspension settings go here:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0006_susp/

At your weight you'll probably want to add some more compression. You should take the bike on some curves and see how it feels. I have an off ramp by my house that I use to test suspension settings. It's a left right transition, kind of bumpy, so if I have a suspension problem it usually shows up there.

Ves
NESBA #747
Still don't know what I want to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode