aftermarket parts on track days - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to twixt
aftermarket parts on track days

are aftermarket parts like framesliders allowed and whatnot? i signed up for pocono fusa 2.5 on august 14th anyone else going?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 01:04 PM

yes framesliders are allowed on racetracks. Cages are not allowed.

One of the best purchases for the track are a set of tirewarmers. You will not have to 'waste' your time the first couple of laps getting the tires up to temp. they will give you the most riding time at full speed, and save you from loosing grip and rashing up your bike.

I found an where the guy is selling new sets for $200, but you have to buy 3 sets. If not they are $300 set seperately.

Does anyone know or have used a powerconverter from Checkers or Autozone? I was thinking of buying one to hook up to my lighter, which would power the tirewarmers. I don't want to buy a generator. Or what about this one from Walmart?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3371539

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:38 PM

You can use an inverter, but to use the warmers with one requires that you buy one of Expensive inverters, that can cost almost as much as a generator...check out the generators at pep boys...under 350.00 ..sorry, I don't have a link for em..

Re: warming your tires up...If you use the Pirelli Supercorsa's...1 lap should be plenty..

can't speak for other brands of tires..although the 208 gpa's take a lap or 2 longer, cuzz they are a med compound as oppsoed the soft pirelli's..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to twixt
how do i tell if my brake pads will pass spec. and i have a crack in my fairing and the tech for reduc says... 8. all body work must be securly fastened and free of breaks. will it pass?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 06:49 PM

When they state free of cracks, I believe they mean the fairing is so damaged that going down the straightaways at top speed will blow the fragmented fairing onto the track. If you just have a hairline crack, don't worrry about it. If the crack is more severe than that I would put some fiberglass matting and resin on the backside. Search for an old link for repairing bodywork.

There is a groove on your brake pads. When the mating surface of the pad is worn down to the groove it is time to replace the pads. Tech will shine a flashlight into the calipers and look for the same thing that I just explained.

Hammer, so a $40 inverter from walmart that puts out 110 amps can not supply enough power for tirewarmers that require 110 amps or volts, whatever. Please elaborate.

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.TrevorClever

Hammer, so a $40 inverter from walmart that puts out 110 amps can not supply enough power for tirewarmers that require 110 amps or volts, whatever. Please elaborate.
It's not the 110..it's the wattage, min. for warmers is something like 1100 watts...and I doubt that 40.00 inverter will supply that much...there was a thread about this very subject on another site....have a look. http://www.gixxer.com/ubbthreads/sho...page=0#1636391

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 09:47 PM

sorry to take over you thread Twixt

Hammer,
I found Tyrsox require 700watts per set. There are plenty of inverters I have found in the 800 to 1000watt range. The problem I think I might have is that they are no-name brands at Pepboys. One is a Vecktor 800 watt for $60 the other is a Vecktor 1000watt for $100. Im unsure if getting these no-name brands is like getting a no-name 3000watt car amplifier that really only puts out 200 watts.

I think I would use a UHaul truck to get my bike to the track. Could I simply plug into the lighter with the truck off, or would I need to let it idle for the 40min it takes to heat the tires?
What about this picture of a Coleman 2000watt on Ebay that sold for $250? Judging by the size of the wires, does it need to hook to the battery instead of thru the lighter??

thanks

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:34 PM

sorry, forgot about the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inverter.jpg (30.7 KB, 66 views)

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.TrevorClever
sorry to take over you thread Twixt

Hammer,
I found Tyrsox require 700watts per set. There are plenty of inverters I have found in the 800 to 1000watt range. The problem I think I might have is that they are no-name brands at Pepboys. One is a Vecktor 800 watt for $60 the other is a Vecktor 1000watt for $100. Im unsure if getting these no-name brands is like getting a no-name 3000watt car amplifier that really only puts out 200 watts.

I think I would use a UHaul truck to get my bike to the track. Could I simply plug into the lighter with the truck off, or would I need to let it idle for the 40min it takes to heat the tires?
What about this picture of a Coleman 2000watt on Ebay that sold for $250? Judging by the size of the wires, does it need to hook to the battery instead of thru the lighter??

thanks
O.K....you didn't say that you were using the "low wattage " Tyrsox... Most of the Chickenhawks, and other upper end warmers require more out put, around 100 to 1600 watts...so, you may be o.k...?

I have no idea about the Coleman 2000 watt dealybob..

I personally don't use warmers...with the temps we have at the track...there's no need for em..and even if you had to do 2 laps to warm up your tires...you still get so much track time anyways...2 groups, 20 on, 20 off...

Also, keep in mind that the Coleman in the pic..isn't having to continuesly put out power, as would have to with tire warmers...I have seen guys at the track using inverters, the 2 I saw, it was conected to the battery.. Give a try..and post up how it works for you...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 04:35 PM

thanks for the info. I haven't got any tirewarmers. Im only trying to find the best approach or cheapest approach. I suppose you are right about a soft tire on a hot track would supply enough heat. I only have experience at Portland International Raceway on Dunlop D207Gp's. Of course the NW is a cool climate and track would be also. The problem other riders w/o tirewarmers as well as I had was there are 9 right hand turns and 2 left hand turns. It seemed everyone always went down in turn 3 a left hander, because that side of the tire never got to temp. Does that sound possible?

There is a trackday at Firebird on August 7th. It'll probably be 115 degrees that day, so the track will be hot. I can't seem to locate a cheap set skins, so I will take it easy at the track, and I will only have Michelin Pilotpower street tires. They came on the bike new, but aren't they also a medium-hard compound? Would two warmup laps be enough to trust the tires?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode