Hot wire ignition for track bike? (long) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Hot wire ignition for track bike? (long)

Hey guys I just aquired a set of billet triples (thanks Ebay!!!) and guess what they don't have a mount for the ignition switch. I gave my best go at hot wiring it but it seems as though I was unsucessful. After looking at the wiring diagram I jumpered the hot wire to two of the three other wires (which is what the switch does in the on position). The one wire that isn't jumpered goes to the ignition box but doesn't get jumpered to the hot wire when the switch is on. After that I tested the bike and it turned on and turned over but I wasn't ready to start it. I put all the plastic back on and now it cranks but never starts. The only other thing I did was clean out the gas tank and filter so the lines were dry and I figured it was just taking a bit to fill up the floats in the carbs. Next thing I know the battery is dying bc it's been cranking so long. So my two questions are:

1. Does anyone know if I have to do something with the wire that goes to the ignition? Ground it maybe?

2. And I'm trying to think of a longer term solution bc now that it's hot wired I have to pull the ignition harness under the seat to turn the dash lights off. I'm thinking of picking up a toggle switch of some sort bc once I put the solo tail on there won't be an easy way to pull the seat off (if you have ever seen an F4 with a solo tail that uses the stock seat you know what I'm talking about). What do most of you guys do with your track bikes? The guy that I go to the track with has a suzuki and the kill switch on the clip on also turns on the bike. I don't know if that's a suzuki thing or some custom wiring. I'm thinking of picking up a toggle switch of some sort bc once I put the solo tail on there won't be an easy way to pull the seat off (if you have ever seen an F4 with a solo tail that uses the stock seat you know what I'm talking about).

Just to make it more difficult I also drive this bad boy on the streets every once in a while so something not so obvious might be good... I can't help it I'm poor.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

I figured it out with the help of a fellow WSMC racer but he urged me not to post it up since it's the key to stealing my bike. Thank god for the antitheft features on all bikes bc I am positive that is why the guys who stole my bike a while back ditched it a couple blocks from my house after they couldn't get it started. If any fellow racers need this information get in touch with me and I will help you out.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode