Track Bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Track Bike

hello,
i am new to the street/sport bike world. i have been riding dirtbikes since i was a little guy. i love motorcross and ride as often as possible. my bike right now is an 02 honda cr250r. i like two strokes but my next dirtbike will be a four stroke. now for the million dollar question. i plan on getting my motorcycle lic. and attend a few riding classes or schools. i would like to play on a track. i live in az and have been looking at aztrackday.com. i dont plan on riding on the street, maybe a sunday drive in the mts every once and a while. my subaru wrx keeps my happy on the street. i have had my wrx on the track a few times but its to hard to have a daily driver as a track car. so as i asked before i would like to have a track bike that goes on the street once a month tops. what size bike, what model, what cc, ect. i would like a bike that everyone else has so i can get help with tech and parts. any ideas? thanks for your help. ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

hummmm, 30 views and not a single reply. i guess i might be on my own.....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 06:51 PM

how much you want to spend, how fast do you want to go! How much of a dare devil are you.. I also ride MX bikes but at this time ride a 125 and if I was to get a track bike I would go for either a 250 ninja, 500 ninja, or maybe a Suzuki SV650.. I love the cornering but not much into speed. SV650s are pretty fast but not at top speed,, also not too expensive.. most newer 95 up 600s are sweet and very close to as fast as the 750s...

Riding a 250 MX bike is around the equivilent of a 600 to 750 street bike... not really but you know what I mean

CR125 or street 250 to 500, not really that much power but you can still get into trouble. CR250 or street 600 to 750 not crazy power but if you're not paying attention or grab a handfull of throttle at the wrong time and it's pucker time. MX 500/ open class or street 900 to 1200,, just crazy power can bite you at anytime, even when you are paying attention, barely able to keep the front wheel on the ground.

2003 ZR-7S
1999 Husqvarna CR 125

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

yeah i do understand what happens when you grab a bit to much throttle. lets just say i have gone through my fair share of rear fenders. i rode a kx500 for a few weeks before i bought my cr250. the kx was a beast, not size wise but in power and top end. i like corning but i also like top end. im thinking a 600 sportbike would be a good starter bike for me. they are everywhere and i would bet everyone and there brother can help me with tech issues. i looked into the sv's but i have not seen where there advantages are. is the power delivery smoother, does it corner better. what is the deal. i have compared weights between the sv and the 600 sportbikes. its seems like a close race. what is the power delivery like on a 600, do you need to be in the revs all the time. that would be cool if they acted like a two stroke powerband, then the transition would be easier. overall i cant imagine the motorcycle riding basics between dirtbikes and streetbikes differs greatly. correct me if im wrong. thanks for the help. ryan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

any ideas
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 07:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar7R Send a message via Yahoo to Kevlar7R
Go for a used SV650. They are a V-twin, so its relatively lower revving, torquey motor. It has a much flatter powerband then the 2 stroke you are used to, but that is good. It will help you learn smooth throttle control.

On the dirt fast throttle movements are good, on the street, they are very bad. On the dirt, you got used to adapting fast to sliding tires, and bike movement. This will come in handy on the street, but you have to be smoother, more deliberate on the street. You have to have every body movement and control input planned way in advance, but still be able to adapt should things change.

Call up Don Orton at RideSmart Motorcycle training, and take an MSF course. http://www.ridesmartmotorcycle.com/
You'll be bored through much of it, but hang in there, he'll teach you some things that will save your life someday. And you get your license out of it too!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice. ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode